DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Basel Gill

Outside the Cosmere

I'm just wondering as to what people's experiences have been here with Sanderson's non-Cosmere work. So far all I've read have been the Reckoners, the Rithmatist, and I picked up the minibook containing the short stories Defending Elysium and Firstborn at Jordancon in 2013. Skyward is sitting on my Kindle waiting to be read, and just today I bought the ebook box set of the full Alcatraz series. 

So far I've liked everything I read, but my favorite has been The Rithmatist. I really enjoyed the magic system and want to see more of the alternate world he set up. What about everyone else? 

Hey @Basel Gill, I've found Sanderson's non-Cosmere work as engaging as his Cosmere work. Snapshot is a fun novella that expands upon the imagination of using time-devices for police work and the Legion collection has many twists and turns as a standard Sanderson novel. Skyward is pretty great, it's a refreshing take on science fiction for Sanderson and I'll be looking to read it before Starsight comes out in the next few months.

The Rithmatist was a damn good read, too. I only found out after that a sequel was planned and not yet in the works so was kinda bummed about that. I have yet to read Reckoners myself but I think after watch Amazon's The Boys, it might pale in comparison.

I would give Skyward a read. It's an easy read and the next one is out shortly! It can be quite bulky though whereas his other books are much shorter

I find myself  a little bit reluctant to read non-cosmere because I'm thinking 'surely this can't be as good as cosmere'.

Is it?

That being said I've read Snapshot and really really enjoyed that.

I'd say they arent as intricate and do fall short as they don't have much lore or expansion but as standalone novels, you could read worse but they are enjoyable for a quick, easy read 

15 minutes ago, Elaevia said:

any suggestions of where to start?

If you have already read Snapshot then Legion is a similar detective-vibe story. Rithmatist is my personal favourite about a magic school whose magic system is drawing lines with various degrees of actions. 

1 hour ago, Elaevia said:

I find myself  a little bit reluctant to read non-cosmere because I'm thinking 'surely this can't be as good as cosmere'.

Is it?

That being said I've read Snapshot and really really enjoyed that.

Oh Via they're so good! And they fall more towards mistborn era 2/warbreaker sense of humour than the slightly more traditional fantasy of mistborn era 1/stormlight archive- so I know you'll enjoy them! 

I super enjoyed skyward actually. And the Reckoners trilogy starting with steelheart is good fun too!