DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

recreational ideas

Cross

so i’ve been mulling over taking a day off work. i have a policy of not working on sunday, but occasionally i need another day off. i’m not horribly social, and tend to end up using a random day off to just play video games. but do you all have and other suggestions? 

what do you do to recharge?

I write, a lot, and read books. I pet my cats and play with my dogs. I paint and sketch. I cook/bake. 

Sometimes we go 'out' to a movie. It's a nice change of pace, and somehow sitting there with popcorn watching on the big screen is still kind of magical despite being able to do this at home on my TV. ? 

I also like finding interesting places to go for walks that aren't really crowded. There are several parks in our town, one of which is around a small lake but has proper side-walks since people like to bike and walk around it a lot. They also allow fishing there (which my son enjoys). 

I discovered our city's botanical garden just on the other side of town and that's a great, well-shaded place to walk full of interesting and unusual plants and landscaping. I find it restful and inspiring, and it's rarely got a lot of people besides whatever few folks from the university are working on the garden itself and taking care of it. 

Find a museum nearby, or a zoo. Go walk around, enjoy the view. Take photos (or draw). 

There are a lot of things I like to do that can recharge me and help me relax. So I tend to vary it up a bit. 

You all have some great ideas. I know when the weather permits, I like time outside, even grabbing a lunch, a chair, and sitting in the shade.

I like to go to Panera's and read. It gets me out of the house (where I always see things that need doing). I don't always get lunch. I get iced tea and a cookie. I settle in a comfortable chair, drink a gallon of iced tea, and enjoy my book.

Sometimes, I watch videos on Neflix or YouTube. Always snuggle with my dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been painting more. Going to the gym and swimming. Baking cookies. In the Fall, I'll bake things like banana bread.

Going out with a friend really helps. We like to go to antique stores and thrift shops and then have lunch (sometimes out; sometimes at one of our homes).

I go to a movie by myself. Occasionally, it's nice not to have to consider another's needs or wants.

Have you decided on something, Cross?

Took a painting class last night at a local artist studio. Part of the lesson fees goes to support the local theater.

A woman demonstrated painting a landscape scene, and we copied as best we could. It was interesting to see the variety of results among the students.

Note: I will NOT be sharing my result from last night. I'll be sticking with my abstracts, thank you very much. I'm within a few days of finishing another work that I'm happy with.

That sounds fun! I took a stained-glass one evening project class for the first time a couple of months ago. I learned how great it goes when your materials are cooperating 'and' what it's like when your metals have unanticipated alloys and 'nothing will remain fused together.'  It turned out okay in the end though. ?