DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Arie

New Member Welcome!

We are a pretty small and eclectic group and it feels right to give appropriate welcome! 

Our three NEWEST Joinee's since I've taken over are @RedFive @Cass and @Calindra!!

Soo.. what's your favorite thing to read, and your favorite -ship? (Your own, WoT or other Fandom?)

8 hours ago, Arie said:

We are a pretty small and eclectic group and it feels right to give appropriate welcome! 

Our three NEWEST Joinee's since I've taken over are @RedFive @Cass and @Calindra!!

Soo.. what's your favorite thing to read, and your favorite -ship? (Your own, WoT or other Fandom?)

Thanks for the welcome! :)

I'm a big fan of Kim Harrison's Hollow's series, loved Patrick Rothfuss' Name of the Wind (still waiting patiently for the third book), Jim Butcher has a place on my shelf,  including Robert Jordan's WoT (which I haven't re-read in decades).

I've been delving in Star Wars fiction writing for several years now, and was hoping to get back into the series and write some fiction,  but I just saw that WoT isn't allowed? :/

Given that,  I'm still pondering what I'll dive into. I'm loving the Dragon Prince series on Netflix, and I've been toying on creating myself a Moon Elf!!! <3  The show is really well done,  with a good range of characters, most of them noble with good intentions,  struggling with a darkness within them.  Some are more prone to restraint, others indulge their darker sides, unaware that they're corrupting themselves at the same time. They even have a mute general who uses sign language...! I was and still am very impressed with the show!!

3 hours ago, Calindra said:

but I just saw that WoT isn't allowed?

You will find this on all official WoT communities. While Robert Jordan specifically didn't feel troubled with us writing our own characters to explore his world (Roleplay), he very much didn't like changes to the characters he wrote. It's not uncommon with most writers, their characters are their stories to tell. Thus we have a Roleplay group, not a fanfiction group.

I really like the Hallow series too! I read book 2-5 at one point and put them down. I keep meaning to pick them up because I no longer remember them well. Butcher is a staple in our household. Husband has read through them 7 times now. (And counting)

I keep meaning to sit down and watch the Dragon Prince. I loved Avatar dearly and is a great go-to when i'm not feelign like watching much on TV. But there are so many other great things on TV, especially since Netflix added a bunch of asian drama. >.>

Edited by Arie

Belated thanks Arie!

I generally love any fantasy/sci-fi, am getting more into non-fiction bios and things as I age. Unfortuantely, being back at uni doesn't leave a lot of leisure-reading time these days! So more recently, I've really enjoyed reading up on the psychology of learning, and learning-theory ? Besides that, I've just finished audio-booking WoT to the end, and the RP's here keep me entertained.

I don't know if I have a favourite fandom, but I've been a member of DM's RP on and off since the beginning, and have always loved it.

Recommendations for anything new in the holidays would be gratefully accepted!

There are always so many good books coming out, it's often worth browsing the new releases. ?

Welcome @Pip And @Oddpositions! What brings you to our neck of the woods? What do you like to write?

Well I wanted to be 'Verin's notebook' first, but that was taken! So when I was thinking of someone else's something, Seaine and her thick black eyebrows kept popping into my head ? 

Hello btw ☺️ guess I might do a quick intro! Love reading and writing, though I do a lot more reading than writing these days. I love sci-fi, lots of alien invasion and post-apocalyptic stuff, sci-fi romance is great too, though it's hard to find a good author who can make it work.

I'm currently in the middle of rereading WoT, actually my very first reread funnily enough, since I first picked up tEotW twenty years ago. I used to RP a lot back in the day so have combed through the books a bit, just not properly read through a second time, and it's amazing how much there is to pick up the second time!

Anyway yes. Hi ?

Ooooh ?hiya

I went back to the books for the first time in years recently, and found the same thing!

Did you used to rp here? 

