DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Ryrin

Roll Call for July 2019 - so we can know who's here!

Yes, Ryrin, Captain General Green Ajah

I'm not sure why they cast someone who's so completely different from the Moiraine of the books, but if they had to do it, I can't think of a better choice than Ms Pike. She's a brilliant actor and should be able to pull off the mix of born upper class and Aes Sedai that the character calls for, with her background.

I'm good with her playing Moiraine ?

Sooh, Blue

Arie. Yellow. 

I've seen her in a few things, apparently. From Pride and Prejudice, to a few others things. I'm actually pretty excited for this one.

Gentled Ben, Aes Sedai of the White Ajah, who is quite satisfied with the casting. I don't think Moiraine's diminutive stature has major plot significance, so a taller actress is fine, and if they darken her hair, as JamesBrown said, she should look fine. As far as her acting, I think she will be great. I'd rather have an actress who can handle the part but does not perfectly fit my image, than to see my picture of Moiraine take life on the screen only to botch the role with bad acting, and Rosamund Pike can definitely handle the part.

Good point, Ben. There are lots of actors who physically look the part and would be awful for the role. 

I won't name names, but I totally agree with you about the actor that just popped into your head. She would be a disaster, wouldn't she?

11 hours ago, JamesBrown said:

Good point, Ben. There are lots of actors who physically look the part and would be awful for the role. 

I won't name names, but I totally agree with you about the actor that just popped into your head. She would be a disaster, wouldn't she?

Haha Well, I always thought that Kate Beckinsale would make a wonderful Moiraine, so no, I don't think she would be awful.

I was actually thinking of Sophie Turner, who looked almost exactly the way I pictured Sansa Stark but seemed forced and wooden throughout the first season of the show. She was the only actor I didn't like in that first season, but to her credit, I thought she improved by leaps and bounds over the next few seasons, and by the end of the series, I thought she might even be the best actor left.

But Rosmand Pike will be good from the start. I am confident of it. :smile:

11 hours ago, Gentled Ben said:

I was actually thinking of Sophie Turner, who looked almost exactly the way I pictured Sansa Stark but seemed forced and wooden throughout the first season of the show. She was the only actor I didn't like in that first season, but to her credit, I thought she improved by leaps and bounds over the next few seasons, and by the end of the series, I thought she might even be the best actor left.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I still haven't warmed up to Sophie Turner. (I haven't seen the final season yet.) But for that matter, it took me a long time to warm up to Sansa Stark in the books. It wasn't until she started interacting with Jon Arryn--a character even more spoiled and mewling than she was--that she said or did anything interesting to me. So my bias against Ms. Turner may spring from that.

Mashiara ~ White Sitter

I haven't signed into roll call for a long time.....!

I'm all for Rosamund Pike as Moiraine.  Always gotta give a person the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sure she's fine. Hair color is easy to change if it matters, height is easy to fake if it matters. Not an awful lot of short actresses to choose from and no point in limiting the field with surface stuff.

I'm very happy with the casting. 

Tay, Red.

On 7/7/2019 at 9:00 AM, JamesBrown said:

It wasn't until she started interacting with Jon Arryn--a character even more spoiled and mewling than she was--that she said or did anything interesting to me.

You mean, when she began interacting with a character who died before the first episode and we only see as a corpse?

I think Pike will be excellent.  I mostly know her from her Bond character but I hear she has been really good in other stuff.

16 hours ago, Basel Gill said:
On 7/7/2019 at 8:00 AM, JamesBrown said:

It wasn't until she started interacting with Jon Arryn--a character even more spoiled and mewling than she was--that she said or did anything interesting to me.

You mean, when she began interacting with a character who died before the first episode and we only see as a corpse?

Whoops. I meant his son, Robert Arryn.