DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Road Trip Pics - feel free to post your own too

Elgee

Last week our National Parks gave free entry to all South African citizens, so 2 of my sisters and I went down to the West Coast National Park, which is the area in which we grew up (mostly).

Here are a few photos I took. The quality isn't great, because it's just cell phone camera, unfortunately.

image.png.e78cbc53f539ba53903b4e4cbf7e016e.png

• Elgee locked this topic
  • Elgee unlocked this topic

Very nice Elgee!

They do a similar thing here except with fancy buildings and what not. It's called Open Door week and buildings that would normally be closed to the public are open for tours etc. I always mean to remember it and every year I forget ? But I'm glad you and your sisters are taking advantage of it!

Every year Historic Scotland do an Open Doors weekend and offer a set number of tickets for loads of different properties around the country. Took advantage last year and we went to see Tantallon Castle and Direlton Castle, both fairly local to us in the Lothians. It's an awesome way to get into these places. Hoping this year to go see Blackness Castle where some of the filming for Outlander was done. It's even closer to home, we've just been lazy about going.

A few photos I managed to salvage from my phone of Tantallon, a mid-14th century castle/fortress and home to the infamous Red Douglas family. The weather was mixed, to say the least, for a November day in Scotland. Amazed it didn't snow too. Had great fun running along the ramparts and climbing up and down the crazy steep steps inside the walls. The castle lies due east of Edinburgh on the coast, and sits on the cliffs above the North Sea. The "island" is the Bass Rock with its lighthouse, famous for its bird colonies.

Tantallon1.JPG

Tantallon3.JPG

Tantallon2.JPG

IMG_20181125_105804.jpg

IMG_20181125_105816.jpg

IMG_20181125_105200.jpg

IMG_20181125_105004.jpg

IMG_20181125_111943.jpg

IMG_20181125_114710.jpg

On 9/24/2019 at 7:27 PM, blank said:

Very nice Elgee!

They do a similar thing here except with fancy buildings and what not. It's called Open Door week and buildings that would normally be closed to the public are open for tours etc. I always mean to remember it and every year I forget ? But I'm glad you and your sisters are taking advantage of it!

That sounds like a wonderful idea! You must have the most amazing buildings there.

Here we also get to go up Table Mountain with the cable car for free on our birthdays, but mine falls smack bang in the middle of their yearly maintenance, when it's down ?

I've been up twice (paying), and it's really gorgeous:

image.png.4bd76a1a16aec951700e276f13cd0177.png