DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
more rain

Which of the cast and crew concern you most?

On 10/31/2019 at 3:08 AM, imlad said:

I think I saw that Harriet had input on the casting, but I doubt she had veto or final say. And I think Brandon said he only got to see audition tapes or something. I might be misremembering. I do not at all blame Hayden Christianson for what he did with Anakin Skywalker. I believe he just worked with the script he was given, the little (read that as "no") directing he was given by Lucas, and the fact that they had no rehearsals. I've heard numerous critics and entertainment pundits say that Hayden has put in great performances in many other projects, so I don't doubt that he is a good actor, he just had crap to work with (including working opposite an actor, Natalie, who didn't even want to be there). Oh, and Nae'blis is awesome. If the series becomes as big of a hit as we all hope, his channel is going to explode and he'll dang near be a rockstar LOL. Poor poor Daniel...

I'm expecting a mix of practical and CGI for the Trollocs and especially on the Myrddraal. For the Fades the eyeless face would be practical makeup, but the cloak would be entirely a CG creation so that it only moves due to the movement of the actor. I've thought about this way to much (many nights laying in bed trying to fall asleep), and this is the only solution I can think of to keep the Fade's cloak from moving in response to the wind. Multiple Myrddraal would also require CGI; since all Fades look the identical they would all be played by the same actor (I really want Adrian Brody for this), and that would necessitate cloning him with a computer for shots of more than one. Large masses of Trollocs would be done in the computer instead of in the camera as well, that's cheaper and easier than making prosthetics and masks for dozens or more Trollocs. Wide shots of certain Trollocs, namely ones with highly non-human feet and legs, will have to be CG-ed to give them the appropriate legs (the actors would be wearing chromakey socks/boots).

That doesn't require CGI at all. Peter Jackson did that with the Hobbits and Gimli in The Lord of the Rings movies with just forced perspective alone, although they did build some special sets so that they could have moving cameras while doing this trick shot. Check out the special features on the DVD set of the Extended Edition of The Fellowship of the Ring to see and learn more. It might also be on YouTube by now, if NewLine hasn't had it taken down.

For really close up scenes, when the characters are literally face to face with Trollocs and forced perspective isn't an option, the stunt performers playing the Trollocs would be wearing some sort of stilts or be standing on appleboxes.

There are myriad tricks that they have come up with for this sort of thing over the years. You don't need a computer to do it. That said, as you can see from above, I do think CG should be used for some aspects of the Shadowspawn.

I am hoping the show puts forward a feminist agenda, and is LGBT friendly. Rafe can throw as much of that first one in there as he wan-- What? Huh? Those are in the books? Oh! 😲 Okay... 🤔Yeah he can still push those agendas all he wants.

I hope David is fine with that. But if he stops watching, sad as that might be, that's just one person lost. Maybe a couple more, who know how many friends he has, and how many would have watched in the first place. I'm sure the show will survive that tragedy. 

And so far, the only people I have seen raising concerns about this show have been worrying about some sort of pro-gay agenda from Rafe because he's gay and the showrunner. I've literally seen some idiot on YouTube say they are worried Rafe's going to have two of the Emond's Field boys get together.

Basically, by bringing your baseless concern up, you outed your self (or at the least colored yourself) as someone frightened by the Progress and change our society has gone through over the past couple of decades when it comes to LGBT issues, as well as feminism. Doesn't matter if you are or not, that's the big ol' sticker you went and put on your forehead. 

He's already hinted that he wants to turn Rand-Elayne-Aviendha into a poly-amorous relationship,where Elayne and Aviendha are in love with each other and not just BFF's who share Rand.  So that will make the 3 page bath scenes FAR more interesting.

On 11/3/2019 at 1:29 PM, Dagon Thyne said:

He's already hinted that he wants to turn Rand-Elayne-Aviendha into a poly-amorous relationship,where Elayne and Aviendha are in love with each other and not just BFF's who share Rand.  So that will make the 3 page bath scenes FAR more interesting.

That 13% of me... okay okay, 14%!... will enjoy that!

On 10/31/2019 at 6:20 AM, SinisterDeath said:

New Spring, Pillow friends, written by RJ.

"Transgender"

Aran'gar. Man literally in a woman's body.

Also written by RJ.

As for concerns of Rand and his 3 Wives.

So, it's basically a better version describing how Min Loves Rand, but Aviendah & Elayne love each other, as well as Rand.

You didn't specify, but you clearly meant SJW. Beating around the bush.

Nothing presented about the show, about Rafe has had anyone complain his 'politics and social biases' and not use the word SJW to describe Rafe. I've never heard anyone accuse Rafe of trying to make the show too cis gender.

But you missed my point, and @imlad is taking it to far.

What I'm getting at, is that pretty much everyone who has complained about these so-called "politics or social biases" being injected into films, are finding things to get mad. They are looking for it.

Star Wars - Black Storm Trooper. Pink Haired Female Admiral

Dory - Gay dory and her Pipe Friend (They weren't gay, they were friends, that talked through a pipe)

Toy Story - Sporky is transgender because he's a spork. (No. Sporky is Sporky. If anything he's just suicidal)

Beauty and the Beast - Gay people. (Oh wow. They show the obvious gay guy dancing with the other obviously gay guy. Big Whoop.)

Those are all films in the last decade to get figuratively picketed/attacked by people, claiming that they are ruining their movies, their childhood, and children by injecting SJW/Gay/Transgender/Race Politics into films. 

Saying "The books to be held true to what is written" Is just a cop-out way of skirting around saying you don't want to see SJW politics injected into this show.

When I said

That's meant for anyone who's complaining about SJW Political agenda in their media. If you felt offended by that, I'm sorry, but it would seem I was right?

I probably did take it too far, and for that I apologize to all, and especially to @David Taulbee. I was triggered by the term "social poison" and reacted as if he was someone of a certain... well, I'll just drop it. I'm sorry. I was wrong to make an assumption and then jump all over David, and I'm sorry for doing such and for bringing conservative vs liberal politics into it, which I've since removed from my response post. It's my natural inclination to see almost everything through a sociopolitical lense (I'd probably be a Blue if I was an Aes Sedai -- well that or a Brown with my scholarly leanings; I waver between the two, can't I just be both?!?!?). I've been a bit of a pain in the arse for @SinisterDeath in this aspect a couple of times now, and I apologize to him as well. Sorry Sin. I'll try to behave.

All that said, I still think people just need to calm down, stop making assumptions of their own, and have a little faith in Rafe & Co. and trust that they know what in the Dark One's Prison they are doing. Just wait to see how the show plays out before you frakking freak out.span widget

Edited by SinisterDeath