DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

#WoTWednesday 8/14

JenniferL

2 hours ago, DemandredFO said:

The rest of the cast as filming is to begin soon. I advocate making Sean Bean either Lan or Tam, just to prove he can actually survive a fantasy series.

Lol.  He's not done so well in that area yet.  Always the sacrificed good guy.

I wouldn't mind set pictures either, but mostly I want to know who is playing who.   I'm preparing myself now for disappointment, since I have such a strong mental picture of each character, but most especially Nyneave and Min.

On 8/12/2019 at 10:13 PM, DemandredFO said:

Nyneave I think is going to be tricky because aside from Rand she arguably has the greatest change and make it feel natural. The character I think will change the most from book to script is Egwene because she's on a glide path from tGH to aMoL and she needs bumps

I do hope they change one thing with Egwene.  I hope they drop the "flame of tar valon" at theend. I think it was a cop out, to suddenly be able to reverse balefire, which, until that time, had a mythos about it of being so dangerous that the shadow even hestitated to use it.   It kinda destroys the purpose if youcan literally "unburn" threads that were burned away by balefire.

Also, I want her to die defeating one of the OTHER forsaken,and leave Taim to the Asha'man.  Logain and the Asha'man spent several books fighting against Taim and his dreadlords, and it felt anti-climatic to have them have no hand in his actual defeat.    It would be better to have an epic Logain vs Taim battle.  

Maybe Egwene could die defeating Demandred after he kills Gawyn.

Edited by Dagon Thyne

Except that kinda takes away the huge moment for Lan that sums up his character so nicely. 

Besides I think Egwene defeating Demandred in a battle of the power is a bit far fetched...

I do agree though that it would be nice if the Ashaman would have a bigger part even though I think Logain’s story arc there was nicely done (turning his back on power, overcoming his fears to do the right thing and achieve the recognition for himself and the Ashaman that he’d been seeking).

On 8/12/2019 at 9:59 PM, 2RiversFan said:

I'm preparing myself now for disappointment, since I have such a strong mental picture of each character, but most especially Nyneave and Min.

Do you really think they’ll cast Min so soon? I half wonder if she’ll be entirely cut, or at least up until appearing at the WT to guide Siuan. 

I’d like some casting news too for Siuan, Logain, Lan, Thom, and Tam. I hope they introduce Caemlyn in season 1, to establish Elaida as a villain and counterpart to Siuan/Moiraine’s mission. 

Min is incredibly important to the series overall.  Her abilities are utilized as exposition and foreshadowing to the reader/watcher, and as 'ace in the hole' information to the Light side, from Moiraine to the Amyrlin Seat and to the Dragon Reborn.  Cutting her character would be beyond crazy; we'd not be getting anything like the stories RJ wrote. She's one of my favorite characters and I did hope that her role would have been cast already

Another thing I've been looking forward to is how they will bring her visions to the screen.  They'll need to be careful or it'll be cheesy, but done right, it will be quite cool to see them.  Remember the 'starlight vs darkness' for when Rand is alone, compared to how much better the starlight does when Matt/Perrin are with him?  Things like that will be awesome.

Edited by 2RiversFan

• Community Administrator
30 minutes ago, 2RiversFan said:

Min is incredibly important to the series overall.  Her abilities are utilized as exposition and foreshadowing to the reader/watcher, and as 'ace in the hole' information to the Light side, from Moiraine to the Amyrlin Seat and to the Dragon Reborn.  Cutting her character would be beyond crazy; we'd not be getting anything like the stories RJ wrote. She's one of my favorite characters and I did hope that her role would have been cast already

Min is the sole stabilizing, humanizing figure in Rand's life. Of the Three, she's the one that tells him he doesn't need to be stone.

6 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

Min is the sole stabilizing, humanizing figure in Rand's life. Of the Three, she's the one that tells him he doesn't need to be stone.

Yep, never understood those saying she could be cut. You cant have all the female characters being super girls and she is so vital in Rand's story. If you think about it as well all three of the girls Rand is attracted to represent a different feminine ideal. So Min brings balance there as well.

I would sooner cut a score of lesser characters or entire storylines that aren't central to the plot. 

I don't think anyone thinks Min should be cut. People are just being realistic and trying to think of possibilities for what the TV show might do, and Min has been mentioned because Rafe said Rand isn't going to have 3 women.

I don't think that means those characters won't be there, though. If Min isn't the woman they choose for Rand, she can still be one of his best friends. And having her in the show makes sense because she brings suspense with the negative things she predicts.

Loial is much more likely to be cut because although he is a beloved character the main parts of the story can be told without him, and because of the difficulties bringing him on screen would add. The cost might outweigh the benefits with that character.

Edited by Deadsy

10 minutes ago, Deadsy said:

I don't think anyone thinks Min should be cut. People are just being realistic and trying to think of possibilities for what the TV show might do, and Min has been mentioned because Rafe said Rand isn't going to have 3 women.

