DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

It seems from the description of cuellidar creation that someone chooses a point on a piece of iron and starts channeling.

Not sure where LTT got a woman to create the white half.

And even if he did, ignoring all the other problems, wouldn’t the discs be like a Black and White cookie? Not the YinYang symbol.

Other problems include but are not limited to, a man and a woman can’t channel the iron at the same time, it would be impossible to get the discs exactly half/half.

LTT made the cuendillar seals himself. He used that symbol, because he was the leader of the Aes Sedai at the time. The cuedillar seals are also made entirely of saidin. No female Aes Sedai were invlolved in making the seals. It was male work only.

Which is why I presumed that the seals were made earlier.

But if you presume the seals were made at Shayol Ghul during the attack... and there were no women to help, that just makes it even less possible. 

My complaint is that no matter where you are, even if you have women, the seals can’t be made as Ying Yang. If you have two perfectly equal cuellindar channelers (one male, one female) the closest thing that can be made is a half white, half black disc with a straight line in between.  

But never once is it said that the cuellindar seals are made in the style of a Ying-Yang.  It a disc, half black, half white, and separated by a sinuous line.  It does not have the single circle within either portion that is the opposite color.

Yeah, the yin yang is half black and half white with a sinuous line between.

It actually is no problem to make a donut token, black in the center and white all around. A man starts the disc beginning the weave dead center and stops once the center spot is as large as he wants. Then a woman can start anywhere on the remaining iron and keep holding the weave until the circumference turns white all around the outside.

if a woman starts a disc in the center, another woman can continue the weave from the center to make the whole disc white. If a woman tries to pick a point near the center that isn’t the starting point and was already converted to cuellindar her weave will have no effect. If a woman picks up a disc started by another woman at the center of the disc and chooses to start a new weave near the edge in the iron, it should work just fine, tho perhaps where the two separate weaves meet it may not form one whole piece of cuellindar and/or a visible defect might appear. We know the seals don’t suffer that infirmity, so when black touches white it forms the solid cuellindar bond. 

Edited by jsbrads

But the descriptions of the seals say nothing of what you are saying.  In the books, the seals are the ancient symbol of Aes Sedai.  Where do you get that description that says there is a circle of alternating color within each side?  Where do you get the reference that the seals were made with saidar and saidin

I'm still trying to understand this.  If you were to go to the original covers, say The Path of Daggers, and view it you would see the symbol of Aes Sedai as half white, half black, with a sinuous line.  There is no mention artistically of an alternating circle within each half.

To take it further, whenever the Flame of Tar Valon or the Dragon's Fang are used as chapter markers, there is no alternating circle within either.

Black Cuellidar is made by men and White Cuellidar is made by women.

Can you think of a method of making the seals? I have thought about it and I’m pretty sure there is no way

Did LTT bring ready made seals to SG? Or did the weaves of the prison pass thru the iron discs and then they were converted into Cuellidar?

When making cuellindar, the weaves starts at the point you choose and then spreads out evenly in all directions until the entire iron item is converted.  

When a weak person starts, the converted part is very small at the point they started the weave. Even a weak person just maintains the weave as long as necessary. Some of the novices would work on a cup for a period of time, then they would go to their lectures and come back later and finish one item. 

Edited by jsbrads

The discs functioned as focus points. The actual true seals were saidin made. I do not know if Black Cuendillar is made by men or not, but the discs were forged by LTT. He could have made them by taking the symbols from his clothes, or from the Hall of the Servants, but the seals were forged by LTT. The discs did show getting dark, but those were caused by the Dark One breaking the seals, since his True Power corrupts even Cuendillar.

I do believe, however, that it is more likely that Cuendillar made by men is identical to that made by women based on other results of channelling, such as Traveling Gateways. I think they are identical in colour, just as the Gateways are identical. If there is Black Cuendillar, then I feel it is most likely forged from the True Power.

Edited by wotfan4472

14 hours ago, DragonFairy said:

Where is it said that white cuedillar is made by saidar and black made by saidin?

I still haven't gotten an answer to anything I've said, so I think the person isn't sure where.  It was never stated that the two halves were made with both aspects of the power, so there's no reason to revise what you thought, Dragon.