DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Level100

Questions on The Series in General (halfway into The Eye of The World) *Spoilers for books 1-3*

Hello, everyone. 

I’m new here and just started the series. Halfway into TEoTW and I’m really immersed in Jordan’s world. And it’s been a pleasure to steep myself in it.

i have a question about the series as a whole.

So I called a major plot point: I found out who the Dragon Reborn is before book three.

My question about the series is this: can I expect the books to be pretty traditional when it comes to twists of this sort?

I admittedly was hoping the Dragon would be someone other than who it is to subvert a certain trope.

Does Jordan generally play it safe with these twists? Can I expect the dealing with The Dark One to be fairly by the numbers, then?

If so, it’s fine, I’m still really enjoying this ride, even if I called the identity of the dragon.

I would like to be really thrown off and refreshed by twists, though.

it’s clear Jordan has placed emphasis on Rand, Perrin, and Mat to keep us guessing from who it might be, even if we nailed down WHY the Trollocs and Halfmen want them so much.

But I can’t help but suspect that’s part of the design. Put another way, I feel like Jordan is betting on us suspecting who the dragon is, and that it isn’t really about who it is. That make sense?

Would love your thoughts. Thanks!

Edited by Level100

I wondered much the same when I first read TEotW.  I had it figured out as well, but was second guessing myself, mostly because of things like Moiraine always stating that 'the Dark one wants one of you three, and I will kill you before I let him have you'.  

I now believe (after reading the series more than a dozen times) that Robert Jordan wrote it that way on purpose.  He gave enough clues to let the reader know who the Dragon Reborn was.  The story was better if the characters couldn't be sure of who it was though.

As far as twists, there are some good ones in later books.  There aren't any in that first one that I recall right now.  Having said that, you'll find that Jordan was a master of subtlety.  

Separately, it wasn't so 'tropey' when these were first written.  It was still fresh in 1990.  RJ ushered in a renewed interest in fantasy.

Bela the horse.

i get twists and that, but Tam said Rand was born on the mountain at the beginning of book one. That wasn’t going to be the twists. There are twists. Some people would like more, but I like it as it is.

this isn’t Lost, if that is what you are asking. 

The fact most the povs of the three are from Rand and Tam's fever talk let's the reader know it's probably Rand. But it was left vague for the characters since they aren't sure why the DO is seeking them.  it makes the story better having the three worry and all three have something happen to them that might get the DO's interest.

There are twists to be sure. I think you will be pleased. I don't want to offend anyone, but if you haven't figured out Rand is the DR by the end of TGH (a lot knew it well before that), then you're really not paying attention. RJ clearly intended this to be known early on.

It should be pretty clear by the end of book one that Rand is the Dragon Reborn.

Moiraine even comes out and says it. It's literally the last line of the book!

For a good twist Moraine could be wrong.

Even Tam could be wrong, but that is harder to believe.

There could have been multiple babies born in the mountain. A Harry Potter/Neville Longbottom duality (Also Longbottom killed Nagini, Voldemort’s last Horcrux).

But that isn’t this story. 

This is a story that explores the Chosen One character, going to moments that Frodo and Harry both hinted and circled around for their respective stories and to varying degrees of success.

Edited by wotfan4472