DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Reader!

Wander89

Hey Everyone!

New reader here. Starting my journey with Eye of the World as we speak so will steer clear of the other areas of the forum for a little while. My name is Graham and I stay in Scotland.

Bit of background: I've basically came from Brandon Sanderson (I know, I know) but I've been such a massive fan of the Cosmere that I thought it time to move to a new fantasy setting and where else better! My grandad gave me a copy of EOTW before he passed and I never read it, probably because I was young and had painful memories, but now I think it's time to break down those walls and get going.

Apart from the Cosmere, I find myself reading Middle Earth, Earthsea, Kingkiller and a bunch of other stories. I won't promise I will delve in as far as I necessarily want to with this epic but I'll certainly try. I'm excited to get lost in this world, especially with the TV series coming up but that's a completely different topic.

Hopefully get back to you all shortly with an update! ?

Lovely to meet you! Now, are you a fellow Scot or just resident here? Welcome to DM anyway, hope you love it as much as we all do. If you're a Sanderson fan, you might like to check out the Clubs tab up there ^^^ and check out the Cosmere club. That'll save you from any spoilers in the WoT areas. Plenty fans of Middle Earth here too. The Earthsea books are a fond memory from being a kid. Le Guin is a magical storyteller.

Pull up a chair, make yersel' at hame, laddie. :laugh:

2 minutes ago, Taymist said:

Lovely to meet you! Now, are you a fellow Scot or just resident here? Welcome to DM anyway, hope you love it as much as we all do. If you're a Sanderson fan, you might like to check out the Clubs tab up there ^^^ and check out the Cosmere club. That'll save you from any spoilers in the WoT areas. Plenty fans of Middle Earth here too. The Earthsea books are a fond memory from being a kid. Le Guin is a magical storyteller.

Pull up a chair, make yersel' at hame, laddie. :laugh:

Living just outside of Glasgow for my 30 years of existence! I'll give everything a further look tomorrow when it isn't past midnight but thanks for the reply!

Earthsea was my first foray into fantasy so will always hold a place close to me ?

Y'know, every time someone speak in Scot it reminds me of Graham McTavish in Outlander ?

Ha ha. Gotta love a bit of Outlander. I suspect your own accent is broader than mine if you're a west coaster. I'm a Fifer born and bred, but I've been away longer than I ever lived there now. Over in Livi at the moment. I just like to indulge on the forums and confuse the sassenachs. :wink: Sleep well, and enjoy your look around tomorrow. Don't hesitate to shout if you need anything, usually plenty of us staff around to help.

2 minutes ago, Taymist said:

Ha ha. Gotta love a bit of Outlander. I suspect your own accent is broader than mine if you're a west coaster. I'm a Fifer born and bred, but I've been away longer than I ever lived there now. Over in Livi at the moment. I just like to indulge on the forums and confuse the sassenachs. :wink: Sleep well, and enjoy your look around tomorrow. Don't hesitate to shout if you need anything, usually plenty of us staff around to help.

Pretty broad, I'd imagine, to those non particularly accustomed to the Western accent.

I'm up Kirkcaldy way for my partners work (taxi-ing) almost daily! And usually only in Livingston if the shopping centres close to Glasgow are not opened!

Thanks for the jolly response anyway, hope to be getting a bit more involved soon. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

On 9/15/2019 at 1:23 AM, Wander89 said:

My grandad gave me a copy of EOTW before he passed and I never read it, probably because I was young and had painful memories, but now I think it's time to break down those walls and get going.

What a cool thing for a granddad to do! I hope you have fond memories of him.

Welcome to DM - there will be spoilers all over the place but hopefully you'll manage to have some fun here. Taymist gave good advice *grins*

4 minutes ago, Elgee said:

What a cool thing for a granddad to do! I hope you have fond memories of him.

Welcome to DM - there will be spoilers all over the place but hopefully you'll manage to have some fun here. Taymist gave good advice *grins*

I know, and they definitely are fond!

Thanks very much, I've read some major parts here and there over the years so not too much to be spoiled with however I hope experiencing it first hand would be more ideal.

Welcome to DM! Never apologize for coming over from Brandon Sanderson. Please keep posting as you read the books. It is thrilling for me when new readers begin the series. I drove my family crazy wanting to talk to them as they read the series. I think that's half the reason some of them never finished..just to keep my from bugging them. 

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Taymist said:

Fun! Thanks for updating us on your progress, we do like vicariously re-living it through other people's eyes lol. :laugh: Do you have a favourite character or scene at this point? 

I'm not gonna say the usual Rand/Mat/Perrin because I'm sure everyone's heard it all before. I'm gonna say Loial right now, he's got a lot to discuss and I do like a good story!