It's like a whole other layer that didn't exist the first time! And it's funny to read it not being the same age as the gang now too ☺️

Yeah I'm not sure if I RPed here. I started at the NWT, then was offline for ages before my parents bought a new computer (ahh the good old days), then when I came back the NWT had split, so I RPed mainly at silklantern. But I had chars at a few different sites so it's possible. It's actually really cool that Dragonmount is still around ?

I agree - I definitely missed a bit reading at age 13, and caught new layers listening to the last few books on audio recently. I'm not sure what you mean by NWT, but I was here from about '98/'99 originally, and also think it's cool that the place is still around!

Hi!  I'm new in town.  I do a bit of writing, and am supposed to be doing more.  I got into it writing sketch comedy which I would perform in ratty little basement theaters in NYC, and for classes in that kind of thing.  That was an outgrowth from acting an improv.  I'm very big on using improv for writing and co-creating, and I've taken a few classes on that and have been on like a low-key look-out for people to like direct in that kind of thing. 

I have two drafts for pilots that are in need of writing and editing.  One needs a big overhaul actually in terms of the vocabulary in the world.  I also have a screen play that is sort of in a circling pattern for now.  Two of the sketches I wrote I turned into one act plays, and my sketching writing in general has sort of turned into that.  I have a sketch that I wanted to make into a web series, a parody of the HBO series Young Pope, but that show died so the joke is like over.  

I saw this club and saw the NaNoWrMo forum entry and figured I'd join up and prepare to do the writing for November thing.  

Welcome Again Juan. I LOVE comedy. In high school I was in drama and advanced repertory theatre. I was a huge into improv.  My artistic endeavors took me away from the stage, but I still love comedy, improv, and of course the theatre. 

So what do you mean about using improv for writing?? 

There are so many ways improv is used for writing, but it definitely comes from performers and directors more so than writers or English majors.  It is not much different than turning improvised music into a written piece, and their are as many routes from i to w as there are people or groups.  

The oldest way I know about goes back to the Compass Theater and early Second City days, that's how it was told to me.  It was taught to me as an exercise called "screen writers" but I don't know if that is a great name for it.  Basically a director, or just someone, has a notebook and pen, and about 5 or more people get up divided evenly or as evenly as possible if an odd number.  (They might have preferred odd numbers, but that's me speculating on very little data) on either side of the playing area.  A suggestion (random word, newspaper headline, anything) is offered to the group that is up, and they do quick improvised two person scenes.  The first person on the one side of the room initiates the scene, generally with a line of dialogue, miming an activity, and anything else you use to initiate a scene.  The first person on the other side then comes in and responds/reacts and helps build the scene and they play the scene till the either they self-edit and end the scene or the person writing calls it.  They next scene is started and joined by the second person on each side.  This continues in order till everyone initiates an idea, either inspired by the suggestion or by something they saw in one of the scenes.   Then they all sit down and figure out what was worth keeping, and how to best put forward the comedic idea in any given scene. It might lead to "well it would be funnier if they were (some job or some kind of person), or if they were (some other place)" or things along those lines.  

It's not necessarily the case that these things got written down all that quickly.  I think it is the case that a lot of the sketches performed at the Second City were written down until long after they were established and worked on stage.  They might have been something like the scenario plays used in commedia dell'arte.

Another way is to have people ready to play, and before you start, make two lists: one of adjectives, and the other of jobs or circumstances or anything.  Then, you play those combinations and see what comes of it.  The more you do this, like anything in improv, the further away you get from hoky/corny stuff and into things the group would find have more meat on the bone.  This is a quick way to generate a ton of material, most of which might be useless, but it is so quick that after an hour or two you could have 15 ideas worth exploring with even if you threw away 40 (depending on how fast you play).  The key is how you play the ideas, not if the idea seems good or not (like anything in improv).  I saw people create scene around a homeless beggar who was also a financial adviser, and it was brilliant because of how it was played.

