DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Sheep Swallop

Ajah Changes From the Age of Legends

So I just finished a reread of the entire WoT series. Once again I was struck by the sheer genius Rigney imparted to his work. The depth. The richness. The back story...

Which is what led me down this line of thought. The ajahs HAD to have changed their "core" functions from the Age of Legends to the Third Age when the books are set. Work with me here. During the AoL, war had ceased to be even a memory. No "taint"; both men and women were members of the seven ajahs. So what were thier roles?

Some, I think, remained unaltered. The Brown, for instance. Accumulation and dispensation of knowledge. Research. No real movement. Even without war, questions of politics would have to be addressed. (The Blue.) The Yellow - healing is healing. The White. The pursuit of logic and philosophy never changes although the subject matter may. 

But the rest? First, let me start with what I think the Red was doing in the AoL. Certainly not hunting channeling men who made up half their membership. Policing/investigating/enforcement is what I deduced. War may have been eliminated as well as hunger. But violence? Cruelty to others? Theft? Hardly. My proof? The existence of "oath rods" and "binding chairs." They would only have been created if a need existed. I do remember a passing reference to the Ogier being used as enforcers in the AoL (Shadow Rising) when Rand was observing his past lives. Perhaps the Red was akin to the difference between street-cops and the FBI today?

So that brings me to the Grey. Now, mediation would still be in their wheelhouse. But? I think of "mediation" as JUDGING. Who better to sit in judgement than the "Servants of All" who have the wisdom of six to seven CENTURIES of life to draw from and who can ensure the witnesses tell the truth no matter the obfuscation attempts?

So this brings me - baffled - to the Green. The "Battle Ajah." Who, exactly, would they have been preparing to battle in a world without war? Rand/Lews makes reference to Aviendha about the "frivolous" nature of most of the channeling done during the AoL (Memory of Light). All those wonderfully destructive weaves had to be "discovered" for use during the War of Power. (Oooohhhh!! "Fingers of Fire!!!") So, I ask; what was the Green doing during the Age of Legends?

There are other aspects I haven't quite fit into my theory either. "Standing Flows." Who maintained those? Which ajah created all the objects of power? Or was this just an individual manifestation such as Elayne's power? I am curious for the community's response.

~ Peace

Edited by Sheep Swallop

The current ajahs didn't form until about 500 years after the white tower was formed.  Before that an ajah was a temporary association for a specific purpose.  After the trolloc wars it became a permanent thing.  So an ajah might form to find a better way to plant crops, after it was over the ajah would end.  In the AOL an ajah was more like a club or committee formed to solve a problem or discuss an issue.

The green ajah (called the battle ajah during the trolloc wars) purpose isn't simply to fight.  The green held itself ready for Tarmon Gai'don they don't wander around looking for fights.  They prepare themselves for the last battle.

Now that the last battle is over a few Ajahs will need to change.  Red and Green need new purposes.

Edited by Sabio

13 hours ago, Sabio said:

The current ajahs didn't form until about 500 years after the white tower was formed.  Before that an ajah was a temporary association for a specific purpose.  After the trolloc wars it became a permanent thing.  So an ajah might form to find a better way to plant crops, after it was over the ajah would end.  In the AOL an ajah was more like a club or committee formed to solve a problem or discuss an issue.

The green ajah (called the battle ajah during the trolloc wars) purpose isn't simply to fight.  The green held itself ready for Tarmon Gai'don they don't wander around looking for fights.  They prepare themselves for the last battle.

Now that the last battle is over a few Ajahs will need to change.  Red and Green need new purposes.

Sabio,

I respectfully disagree. This disagreement stems from an interaction between Mesaana and Alviarin. While being castigated for her failures and just before being shown the weave for Traveling, Mesaana said something very close to: "Your petty bickerings rise almost to the levels of the Ajahs." This, to me, strongly implies (if not proves by the use of the past-tense) that the Ajah's - in some form - existed before the Forsaken were sealed in the Bore.

You are definitely correct in that the post Last Battle configuration of the Ajahs would need a reevaluation. It is equally interesting to speculate as to whether the Black Tower would absorb the same associations/configuration. 

The information I posted is from the Big White book and companion.  The current Ajahs formed after the White Tower came into being.  Before that they were temp groups that would form and break apart.  Ajahs did exist in the AOL but they were different than the Ajah's Randland knows.

12 minutes ago, Sabio said:

The information I posted is from the Big White book and companion.  The current Ajahs formed after the White Tower came into being.  Before that they were temp groups that would form and break apart.  Ajahs did exist in the AOL but they were different than the Ajah's Randland knows.

Thank-you! I had no idea that this compendium existed!! Ordering as soon as I finish typing. (So long as it was Rigney who wrote it, that is.)

Sabio, you're the best!

The Ajahs are really constant there isn't any changes.

Also there really isn't much of an age of legends this sounds like A GoT reference and analogy to WoT... two different

series.

7 minutes ago, Apple151 said:

The Ajahs are really constant there isn't any changes.

Also there really isn't much of an age of legends this sounds like A GoT reference and analogy to WoT... two different

series.

Um....You HAVE read the series, yes? If so? I'd recommend a careful reread. If not? Then to it's finale? Sorry for the "spoiler" if the latter.

I like the companion. It can be disappointing for some stuff but does shed some good light on a lot of people and information.  Since it's basicly RJ's notes it's accurate, where the BWB contains some intentional and unintentional errors.  It really opens your eyes into how much thought and detail RJ put in his world.

Even if we presume the color system existed in the AoL, there is no reason to believe new Ajahs haven’t formed after the breaking like the Red or that the tasks chosen by a given Ajah hasn’t evolved over time. Even from Amyrlin administration to Amyrlin administration. Green siding with Red at the beginning of book 2 was one small change that happened in middle of one administration. 

I'm not necessarily sure ther ewere many changes per se... if any necessarily in some ways... not deep per se... perhaps.....

I think the  Ajahs rather function like they are described for the most part without necessarily a ton of change

sover time and stuff like that...

3 hours ago, CrystallineTart said:

I'm not necessarily sure ther ewere many changes per se... if any necessarily in some ways... not deep per se... perhaps.....

I think the  Ajahs rather function like they are described for the most part without necessarily a ton of change

sover time and stuff like that...

If you read Sabio's first response to my post - hits it on the head. On the advice and info given, I also bought a copy of the "Big White Book" compendium to the WoT. Rigney writes (or dictated) that there were no Ajahs as we came familiar with, during the AoL. They formed as the White Tower was founded as a way to connect (entangle? control?) the female channelers to a central authority figure (AS).

On 5/18/2019 at 9:16 AM, Sheep Swallop said:

If you read Sabio's first response to my post - hits it on the head. On the advice and info given, I also bought a copy of the "Big White Book" compendium to the WoT. Rigney writes (or dictated) that there were no Ajahs as we came familiar with, during the AoL. They formed as the White Tower was founded as a way to connect (entangle? control?) the female channelers to a central authority figure (AS).

You know, I always thought the Ajahs were remnants of the disparate groups of female channelers that came together to form the White Tower.