You had me very worried there for a moment but I believe this was his follow up response

"Let’s just say I’m much more interested in polyamory than polygamy. And maybe give me a little more credit than assuming I’m gonna gut that entire story and ruin everything off a one word answer? ;)"

Looking at the thread where this is discussed many think he is going to make the relationship between Elayne and Aviendha sexual as well.  To early to tell anyway in my view. 

Edited by Jaglover

4 hours ago, Jaglover said:

You had me very worried there for a moment but I believe this was his follow up response

"Let’s just say I’m much more interested in polyamory than polygamy. And maybe give me a little more credit than assuming I’m gonna gut that entire story and ruin everything off a one word answer? ;)"

Looking at the thread where this is discussed many think he is going to make the relationship between Elayne and Aviendha sexual as well.  To early to tell anyway in my view. 

I'd put more of a bet of him reupping the sexual tension between Moiraine and Siuan.

Loial is kind of important for them to get through the Ways.

It also shows the Viewer, that there's more to this world than Humans, Trollocs, and Mydraal...
It'll also help prep them for the Jolly Green Giant.

I'll be surprised if we keep Loial, and even more so the Green Man. A good surprise, but yeah, I'm not counting on either. 

On the Min note, if season one is going to be a mix of The Eye and TGH that means Rand will be juggling 4 potential romances off the bat. It might be a bit much to start. Making Min his friend only would be a way around this. Otherwise it would make sense to bring her for the deposition plot which is TDR and after, and by that point the Selene and Egwene romance plots are mostly done. I adore Min so of course I'd miss her if she's entirely left out. 

17 hours ago, Jaglover said:

Oh okay. That's less extreme than I would've thought. That's a way to give bath scenes character/plot purpose. 

Edited by Carebear Sedai

3 hours ago, Carebear Sedai said:

On the Min note, if season one is going to be a mix of The Eye and TGH that means Rand will be juggling 4 potential romances off the bat. It might be a bit much to start. Making Min his friend only would be a way around this. Otherwise it would make sense to bring her for the deposition plot which is TDR and after, and by that point the Selene and Egwene romance plots are mostly done. I adore Min so of course I'd miss her if she's entirely left out. 

Wasn't Egwene pretty much done with Rand romantically around the half-way point of ETOW? She was pretty much set on going to the White Tower.
I don't know if I'd equate Selene as a romance as more of an older lady tempting the young guy situation.
Rand Briefly meets Min in EOTW, and meets Elayne a little longer... ('cause of the whole meeting the queen plotline)

I guess what I'm getting at is, I wouldn't really call these romance plots, as love interests that he's trying to decide which to approach. Two Rivers he was looking at Egwene because everyone's pressuring them to get married. Now that he's in the wider world, and sees what the world has to offer, Egwene is no longer the pick of the litter...
(The portal stone also messes with Rand's Psyche!)

I'll be surprised if we keep Loial, and even more so the Green Man. A good surprise, but yeah, I'm not counting on either.

Depending on how they do the Ogier, and how much practical effects/CGI they do, and the fact that he's going to be the only one we see for awhile compared to the cut-and-past Trollocs, I don't see why they couldn't keep Loial.
He may not play a large plot, but he is WoT's Samwell Tarly.

If you Nix Loial, you nix the Ogier.
If you nix the Ogier, you nix the Ways.
If you nix the Ways, you nix Machin Shin, which is one of the great horror-sequences that we just can't not have.

It be akin of getting rid of the whole Shadar Logoth stop, or getting rid of Dumai Wells.  Certain events just have to happen, or we're going to get a very lame show. :wink:

On 8/17/2019 at 6:50 AM, MasterAblar said:

Except that kinda takes away the huge moment for Lan that sums up his character so nicely. 

Besides I think Egwene defeating Demandred in a battle of the power is a bit far fetched...

I do agree though that it would be nice if the Ashaman would have a bigger part even though I think Logain’s story arc there was nicely done (turning his back on power, overcoming his fears to do the right thing and achieve the recognition for himself and the Ashaman that he’d been seeking).

I wouldn't change Lan fighting Demandred, 

Logain gets Taim, 

Then, Egwene could take Moghedien, as opposed to Moghedien going out like a chump. 

Admittedly, I think that for a Last Battle conflict between Egwene and Moghedien to be good, Moggie needs to get some kind of angreal or sa'angreal buff.

5 hours ago, TheSociopath said:

I wouldn't change Lan fighting Demandred, 

Logain gets Taim, 

Then, Egwene could take Moghedien, as opposed to Moghedien going out like a chump. 

Admittedly, I think that for a Last Battle conflict between Egwene and Moghedien to be good, Moggie needs to get some kind of angreal or sa'angreal buff.

Not really just take the saangreal away from Egwene somehow. Egwene is the one who’s more likely to need help anyway, without the saangreal that is.