DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Wandering Bard Inn

I use fabric on my bulletin boards - always have - but my new classroom only has ONE bulletin board and it's SMALL so I'm trying to figure out how to create makeshift bulletin boards with the massive amounts of wall space I do have. I make borders using fabric, fabric glue/spray adhesive, and poster board.

It's just so white right now and it's need a hint of color but not too much. One wall has like a burnt pink on the bottom half, the side with the windows is ALL white, the back wall has an open bookshelf (ie the shelves are bolted on to the wall) and is also ALL white. I want to make that space clean and organized and more inviting than the chaotic mess I cleaned up on Monday.

I'm learning that part of classroom culture is set as soon as those students walk in on the first day as it gives them a sense of what type of person I am before I even speak lol 

I might do an art project type thing with my 8th grade reading class though - have them make book cover posters of their favorite books possibly? Hmm.....decisions decisions.....*sips more on her MG Brew while wishing it was real to help her creative juices flow faster*

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the walls made of then? Will you be able to staple things to them? It seems a bit tricky to me, to have to decorate your entire classroom when it is a blank slate and you're supposed to communicate with your students over it. Perhaps you can ask them to make it your mutual room and help with their artwork as well ?

Yeah, classroom decorating can be a bit finicky. I also don't do a whole lot of art type projects since I teach English and I always despised when my English teachers did that to me.....one of the walls is almost brick like, the others do have painted/finished off sheetrock that I could probably staple things in to. The brick will have to be tape/hot glue though.

On 7/25/2019 at 11:16 AM, Jeannaisais said:

Yeah, classroom decorating can be a bit finicky. I also don't do a whole lot of art type projects since I teach English and I always despised when my English teachers did that to me.....one of the walls is almost brick like, the others do have painted/finished off sheetrock that I could probably staple things in to. The brick will have to be tape/hot glue though.

This is a project I did with 8th graders. My goal was to get their imagination going, and to get them good at describing characters and creating more full characters in their own creative writing.

I asked them to draw a fantasy creature and describe it. First they drew a sketch and had to sit back to back with somebody while they tried to draw after their descriptions, and then they perfected their characters and created their whole bio and backstory. From what I can tell it has been a success the two times I've done it. 

It makes for creative and colorful artwork to put on the walls lol!

Edited by Sooh

I had a long week at work. Its been nice having wednesday thursday friday and saturday off. I feel refreshed and now back to studying for the test. I failed it the first time. I got 265 questions which is the max question. Kinda feel defeated but I'm moving forward and preparing for it again. I know i can do it this time.

Sooh - I haven't ever done an art project quite like that. I'm SO not artistic but do like to display student work when possible. I've still got a couple of weeks to nail down projects/rubrics/lesson plan ALL the things!

Cairos - That stinks but sometimes that's the push we need to succeed. I've always loved the motto of "failing forward" because it gives you the sense that even in 'failure' you're still moving FORWARD! 

Thane - I saw several Facebook posts about that heat. We just dealt with a heat wave in the US not too long ago as well so I definitely pitied all those experiencing more record breaking heat! In my mind, it's always a good excuse to eat more ice cream lol

Another week of summer done here.....last week little guy and I enjoyed library story time, swimming for fun, swimming lessons, a park with mom, a different park with grandma and grandpa (he LOVES my dad so much, it's adorable), shopping for new shoes....which also lead to a toddler sized backpack and incredibles designed play-doh. My personal accomplishments? I stayed sane with a toddler, I think.

*checks her cup of MG brew, grateful she still has more to sip on* I also worked on lesson planning and I'm finally reading Sanderson's Mistborn as I've been told to do for years!

Short answer Thane is that we didn't lol. Not the natives anyway. We had record breaking temperatures in several parts of Scotland. Personally, I stayed indoors with all the windows open, continuous supplies of cold juice and copious amounts of ice cream! I still ended up in a puddle on the floor on Thursday/Friday. Yesterday and today have been much cooler, nice wind and lots of rain. 

How are you enjoying Mistborn so far, Jea? I read the first set of 3 several years back and enjoyed them but I've never got around to reading the second set for some reason.

We're still mid-heatwave up here and we're needing rain soon. Fortunately we have an AC, so inside is nice and cool.

Whats a lad gotta do to get a keg or 2 around here?!?!?!

Need to teach you Archers and Cavs how the best Reg in the Band (Infantry ofc) drinks!!!!!

Edited by Zanatron
21 hours ago, Taymist said:

How are you enjoying Mistborn so far, Jea? I read the first set of 3 several years back and enjoyed them but I've never got around to reading the second set for some reason.

I'm definitely enjoying Mistborn WAY more than a lot of the novels I've had to read during grad school lol I think I would have enjoyed the grad school texts more if the reading load hadn't been SO overwhelming and if I hadn't been working full time while taking those courses as well. I just didn't have enough time in each day to get all of the reading done. Still did well in the classes but always felt guilty I didn't finish all the reading....I'm about halfway through Mistborn and started it this past May/June. I had been working on The Omen Machine by Goodkind and that took me forever to get through. I enjoyed Sword of Truth until the last book or two but Omen Machine was a bit painful to get through imho.

Zanatron - only the archers truly know the best drinks, what could be better than a flaming shot?!!

19 hours ago, Thane Vakarian said:

The only thing you have to do, is place an order, son!

Glad to see you in here, how's life been?

2 kegs of Belgiums finest brew please pops!!!!

Ive been not too bad...always trying to fight the good fight!

How about you and the family?!?!?!?!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been fun while it lasted.

Let's just say that this community and myself have different points of view, and that I have decided not to be part of this anymore.

I wish you all the best for your future.

giphy.gif

Nothing got deleted. A post was reported and it got hidden by the Admins, along with several subsequent unsuitable posts that were hidden by Staff. Moving right along....

*sends a recruit to get more Guiny* 

what's everyone got planned for the weekend? Anything fun? 

Glad to hear you're enjoying Mistborn, Jea. I found the Goodkind books very hard going after the first 3 or 4. I have one sitting here that I never even read, just gave up on it. It was too moralising/preachy and not terribly entertaining after a certain point. Totally hear you on curriculum reading. I had much the same situation at University and during my postgrad courses; many, many semi read books and a reading list that, quite frankly, demonstrated unrealistic expectations on behalf of the Faculty staff.

I'm about to start the second Mystic book, it's been sitting on the shelf patiently waiting for me to have 2 minutes for long enough. :laugh: