DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
JamesBrown

Board Games/Card Games

Any game players here? Do you enjoy card games?

card_games.jpg.0abb0580fb4ba67302a7a421ad686fc6.jpg

How about games of skill like poker?

poker_game.jpg.aa275951b949b6a78e83f003798da3b7.jpg

Or is solitaire more your speed?

Solitaire.png.1d736a9c0c759acdab499a291cff8c20.png

Or perhaps you prefer a board game?

New board games are created all the time...

adult_board_games.jpg.385900a55da7c4d2c65f45776be87330.jpg

Or do you prefer the classics like chess or checkers?

chess_checkers.jpg.186a565f04ab56f70460b7e56b490e03.jpg

The first playing cards appeared in the 9th century China, but they didn't appear in Europe until the 14th century.

Since then there have been countless varieties of card games over the years.

Some popular card games are actually common games that are commercialized by game manufacturers. For example, the game 'Uno' is based on the old game called Crazy Eights.

Board games are even older, having been found in Egyptian tombs dating back to c. 3500 B.C.E.

Some games, such as Chess, depend completely on player skill. Other games, like Candy Land, are dependent entirely on the luck of the draw or the roll of the dice. Many board games, however, like Risk, Monopoly, or backgammon, feature a mixture of luck and skill.

Do you enjoy playing games? What sort do you prefer? Do you enjoy solitary games, or would you rather play against friends and family?

Let's talk games!

We often play Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble and Rummikub. Played Monopoly a lot when we were children. We also play card games, like Rummikub and Spite & Malice.

I have a game or two to like.  I can get lost in playing Hearts or Solitaire--they're mesmerising.

I like a good poker game now and then, although I'm no good at it.  My first two-three years here in Edinburgh, I always had some cards nearby--a flatmate had known every card game in the world and all of us had liked a game called "Snap."  

My favorite game has to be Scrabble, though--a friend back home and I are very good at it.  She and I have "tournaments" against each other when I visit.  I won the last go round, she'll probably win the next one.

We are starting a game night with friends. I'm looking forward to playing a new card game we have called "Antidote" where one player is "poisoned" and he/she has to find the antidote from the pother players.

I'm also a member of a Medieval group and am learning some games.

Here is a cool site (Board Game Geek) that covers lots of board games but this is the  link to the medieval ones:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamecategory/1035/medieval

Edited by Ryrin

21 hours ago, JamesBrown said:

I've never heard of Spite & Malice.

Sounds like a wholesome family game!

If you're the Addams Family *grins*

Anyone heard of Catan? There is a basic game and then add on extensions/expansions. My next game purchase.

https://www.catan.com/game/catan

"Picture yourself in the era of discoveries: after a long voyage of great deprivation, your ships have finally reached the coast of an uncharted island. Its name shall be Catan! But you are not the only discoverer. Other fearless seafarers have also landed on the shores of Catan: the race to settle the island has begun!"

https://www.catan.com/tournaments-events

"In this area you can find information about special Catan events like the Catan Big Game, tournaments like the US Catan Masters and championships like the Catan World Championship."

https://catanshop.com/

Cities and Knights

Seafarers

Traders and Barbarians

Age of Darkeness

Settler's of America

Game of Thrones

Rise of the Inkas

Merchants of Europe

and a lot more!

Edited by Ryrin

We love Catan in our household! We haven't got any of the expansions yet but they are on our wishlist.

We also have the board game Pandemic that my partner got for Christmas but we've yet to play it yet, we need to have some people over.