DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Reaction to Rand (EOTW)

Ryan al'Thor

The Forsaken are feared because they are evil people who can channel. Men who can channel are feared because they become crazy people who can channel.

Who would you fear more, an evil mafia boss, or a crazy psychopath? For most people, there's little difference.

Well Lan and Moraine were also trying to downplay Rand saving everyone around the group since that would of brought up a lot of questions.  Nyn and Egwene had to deal with the shock he could channel, like the forsaken a man who could channel were stories all had heard growing up and few things were as terrifying as a man who could channel.  They also weren't really in the loop of everything Rand did, except his claiming to of killed the DO.

I think as you continue to read and understand the history, you can understand. I honestly felt the same way initially, as whilst you know early on as a reader that male channelers go 'mad', I pictured 'mad' as in a  babbling buffoon who is no longer able to function...not the dark dangerous reality! I also agree with @Sabio, it was definately downplayed by Moraine for the other characters benefit. Happy reading, I am on my first read-through, up to book 8.