DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

March Roll Call (2019)

Ryrin

AH HA! I can post again!!

I drink beer? I celebrated it a little more when i was single and goign out drinking was still a thing. Now i just try to wear green so my kids don't pinch me.

I'm not a fervent Christian and don't attend a church, but @LilyElizabeth, Patrick did not.  He was on his mission in the mid-fifth century and made some converts in the eastern kingdoms of Ireland, but the kingdoms didn't fully convert until the end of the sixth and beginning of the seventh.  Christianity wasn't a malevolent religion in spreading, changed quite a lot, and was still "new" in the ninth century.  Charlemagne tried to do things the hard way in Saxony in the late eighth century and was condemned by major Christian leaders for trying that.  We worship the old gods still daily, with Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.  In Ireland, just about every myth of a "Hero" used to be a myth of a Celtic god and every leprechaun and fairy originates from a pagan myth.  They just changed honorifics. 

Since Christianity was such an cruel evil religion that put a boot on European pagans and demanded submission, isn't it surprising that Halloween and Christmas are filled with pagan rituals?  Isn't it surprising how many superstitions survive--we knock on wood, we still throw coins in ponds, we still like Arthur and the Lady of the Lake, and there are so many fairy tales? Pagan myths, every single one.  Weird, Isn't it? :smile:

The way Christianity "won" was by Christian missionaries examining every pagan ritual and urging the incredibly helpless pagans to replace the old god or goddess they were celebrating with Jesus, Mary, Joseph, or a saint.  People are throwing coins in ponds to honor the water spirit there, so build a church beside the pond and urge people to place the coin there instead.  The Early Middle Ages weren't when witches were burned at the stake, you had to get to the late Middle Ages and the enlightened Renaissance for that kind of thing to happen regularly.

As far as St Patrick's day goes, I'm not planning on doing anything.  Work, work, work!

Edited by haycraftd

Not particularly. I have some Irish in me on my mother's side, but the holiday itself usually falls over something else I'm doing (like Gulf Wars, when the schedule aligns). 

That said, I cook corned beef and cabbage more than once a year, just because corned beef is one of my favorite meats ever. And I mostly wear green just to keep other people from pinching me (I also discovered in first grade that anything not 'crayola' green was going to get me pinched anyway because apparently Kelly Green is too blue. 1st graders have no artistic sense).

That said, I do enjoy that it is also Saint Gertrude of Nivelles Day (patron saint of cat and cat lovers). ?

Edited by LadyWordsmith