DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Festival of Light and Shadow: Discussion

Dar'Jen Ab Owain

• RP - LEGACY

So with the Black Tower Festival of Light and Shadow, figured a discussion was in order. I'm going with atmosphere. Think of movies or shows where there was a particular use of Light or Shadow that gave the piece a unique feel and definitely added to the atmosphere.

For me, a great example is Pitch Black. It covers both. While it was set on a planet with three runs and continuous daylight, the use of Light was tinted. Gave great effect of the different suns having an effect. Then when there is an alignment that occurs that plunges the planet into total darkness, the final glimmers of light are used well. At last there is darkness and then shades eerily cast as they struggle against these creatures. 

So, what movies or shows can you think of that use shadow and light to get effect. They produce an atmosphere that would not otherwise exist.

I am eager to hear from you.

Hm... I rarely notice those things. But kind of related - I re-watched Schindler´s List last week. It´s a black and white movie, except for a little girl that has a red coat. She really stands out, being the only one being in colour. It´s so sad to see what is happening to her. 

I watch a lot of black and white movies. I don't think there's been a better use of light and shadow than Lugosi's Dracula. You understand why they call it the silver screen when you see the way the light shone and contrasted with the impossibly black velvet shadows. The old dark house does some very cool things with light and movement, white curtains billowing in the dark hallway as the storm moves in, the shimmering silvery white movement of one of the actresses dresses. Frankenstein and bride of Frankenstein do incredible things with shadows and light, casting religious imagery over some of the scenes, in case anyone was missing it from the story and dialogue. James whale did great things with light and shadow in general, which is beautifully homaged in gods and monsters, really unusual in a color film.  And... I should stop typing there's too many words to say. See those movies if you haven't tho, and listen to roger eberts commentaries if you can. He uses good words.

• RP - LEGACY

You both brought up good points. I will need to (re)watch these.

Since modern movies utilize CGI so readily, I think looking at classics can give us a better appreciation for the play of shadow and light. Black and white movies especially had to be aware of the contrast.

You know who didn't use it well was that one episode in the last season of GoT when they started really fighting the deaders and everything was so dark you couldn't see what was happening. We rewatched it recently and I think they went through and lightened it up because it was much easier to see what was going on. I think they meant the darkness and confusion to make us feel the darkness and confusion of battling or maybe just to save some money, but it didn't work.