DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Arie

Building the Club

So, definitely going to do a modified version of the Shredder. I want to rename it! So name suggestions are welcome! 

Incentives. Do we want to earn 'badges' or 'rank' with activity? Does anyone benefit from these?

And I may have a way around "public/private" sharing of personal work. I'll make a sticky post of all the things once I've organized stuff. (Linking Gdocs, or the like?) but I'm open to suggestions here.

The biggest tool we're going to use and abuse will likely be the 'tag' system for prompts, shredders, and such. I'd like to build a cohesive list of useful tags to make linking easier.

And is there something from the previous incarnation that you feel we need to include? Or that you don't want to include?

I don't think incentives work as well as say deadlines do.  Nothing overly extensive, but stickers don't do it for me.  Though gamifying things always is fun.  I'm currently using habiticia for my daily life, work and writing cause it has levels.  Something simple like each level is 2x the points so level 1 (is free) or 2 points, 2 would be 4 pts... assign each 'activity' a point value at creation and let us keep tabs on that.  

But I'm happy with just having someplace active to talk writing so whatever others might want to spur activity/participation.

All the public clubs are public to everyone.  I don't know if we are an open but private group.  Don't even know if that is an option.  You could ask if you could create an invite only private group specifically for copyright retention.

I already asked about the Private tabs or clubs and they are currently not an option at this time. It would mean having a secondary 'club' just for privacy. Jason has put in a tech request to see if this can be something they work on for future mods. 

Part of me is tempted to make the whole club private and have a sign-up somewhere, but it defeats the open-ness that the Admin's are trying to create.

the RPs have private clubs for their subsections.  I don't think they'd have a problem with one specific to copyright protection.  At least it makes more sense in this case IMO.  I get it's a separate club and all but it would be better than posting passwords to google docs in public places.  Still the same problem as posting it here imo.

Posted (edited)

I do not disagree. If we can petition an active enough list for a private space for copyright - club, then I am willing to ask again. 🙂 Just two people may not be enough to sway.

Unless @Jason Denzel is willing to feel differently.

Edited by Arie

Totally agree that it's not a very active club and the demographic for two people is just as easy to share a folder between pms to drop copies etc into

Which is also a possibility, if we don't have enough.  Create a shared folder in google docs and do an entrance 'interview' with new club members to see if they want to participate in those 'private' critiques, and behind the scenes you could send them the share access.

But sharing links and passwords is not safer than just posting it here.

Though I do know we have a few more active parties just not seeing much from them right now - maybe they forgot lol.  I have to remember to check back.  I'd really like to get an active online writing group short of the chaos that is my facebook groups of tens of thousands of people.

Critique board was a huge deal previously. Private helped the copyright issue and the public fear of feedback when people knew it was being shared with a very small intimate trusted group. I’m sure a good case to add a private club ruled over by the writers group can be made from these points alone despite the “small numbers.” 

*attempts to fade into the background so you can continue to rebuild in your image*

Because this is a sincerely serious concern, i'll bring it up with Jason again with an option or two and see what he says.

To get back on topic,

Shredder renames? (Mostly because I liberally borrowed it from a defunct writing community and I'd like to make it more our own.

And I Like the idea of earning "points" I have a small system of "easy and hard" points based on writing and giving critiques that I'm happy to put into place. Including "half-points" if you don't hit deadlines. Hell, i'm even happy to toss in some physical bonuses since I'm a sucker for those too.

The official word is that what we have now is all we're going to get. At least for the short-term. Dragonmount is reducing their forums and spread as much as possible, and GoogleDocs and folders is a viable option for sharing content - even privately - we are going to have to make do.

I'd be interested in seeing the point system you have.  

As far as names I don't really have any suggestions short of using a thesuarus.  My mind is full of code and permissions systems atm so renaming isn't in my scope atm.

Maybe later I can think of something.

Google Docs is probably best - the editing/suggestion feature making it great for the "shredder" stuff.

Posted (edited)

This was what I wrote for an RP/Original writing site. So there are RP references that could use some editing. (don't mind all the custom coding....)

[header=What are Star Points]Star Points & You[/header]

Back in the day, and up until their closure last month, Legendfire had an "honor point" system that members could earn honor points from actively involving and sharing on their site. They broke it down to easy, medium and hard points. They were earned primarily through contests and challenges. Here at Dragon's Blood, I wanted to give us a new system for earning various privileges around the site, such as unique titles, player jewels or powers, workshops to potentially your own email or dragonsbloodrpg.com/YOURURL. And since my 100% original system was shamefully stolen I had to come up with something new.

Thus we have Star Points.

Star Points are like Honor Points, are honor points, but can be earned in more than just challenges and contests. While I do want to encourage some creative writing I know that most of you came to be involved in our ROLEPLAY. So the system needs to be tweaked to accommodate that.

[title=,24]How to Earn Star Points[/title]

Star Points can be broken down into the following area: Easy, Medium & Hard.

StarBlue.png Easy Star Points
[li]100 Points - Single Origin Roleplay Character[/li]
[li]100 Points - 5+ Post Roleplay[/li]
[li]100 Points - Shredder Submission[/li]
[li]100 Points - 500 ~ 749 Words - Short Story (Challenge/Contest)[/li]

StarSilver.png  Medium Star Points
[li]100 Points - Dual Origin Roleplay Character[/li]
[li]100 Points - 10+ Post Roleplay[/li]
[li]100 Points - 750 ~ 999 Words - Short Story (Challenge/Contest)[/li]
[li]100 Points - Single Chapter Fanfiction[/li]

StarGold.png  Hard Star Points
[li]100 Points - Multi-Genre Roleplay Character[/li]
[li]100 Points - 20+ Post Roleplay[/li]
[li]100 Points - 1000+ Words - Short Story (Challenge/Contest)[/li]
[li]100 Points - Multi-Chapter Fanfiction (per 5 500+ word chapters)[/li]

--

[title=,18]Bragging Rights & Badges[/title]

When you earn your first 1000 Star Points (Easy, Medium, and Hard points all go into the tally), you will have earned your bronze badge:

1000points.png

[fancy][label2]BONUS[/label2]: to be determined[/fancy]

Earning 5,000 Star Points earns you the silver badge:

5000points.png

Earning an impressive 10,000 points earns you the gold badge:

10000points.png

But wait!!! If you can top that with 15,000 points, you earn the platinum badge:
15000points.png

And since I believe many of us love to aspire big here is the diamond 20k-and-beyond badge:
20000points.png

Edited by Arie

Sorry I haven't contributed. When school is in session, I'm too busy to write, so it's only something I will do between semesters. 

Shredder renames:  Taming the Shrews

Funny story:  I was hitting up thesaurus.com and misspelled shred (shread), it gave me some suggestions.  One of which was shrew, which immediately brought up the classic tale in my head.

Could go with Taming the Lions too since a shredder is all about taming those words and making them behave.  I like the Shrews better cause it makes me giggle inside.

Posted (edited)

That's pretty funny. Lol! I like it too!!

I initially called it as 'slasher' if we want to keep it simple for tagging purposes. Or "Shrews"... 

Edited by Arie

A few ideas:

Foreshadowings

Trial by fire

The Forge  

through the ringer

Passing the gauntlet 

no holds barred

the cold hard truth

sweating bullets

cold as ice

@Arie, take a look at Microsoft Teams (it's replacing Skype)

It has some nifty features, like a built in Wikipedia, and 'Groups'.

Obviously we have Discord, but from a team management perspective, it offers something discord doesn't. 

Also, I second (third?) the Forge.

ACW used to be the Tuatha'an.. known for their metal work. :Wink: