DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin Goldeneyes and Egwene

agreddon

I've been wondering this for a while, and maybe one of you can figure this out: okay, in the Eye of the World, Nynaeve is the first one to bring up his golden eyes, but Egwene had been with him the longest. When, exactly, did they change, and why didn't she bring it up? She was the Wisdom's apprentice, after all.

Egwene probably associated the change with the wolves. She likely recognized that Elyas has yellow eyes and assumed they were part of his connection with them. When Perrin admitted he could speak to wolves, it would have been natural to assume the same cause.

Nyn's whole purpose for going on the trip was to watch out for the young from her village. It makes sense that she would look them over with a more discerning eye. Egwene was just along for the "adventure". Egwene didn't remark because she knew why they had changed. She had seen Elyas with his yellow eyes and could make the connection. Also, the change may have been gradual enough that she didn't realize what she was seeing. With Nyn, the change was more drastic in that the last time she saw Perrin, he had his normal brown eyes.

Nyn's whole purpose for going on the trip was to watch out for the young from her village. It makes sense that she would look them over with a more discerning eye. Egwene was just along for the "adventure". Egwene didn't remark because she knew why they had changed. She had seen Elyas with his yellow eyes and could make the connection. Also' date=' the change may have been gradual enough that she didn't realize what she was seeing. With Nyn, the change was more drastic in that the last time she saw Perrin, he had his normal brown eyes.[/quote']

I could buy that, but wouldn't she have mentioned it to Perrin? I think that he would have liked to know what it was ("You can talk to them. I should have suspected when your eyes turned."), you have the Whitecloaks. They seem to be the type that would kill a person if something drastic like that happened. At the very least, they probably wouldn't have been visiting him that often; since Nynaeve thought initially it was yelloweye fever, I think they may have drawn to the same conclusion and kept as far away as possible.

Egwene was there when Elyas told Perrin that the wolves said he was a wolfbrother, though she didn't believe it. Later when his eyes changed after facing down Ba'alzamon in the World of Dreams she makes a comment "He was right. You are like him."

Later in the series she shows in her thinking several times that she knows Perrin is a wolfbrother, but that that was his secret to reveal and that she wouldn't.

She was with him when it began also making it possibly less obvious if it was a gradual change which I think it was. It's like say...a child growing. You're around them every day so their height doesn't change a noticable amount between each time you see them. Then someone they don't see for months at a time goes "omg look how much you've grown!"

I believe it actually specifically states somewhere (I don't remember exactly where and I don't feel like searching for it xD) that Perrin's eyes are not completely golden until he actually accepts who he is. I believe it is Hopper that says this, or some other wolf. Either way, I know that there is textual evidence to support that it was a gradual change.

I could buy that' date=' but wouldn't she have mentioned it to Perrin? I think that he would have liked to know what it was ("You can talk to them. I should have suspected when your eyes turned."), you have the Whitecloaks.[/quote']

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that people in these books actually communicate with each other.

I believe it actually specifically states somewhere (I don't remember exactly where and I don't feel like searching for it xD) that Perrin's eyes are not completely golden until he actually accepts who he is. I believe it is Hopper that says this' date=' or some other wolf. Either way, I know that there is textual evidence to support that it was a gradual change.[/quote']

I think that quote was Hopper referring to how his protection in the WoD wasn't complete until he accepted the wolves as part of him..... remember that Baalzamon killed at least one wolf in a dream before Perrin accepted things.

That being said it is possible that his eyes didn't entirely change until he accepted the wolves, however I believe there are mentions from either Mat or Rand about how his eyes are golden vs. brown. I feel like if there was a gradual change until he accepted things RJ would have said something like gold-tinged, or goldish.

I'm at work now so I can't produce a quote but I'm pretty certain there's at least one instance of someone (maybe Egwene) looking at Perrin's eyes and being unsure whether they were different or if it was their imagination and then later deciding that they are in fact different.

Archived