DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Easter Egg? Master Luhhan

jsbrads

Aiel Blacksmiths follow the way of the leaf. 

Master Luhhan is queasy of blood.

Coincident? Or an Easter egg?

I don’t think it is discussed, but do gentle souls among the Aiel become blacksmiths? Or do Blacksmiths have to undergo what Avi did when the wise ones decided she had to burn her spears?

Like in Randland, not everyone wants to be a warrior.   Aiel blacksmith don't follow the way of the leaf, they will kill if they have to.  If trollocs attack the hold they would defend the place.  Aiel rules for who couldn't be harmed were designed to ensure if a hold was raided that it could rebuilt.  Only Gaishan were forbidden to do any harm ever.

• 2 months later...

It should be noted, no society actually allowed blacksmiths to go to war. Their benefit to war effort by producing armor and weapons outweighs any benefit they may contribute on a battlefield.

just learned this yesterday, but it is so obvious...

• 2 months later...

After Faile’s kidnapping, Sulin tells Perrin that everyone would pick up spears if needed except for the Blacksmiths. This doesn’t contradict what Rand said when he first saw an Aiel Blacksmith hefting a newly made spear. 

I think its more of if the hold was raided by say the Shaido a Blacksmith wouldn't pick a spear up, but if trollocs and Drakghar attack a hold they would jump into action.  I think the only people who would stand about and do nothing is the Gaishan. I remember Avi being offended that rumor said some Gaishan had picked up the spear to fight in the last battle.  I just couldn't imagine a BS chilling by the forge as trollocs ran by.

I know it doesn’t make sense, but a blacksmith fighting is the worst thing a nation can allow.

every minute he is working in the forge he is creating the weapons and armor that multiplies the effectiveness of warriors. Arrowheads and spearheads, long knives, other accessories.

I agree BS are really valuable to the hold.  But there is a difference between a BS going out fighting and the hold about to be destroyed by something like a Trolloc.  Something like A trolloc wouldn't simply ignore the BS.  So that's the big difference, if the Aiel attacked they wouldn't try to harm the BS, if for some reason an Aiel did try to harm the BS he would try to defend himself.  If it's life or death for the hold and the people there, the BS wouldn't hold back since something like a Trolloc would kill anything it came across.  You can't make weapons if everyone in the hold has been whiped out.