DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Liitha

Good reads?

So apart from harry potter ? you all read any good fantasy lately? Or you just waiting on the wot series and following rolle casts like the rest of us?

I've been re-reading the Game of Thrones series over the last year.

I've been reading the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett over the last year as well (first time reading for this one.)

Last year I re-read Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams.

I've been re-reading our very own Moon Sedai's first book, in preparation for reading her second book. My Lady Olives and My Lost Arthur by Mandy Oviatt. They are very good. 

4 hours ago, JamesBrown said:

I've been reading the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett over the last year as well (first time reading for this one.)

Which ones have you read? How are you liking them? Did you know they're starting to shoot a series based on the Watch, right here in South Africa? And my niece has auditioned for a part!

Posted (edited)
On 10/7/2019 at 12:56 PM, Elgee said:

Which ones have you read? How are you liking them? Did you know they're starting to shoot a series based on the Watch, right here in South Africa? And my niece has auditioned for a part!

I happened to have listened to Unseen Academicals on audiobook and loved, loved, loved it. It was my first Pratchett novel, so I resolved myself to remedy that deficit by reading them in the order they were published. So far I've read:

• The Colour of Magic
  • The Light Fantastic
  • Equal Rites
  • Mort
  • Sourcery
  • Wyrd Sisters
  • Pyramids
  • Guards! Guards! (I'm in the middle of this one now.)

When you say they're shooting a series about the Watch, do you mean the Night Watch? They're the main characters in Guards! Guards! and quite humorous. Best of luck to your niece. That sounds like a fun project to be a part of.

No one is more worried by the actual physical manifestation of a god than his priests; it's like having the auditors in unexpectedly.

It is now known to science that there are many more dimensions than the classical four. Scientists say that these don't normally impinge on the world because the extra dimensions are very small and curve in on themselves, and that since reality is fractal most of it is tucked inside itself. This means that either the universe is more full of wonders than we can hope to understand or, more probably, that scientists make things up as they go along.

Rincewind had been generally reckoned by his tutors to be a natural wizard in the same way that fish are natural mountaineers.

Unseen University had never admitted women, muttering something about problems with plumbing, but the real reason was an unspoken dread that if women were allowed to mess around with magic they would probably be embarrassingly good at it.

Edited by JamesBrown
typo

Dont read as much but started on audible mystics and just added warrior of altaii today (bougth it but split about starting a new one before finishing the ones I already started)

20 hours ago, JamesBrown said:

When you say they're shooting a series about the Watch, do you mean the Night Watch? They're the main characters in Guards! Guards! and quite humorous. Best of luck to your niece. That sounds like a fun project to be a part of.

Yep the Night Watch indeed. And Guards! Guards! is one of my all time favourite books! I absolutely love the whole Night Watch "series". Though I love all the other TP's too ?

I'm really looking forward to that @Elgee - it's very exciting that it's being filmed near you.

I love Discworld - I think I like the Night Watch are my fav's too - I think Feet of Clay is my fav.

I actually didn't like Unseen Academicals very much, apart from one reference to a certain axe. But that's the only miss for me out of all of them. It's interesting cos you can really see how he developed the world from the more focused parodies in the early books to developing the recurring characters.

there is an amdram group round here that do a Discworld play every year and they are awesome.

I'm gonna be starting a WoT re-read shortly: gotta get all that knowlegde fresh in my mind so I can 'ummm, well actually in the *book*' properly when the time is right 😄

I've been slowly working through my first read of The Silmarillion.  Very slowly. 

That's not a page turner ayup.

I'm listening to the outlander series. It's better than I expected. And indeed, every cat and child in my family since my mom started reading these when they came out has an outlander name. They thought I'd never read them but now I know. 

I read the Shadow and Bone trilogy years ago, but I just finished the sequel duology (Six of Crows and The Crooked Kingdom), and then the first book in the duology that further continues the story for a few of the characters (King of Scars) by Leigh Bardugo.  Very good!

I'm also in the middle of The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks.  It's the second in his Lightbringer trilogy.  It's a different take on magic than I've seen before and I'm highly enjoying it. 

Edited by keyholder21