DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
_Kynwric_

Mother's Skirts Tavern

22 hours ago, LilyElizabeth said:

How do you feel about a kilt?

New warder uniform?

Hey, I would love if my warder was wearing a kilt. Kilts are great!

7bc186087de9180a33c6eaf3e62eaafe.jpg 

What's not to love?

On 7/27/2019 at 10:39 AM, LilyElizabeth said:

How do you feel about a kilt?

Kilts are fine, my Aes Sedai would have to be convinced, however. 

Real kilts are HEAVY.  Sure, there are imitations of them that people occasionally wear to, say, sports games, that aren't so bad, and I have one, but the real ones you wear for formal occasions are A LOT of work.  In 2014, when I graduated from the University of Edinburgh with a Masters, most of us in my program were international students and unsurprisingly, when all of us men had the choice of renting a tuxedo or a kilt, we all went for kilts. Lugging it home was hard work with one arm--I had to ask a friend to help me out.  

Well, if James wanted one I would be ok with it.

3 hours ago, JamesBrown said:

James would not want one.

I knew that. I needed to appear flexible and non sexist. 

I've hand made a couple of kilts, it's a lengthy job. Hiking/walking or light weight kilts aren't always necessarily imitations.:smile: There are 3 weights that are all genuine, and all made from woven wool fabric. The only difference with the light weight ones, which people often use for sporting occasions as Hay said, is length and fibre weight. They use 5 yards instead of 8 yards, they're woven from a lighter worsted spun wool and they're often machine made for commercial outlets. The traditional heavier weights are always hand sewn. If you get one that's really crazy amounts lighter, and feels like synthetic fabric then yes, it's likely to be a Chinese knock off, which you're certainly more likely to come across in Edinburgh, catering as it does for tourists. And don't even get me started on those stupid leather skirts.

Here endeth the lesson. :tongue: Now that I've told you all the things you didn't really want to know but will come in useful when you're a contestant on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?...

...is this place self service?! A girl could die of thirst at this rate.

I would absolutely put Horn in a kilt. Somehow I doubt Lanth could be persuaded. So how are we all? Settling into our new home?

On 7/29/2019 at 7:36 AM, LilyElizabeth said:

A woman who doesn't love kilts? I don't think I've ever met one before. Hmmm.

Me.

On 7/30/2019 at 11:13 AM, _Kynwric_ said:

Appear?

Yes. In my heart of hearts I didn't want to have my Warder wear a kilt.

That's fascinating, Tay, thanks!  I'd imagine making a kilt must be DIFFICULT.

And here:

wine over pour GIF by buzzfeedladylike

Here's Norwegian Lin, American me, South Korean JK, American Jackie, and Canadian Brandon in 2014, where each of us had gotten a kilt.  JK and I are still at UofE, PhDing.

Image may contain: 5 people, people smiling

My family had gotten to America by 1715, but I'm from everywhere Britain, including Scotland, and so I'm planning on chasing down my centuries-old clan connections to get a very specific kilt for when I (hopefully) graduate with a doctorate next year.  

Ohh lovely, and red wine at that, good taste. Slainte. Yes, making kilts is hard. I'm far from expert. People spend a lifetime learning that skill. I'm still trying to forget the nightmare of equal pleats across the back and all the basting that had to be done *shudders*

That's a great photo; international relations! :laugh: What an awesome memory to have. You'll have fun chasing down the family tree. Be prepared to get sucked down a rabbit hole when you start. That's before the Statutory Registrations began so you'll be dealing with Old Parish Records and they're a law unto themselves. I've been working on mine for about 30 years now, very addictive and utterly absorbing. 

Every once in a while I contract the genealogy bug. But with my last name, it isn't very long before I get hopelessly stuck. 

I take it Brown actually is your surname then? I can't imagine a much worse nightmare for a genealogy search .... maybe Smith lol. My searching is pretty sporadic these days. It gets expensive very quickly once you hit the point of more wrong searches than right.

My grandmother was very interested in it, but that sounds fairly intimidating.  I'll think about it. 

I've spent the last month at home in New Orleans, but this morning I flew back in to Edinburgh/Tarwin's Gap to get back to my dissertation!  Edinburgh is always sooo different in August, with the Fringe taking over everything.  Last night, waiting for the plane, I eavesdropped on some theater folk describing all the plays as a "little bit of Paradise."      

Edited by haycraftd

Tarwin's Gap :laugh: ...funny. The town's a bit of a nightmare during the Festival, yes. I mean, it's interesting and colourful but dear heavens, the tourists. And not normal tourists lol. Strange types. We haven't attended any events for a few years but I'd love to go to the Tattoo again. My other half's just back from Edinburgh about 11pm, the tram depot was flooded so he got called back into work this evening to help sort it... good day to fly back in with the thunderstorms and torrential downpours!

WOW, yes.  I was inside getting settled when the worst of it happened, but I could see outside and it looked scary!

Walked across George Square a little while ago. I see things are busy again and it's crowded.  Wrapping up my Masters five years ago, it was painful walking by it when I was going anywhere near the university.  This year I've been an advisor to one play--Tennessee Williams's "Suddenly Last Summer," that's going on over at St Ninian's Hall right now.  A friend involved in it asked me in late June if I could give them tips on a New Orleans accent and I visited them twice. I just ended up watching them practice each time, but, if I can go, I get a free ticket, and I can apparently (according to the two theater folk on the flight), put that on my resume/CV.  They say I was a "dramaturge."  

As crazy as this is, though, this ain't nothin' as crazy as New Orleans during Mardi Gras!  :smile: We're insane by any standard of the imagination.  It's always an adjustment travelling there and back--time, the different cultures, our relative sanity--always.  

Oh absolutely, stick it on the C.V. ...always. Looks good.

Ha ha, it must be a bit like split personality dealing with that change. :smile: I've always fancied going to Mardi Gras if I ever make it to the US.  Heard a lot about it from friends in the South. It looks like so much fun.

Mardi Gras is CRAZY.  Were you in Tar Valon early March?  We Warders had an event about it and I wrote an essay on its origins, "The Tale Behind Mardi Gras," and I think I might have just done a good job with it.  The essay's disappeared off of Dragonmount, of course, but I still have it saved in a Word document.  

Everywhere around is busy and crowded today, I see.  It was hard to make my way through George Square earlier.  I'm giving myself the weekend off to get over jetlag, but then it's back to my dissertation!