Something I didn't see much of in NYC but I think is more common elsewhere and might be how the Groundlings do things, is just when you are improvising and you find a character you like playing, keep playing them and write for them.  In NYC when I was active there, that was looked down upon (it was very hipsterish and snobbish and "cool" at least to themselves.  One teacher who moved to NYC from Chicago took half a class to remind us that nothing about this is cool, no one doing it was the cool kids in high school and she rattled off all the nerds and outcasts who were idolized because they got famous.)  I only add all that to say that I don't know much about the details about that approach, because rather than perfect a character, everything I did and was taught was about finding ways to play as many different and varied characters as possible.  

The very great Lennon Parham (who can be seen on the show Bless this Mess as Kay) had two shows of her own with her writing partner Jessica St Clair, where both were based on their improvisation.  I don't know how they came up with the premise for the shows, but the episodes all started with them improvising a bunch of scenes as all the characters, and then getting together with the writers and writing the episode.  The show The League was largely improvised where scenes were set up with "you guys are doing this. Action!" and they might play a scene many times till it worked.  The drawback to that is that great lines that came as result of something unique in the moment (like maybe involving some element of surprise) that the director liked and wanted repeated were difficult to reproduce the way it hit the first time it was played.  It might come down to like schools of acting, but the kinds of acting where you do not expect each performance to be the same are like improv-friendly, and ones that perfect the one way it is played might be tougher to work with in improv-- I think.  

The show Ten Items or Less was improvised.  The guy behind it, Jon Lehr, had actors come in for auditions; but, when they got there, they all had to fill out job applications for a job at a small independently owned supermarket called Greens and Grain.  One actress thought this was the cruelest joke her agent could possible pull on her to tell her to give up on acting.  However it was that she filled out the application though, it got her the job.  The applications became the basis for the characters they played on the show.

Over my time in that stuff, I came up with variations on exercises that I felt really could lead to improvised sit-coms or "dram-edies" (because after a certain point, improv is about playing good scenes and trusting the process.  It might not be funny but it better be good, and regardless of how wacky a character might be, they have to be human and real),  I've tried them out with people in a couple of ways, in workshops and in classes, and with a group that wanted to create a something big, but that group fell apart due to scheduling issues.  I found that certain improv long-forms (The Slacker in particular) lend themselves to creating 'playable' worlds where movies or sit coms can be born in.  I think certain processes lend themselves to helping to build episodes, but that is still an idea that sits on the back burner for me now. 

I'd be lying if I pretended I didn't want another crack at putting together as director a group of people to co-create sit-coms or web series using these improv things.  I put a lot of time and engergy into it.  NYC is too expensive for me to commute into.  

On 9/7/2019 at 12:46 PM, Arie said:

You will find this on all official WoT communities. While Robert Jordan specifically didn't feel troubled with us writing our own characters to explore his world (Roleplay), he very much didn't like changes to the characters he wrote. It's not uncommon with most writers, their characters are their stories to tell. Thus we have a Roleplay group, not a fanfiction group.

Well, I don't see why fan fiction would immediately impede on his work. Role Playing to me is acting a role either by table top or developing stories within the fictional context... I wouldn't write about Rand or Matt (for example) directly, but would really enjoy to take events from the books and show a different perspective from another character's PoV, or describe a thief catcher working the streets, or an Aiel fighting in the wetlands, yearning to see their home again. 

So to me, this interdiction is somewhat baffling... unless I'm misunderstanding 

something?

I think the break down is specific to the use of his characters. Writing Egwene, Rand, etc. Those lines are more "fanfic" while writing "Arie Sedai" for me would be Roleplay.

At least in that regard, what you are describing are 'kinda' okay, but definitely leans more into our Roleplay area.

@Maera Welcome!

I haven't been good with checking on all the thigns this month, but welcome to the club! ❤️

4 minutes ago, Arie said:

@Maera Welcome!

I haven't been good with checking on all the thigns this month, but welcome to the club! ❤️

Thankyou!