DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I need to pull this app back out and freshen up on my Spanish and learn some Italian before I traverse those two countries with my sister this coming May/June! We're hitting London, Seville, Granada, Rome, Pompeii, Florence, and Venice! Super excited (and while I love to hear about other's fav places in Europe, our agenda is set and already quite tight as we're doing all of that in just 13 days from arrival to departure!!)

Also, I used duolingo as a supplemental activity when I taught Spanish!

• 1 month later...

this lesson is speaking my language they just taught me 'i make myself comfortable with a good book and a cup of tea'

On 2/13/2020 at 2:41 AM, Cross said:

this lesson is speaking my language they just taught me 'i make myself comfortable with a good book and a cup of tea'

Love it!

• 6 months later...

I’m terrible with languages. Oh, I memorize words and meanings, but I have a difficult time switching to thinking in a different language. I can read and listen to Spanish and get the gist of what is being said, but to speak it? It’s like I have a mental block or something. I know a little French as well.

i thought that might be a problem for me, but i've moved to learn german and scottish along with danish and no real problem switching between them. scottish is harder to learn, and sometimes i mix up danish for german but i was pleasantly surprised that things are staying in their lanes

I'm really good at grammar, not so much vocabulary, I'm also always better at understanding than speaking 😆

So I can speak fluidly only two other languages than my own, read/understand and make myself ok understandable in two more, and say hi presentate myself and some small phrases in I think 5 other languages, including japanese that I started learning last year ( I kinda had some months stop though do to health stuff still try to not forget what I learned) I love languages (well grammar lol)!!!

On 9/6/2020 at 2:44 AM, Phaedra said:

I’m terrible with languages. Oh, I memorize words and meanings, but I have a difficult time switching to thinking in a different language. I can read and listen to Spanish and get the gist of what is being said, but to speak it? It’s like I have a mental block or something. I know a little French as well.

LoL ... sometimes I don't even know which language I'm speaking, English or Afrikaans!

Those are my two fluent ones. I can do a few more, like Dutch, German, French, Italian and a smattering of Russian.

22 hours ago, Elgee said:

LoL ... sometimes I don't even know which language I'm speaking, English or Afrikaans!

Those are my two fluent ones. I can do a few more, like Dutch, German, French, Italian and a smattering of Russian.

To me, that is the very definition of being fluent: moving from translating in your head (which is what I do, verrryyy slowly), to actually thinking in that language 🙂.

• 1 month later...

Hi to everyone, just arrived in DM.

My native language is Italian, but I can speak English (ad a matter of fact, I've taught Maths&Physics in English to classes when I was a teacher), and a little French adn Spanish (this last one very poorly).

But the languages most fascinates me are fantasy langueges, most of all Tolkien invented idioms, i.e., Quenya and Sindarin, the two major Elvish tongues.

I can traslate from English and Italian to Quenya, provided a good dictionnary, and I'm fluent in writing Tengwar, the Evish calligraphy. I've traslated poetries and songs, some of them being played by groups and published to YT.

Is anyone here fond of the language of the Elves, too?

Just linking here one of my songs (the text is mine, not the music). Sorry, subtitles are in Italian, but I can give the English traslation, if you like)

Not so much. They descend form the same archaic language, but then have severed and evoluted for thousands of years separately.

For example, in Quenya, one name of Varda is Tintalle, while in Sindarin is Gilthoniel, both meaning "the Kindler". Green-elves is Laiquendi in Q., and Laegil in S.

On 11/5/2020 at 6:09 PM, Alcalimo Ehtelion said:

Is anyone here fond of the language of the Elves, too?

i think @Lavandula like learning languages, not sure if she done the elvish ones but you migth recruit her 😉

Edited by Liitha

I've always found more interest in alphabets than in languages, mostly because I'm lazy. You can learn so many linguistic patterns from them without spending as much time as you would learning every word in the language -- for example, you can identify which English linguistic patterns come from which older languages based on how the words are spelled. Hebrew has no vowels, and there are a couple pairs of letters that are interchangeable; usually the letter you use depends on whether you're Ashkenazi or Sephardic (for example, taf and saf, the last two letters of the alphabet, can be switched out without consequence, so some of us say "good Shabbat" and some of us say "good Shabbas"), which I think is fascinating. I haven't seen such obvious cultural markings in any other alphabet.

oh i agree, just in the process of learning the languages i am the alphabets have been revealing. the similarities and the vast differences in which they're used and pronounced

Here is the translation into English of the song I've posted in this topic.

Aldudénië – The Lay of the Two Trees    (Roberto Fontana)

No more will there be the light of the Trees,

On Aman the Blessed the darkness lays.

Smitten was Laurelin by Enemy’s spear,

The spider’s venom made Telperion rot.

Cry the Valar, keep mourning the Eldar:

Death knells are heard throughout in Valmar.

Oh silver light that was poured into stars

By her who created the lamps in the skies!

No more will I see you, oh golden splendour,

That used to bring joy to the hearts of the Valar

Twice daily mingling the hues of your rays

With the softer shades of the silvery tree.

Whispered the wind among your green crown

of gold-fringed leaves, with blazing fruits,

And fondled the leaves of your fresher kin

Darker and gleaming, Silpion the Fair

Yet roots and branches are deadwood by now

Crumbling and black through fingers unhappy.

Upon the Earth their light still survives

Inside the gems that the Noldo denied:

From his northern keep Melkor took them,

Asking for first blood he left only death.

On the bare hill fall silent the Powers,

Then Nienna’s tears are poured on the mound.

Never again will Yavanna’s pure song

Enchant the Great and deceive dreary death.

But lo! A silver flower springs into life,

From Silpion receiving the remnants of its shine;

Tilion the Archer looks after it,

Across the sky leading its untainted light.

Laurelin as well begets a bright fruit,

whose hot heart is fed by Arien with fire.

Thus Sun and Moon are said to be born:

Ánar the flame that wakens and scorches,

Isil that wanders stubborn and fainter;

Love always joins them, yet fire divides.

Just after the Noldor reached the shores,

Enthralled they were by the light of the Moon.

The hour they woke, the Secondborn

Rejoyced in the brilliance of the sunshine.

Yet fears the dark king the blazing maid,

The bowman he dreads and his silver dart.

In darkness awaits the filthy lord,

Until they both fall at the end of the world.