DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Elaevia

Cosmere or WoTverse? Which came first?

For me it was WoT.

Shortly after the Gathering Storm was when I first saw a Sanderson book in the flesh: not in a book shop but in an 24 hour supermarket. I had been looking, as I wanted to read some of his own stuff, so when I saw the Mistborn trilogy I snapped them up and thankfully actual book shops now stock him wohoo!

So what was first for you? Did you, like me, only pick up a Sanderson book because he finished WoT? Did you read WoT because you heard your favourite author Sanderson was involved? Was it neither, and you were equally aware of both of them?

I read Cosmere. And I started Wheel of Time because of him. (Which I still haven't finished ugh)

I was a member of the 17th shard, and heard about the dragonmount... somewhere? not sure.

I think it's safe to say that the Cosmere literally was born from the WoTverse at the moment the Creator imprisioned the Dark One.  Or maybe it was the moment Asmodean rounded the corner of the palace in Caemlyn and stammered, "You? No!"

It's good to see it goes both ways, as it were.

Ah Asmodean, do you think they still think 'I wonder what happened to him'

I'd never even heard of Sanderson or any of his existing work until sometime in 2009 when I learned he'd been chosen to finish WoT (while my memory is fuzzy on this, it may have also been when I first learned that Jordan was dead). I'm not sure I would have bothered trying his stuff at all if not for WoT, although I would almost certainly have heard of him somehow in the last ten years. He's become big enough that I would have to be living in a cave otherwise. 

I was a big Sanderson fan and read everything he had out and when I had to wait almost a full year for a new release, I decided that I would read Wheel of Time just so I could get some more Sanderson in at the end haha. Slightly obsessive but it turned out to be a very good decision as I remain a big fan of both them a decade on. 

that's awesome! I always assumed you were a WoT reader first blank, lol

I think I feel the same Cindy - it was only fairly recently that he became more widely available here

I found the first Mistborn book in a charity shop back in 2009 I think? Just picked it up by complete chance!