DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who is Michael McElhatton playing?

JenniferL

My guess and my hope is Thom. I haven't seen him in anything else than GoT and Chernobyl, but a friend of mine described him this way: " McElhatton is famous for 'speaking with his eyes,' he's expert at the sidelong glance, the slightly raised eyebrow, the skeptical but always understated body language--in other words, no matter who he's playing, you just know that the character knows a very great deal more than he's saying or telling."

That just sounds perfect for Thom, and according to IMDB he is also known for his voice. No idea if he can sing or not. Also, any other male roles in episodes 1 and 2 are small parts, so thinking he wouldn't go for that.

Thom, Tam, or possibly Ishamael.  I'm leaning in heavily the direction of Thom.  Major enough to attract his talent, yet remote enough so that you don't have to spend that much time on him in the first season.  Although if it is Thom perhaps we don't want to look too closely at that multi-patched cloak of his

8 hours ago, Captainwilhelm96 said:

I doubt he's Tam since Two Rivers people are dark skinned in the show so it's more likely than not that he'll be played by a dark skinned actor.

Seems like the show is actually going with a very diverse Two Rivers rather, considering Mat (and presumably Tam), so there’s no reason he couldn’t be playing someone from there.

I mean Nyneave isn’t exactly super dark skinned, but she’s quite clearly of a different ethnicity than Mat. As for Rand he’s basically white as snow so regardless of Kari, it needs to be at least plausible that Tam is his real father, like Jennifer said.

5F6126D6-95D2-43EC-B399-61CDF1146117.jpeg

D6E7B2B3-A513-4CCC-85A2-84D247F425C9.jpeg

Edited by MasterAblar

He has a menacing appearance.  He can play that role quite well too.  My money is on Fain.  

That said, make-up and good acting can do wonders.  There are only so many choices from the first few chapters.  Very likely Tam, Thom or Fain. 

However, Tam doesn't appear much for a long time after they flee from the Two Rivers, so doubtful he plays Tam. 

Fain has mostly minor appearances after leaving Two Rivers.   But they could decide the flesh out his story? 

Thom is around quite a bit in book one, and they will need an actor that can be very serious at times.  

Thinking about it more, maybe he does play Thom?    I guess time will tell.  

If they expand Geoffram's role it could be him but as with Fain, he's not in EotW much and I think there's only so many characters, especially when the prime focus is on the Emonds Fielders. Having said that, I'm not sure you introduce Fain in season one as most of his evil is later, unless you show the creation of shaisam or whatever we call him. You have the ominous figure of Logain and probably witness his gentling, you have Ishamael and you have the guessing game of the Dragon. I'm not sure you want more antagonism.

• Community Administrator
48 minutes ago, unlabled said:

Fain or Tam, I think.  Who would be in the first or second episode?  Bornhald doesn't make as much sense. Even if he were in it, wouldn't have a huge scene.

For the White Cloaks pursuing Perrin story, it does make sense that they might expand his character.

I can totally see this actor playing that character, but I can't see him playing Fain. I don't think he looks like Fain in either or can pull off Fains' personalities.

Tam, I can maybe see. He's older, and has that 'old-soldiers body' look. 
But he has to push off that "I play evil characters" vibe, where as Bornhald isn't evil, he isn't good either so there wouldn't be much of a stretch there. I believe he could play a zealot pretty easily.

Edited by SinisterDeath

10 minutes ago, mistborn82 said:

Could he be Ishamael? So far we only know good characters, eventually we're going to have to get the Forsaken and he's the only one in EotW

Could be him to.
Course there's some kinda drama with Billy Zane over that role..

7 hours ago, mistborn82 said:

could be he hasn't heard of the series and didn't realize he has a maximum of three seasons before he's dead and there's another actor for Moridin.

That or he was given false promises by Red Eagle Entertainment, for a lead bad guy role, with that Amazon money in an long running TV show that will rival GoT in budget and longevity.

Also WoT a larger pontential fanbase as it's not as hard of a TV-MA as GoT was. Nor isn't anywhere near as crass and crude as the ice and fire books are, I mean I think we're clear that Mother's milk in a cup means the same as another curse that starts with mother but it's not the same. Though I'm sure amazon will get it sorted before they actually need Ishamael.

On 10/8/2019 at 10:58 PM, mistborn82 said:

could be he hasn't heard of the series and didn't realize he has a maximum of three seasons before he's dead and there's another actor for Moridin.

The way I heard it is that Billy Zane is actually a big fan of the books and didn't know all that well what he was stepping into. So that would indicate he knows very well who Ishamael is and how long he'll be with the series. 

2 hours ago, Polskija said:

The way I heard it is that Billy Zane is actually a big fan of the books and didn't know all that well what he was stepping into. So that would indicate he knows very well who Ishamael is and how long he'll be with the series. 

What's funny is, I think he'd be perfect for Asmodean.