DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Sooh

Blue's Fantasy Lounge

It’s very crowded. If I was rich, very rich, I think I would enjoy very much living there.

The public transportation is awesome. We also used Lyft there. I used them in Seattle too.

I think it can be exiting if you are out in the evening. So much to do and great restaurants.

It's peopley but you know how much I can't stand the humans in concentration? In the city I almost never felt peopled. They know how to not make unnecessary eye contact, how to stand or sit in a crowd and not infringe on your personal space. I didn't even realize I couldn't stand humans until I moved to a small city and got hit in the face with that fake smile at you and engage you in unwanted social interaction you get almost everywhere else.

the main drawback of the peopliness is the traffic, but again if you're not driving or trying to get into or out of manhattan, it's not an issue.

oh... exception for trains which I stayed away from completely even though they were the fastest way to get many places cause they're too peopley in the overheated and dangerous way that people assume the whole city is.  So... yeah stay above ground and it's mostly cool.

At the moment, I'm listening to the Subtle Knife.  Want to refresh my memory on His Dark Materials before they start making the show.

So many cool fantasy adaptations in the works right now!  I haven't read those books...  so many things to read, so little time.  *sigh*

I've been on a pratchett audible binge and just spent a bundle on more. We're relistening WoT together too. I was just about to start the Gabaldons for my sf&f female author challenge but.... Discworld beckons.

7 hours ago, Songstress said:

So many cool fantasy adaptations in the works right now!  I haven't read those books...  so many things to read, so little time.  *sigh*

Do you have audible, Tress?

1 hour ago, Sooh said:

Do you have audible, Tress?

Not yet.  I fully intend to subscribe eventually - mostly because my dream job is narrating audiobooks (and has been for many years, was really cool when Merphy Napier started doing it and decided to post videos about her lessons learned).   

But i know myself and I would not be able to listen to new books on audio - my attention wanders if i'm looking at anything unrelated to what i'm hearing, and next thing I know I'll have tuned out the audio and started thinking about something entirely different.

I plan to get the WoT audiobooks for sure, for rereads and because I've heard that Michael Kramer and Kate Reading are masters of the narrating craft.  But it's not a high priority on my goals list just yet.

14 hours ago, Mrs. Cindy Gill said:

I've been on a pratchett audible binge and just spent a bundle on more. We're relistening WoT together too. I was just about to start the Gabaldons for my sf&f female author challenge but.... Discworld beckons.

My library has just one Pratchett book on audiobook--Unseen Academicals. But I was so impressed with the narrator--Stephen Briggs--that I'm determined to track down more. 

6 hours ago, Songstress said:

Not yet.  I fully intend to subscribe eventually - mostly because my dream job is narrating audiobooks (and has been for many years, was really cool when Merphy Napier started doing it and decided to post videos about her lessons learned).   

But i know myself and I would not be able to listen to new books on audio - my attention wanders if i'm looking at anything unrelated to what i'm hearing, and next thing I know I'll have tuned out the audio and started thinking about something entirely different.

I plan to get the WoT audiobooks for sure, for rereads and because I've heard that Michael Kramer and Kate Reading are masters of the narrating craft.  But it's not a high priority on my goals list just yet.

I know I've been saying this before, but the His Dark Materials audiobooks that they have on audible are amazing. I listen when I'm cleaning or driving. Helps me focus ?

3 hours ago, JamesBrown said:

My library has just one Pratchett book on audiobook--Unseen Academicals. But I was so impressed with the narrator--Stephen Briggs--that I'm determined to track down more. 

Hes wonderful, and he was also closely involved with pratchett's work when he was alive. It's a good google.

4 hours ago, Sooh said:

I know I've been saying this before, but the His Dark Materials audiobooks that they have on audible are amazing. I listen when I'm cleaning or driving. Helps me focus ?

Yeah, I wouldn't be able to focus on them while doing anything but sitting there with my eyes closed.  Or reading the physical books.  My attention would wander and I'd miss large chunks of the story, which would bother me with a new to me book.

Indeed!  That's another part of the "so many books, so little time" problem :laugh:

Yah ... I could read a great many more books, if I didn't keep rereading old favourites!

Same here. I can either pick up a new book and *maybe* I'll enjoy it.

Or I can pick up an old favorite and *know* I'll enjoy it.

I have gotten stuck reading a new book lately... might have to reread something to get back in a reading groove. 

On 7/30/2019 at 3:52 PM, JamesBrown said:

Same here. I can either pick up a new book and *maybe* I'll enjoy it.

Or I can pick up an old favorite and *know* I'll enjoy it.

Exactly!