DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Mashiara Sedai

[White Ajah - Winter Carnival] Blacksmith Puzzles

wtr3.gif

This is a place to come and stretch your thinking.  I'll post puzzles of all shapes and sizes!  Solve the ones you can, skip the ones you can't, and let's see who has the biggest brain!

Answer any puzzles in the thread.  The first to guess it gets the point!

PUZZLE 1:

A businessman, for personal reasons of his own, needs to gain access to a notorious but elusive thieves guild. After snooping around the city for a few days, he finally gets a tip about the location of the guild entrance down a dark alleyway.

After observing the entrance for about an hour, the businessman notices that the thieves seem to have some sort of passcode system using numbers. When someone approaches the door, they are given a number, and then they reply with a number.

The first person steps up, and the guard tells them "twelve," to which they respond "six." The person is admitted. A second person approaches the door, and the guard tells them "six," to which they reply "three." The second person is also admitted.

Convinced that he has cracked the code, the businessman approaches the door to the thieves guild, and the guard tells him "ten," to which he confidently replies "five." The guard immediately slams the door in the businessman's face, and a deadbolt slots into place.

What should the businessman have said?

3 hours ago, art336 said:

There are three letters in the word ten.

This is correct!  To get past the guard, you have to say the amount of letters in the number.

1 point for art336!

I believe it's 2.

Purple triangles: Add the corner numbers to get the center number.

Red triangles: Subtract the two bottom corner numbers from the top corner number to yield the center number.

Take the vertical match in the plus sign. Use it to close the gap in the numeral six.

8 - 4 = 4

Simple algebra:

Cupcake + Cupcake - 1 = 1

2(Cupcake) = 2

Cupcake = 1 

Cupcake + Donut = 2

1 + Donut = 2

Donut = 1

Pizza - Donut = 2

Pizza - 1 = 2

Pizza = 3

Cupcake + Ice Cream Cone + Pizza + Donut = 8

1 + Ice Cream Cone + 3 + 1 = 8

Ice Cream Cone = 3

Cupake = 1   Ice Cream Cone = 3   Pizza = 3   Donut = 1  

No, not too easy. We Me'Arearths enjoy puzzles.

5 hours ago, Mashiara Sedai said:

Correct again!  (Are these too easy?)

LOL No, James is just good at puzzles. 

5 hours ago, JamesBrown said:

Cupake = 1   Ice Cream Cone = 3   Pizza = 3   Donut = 1

Correct again!  I love, love, love algebra and these picture puzzles tickle me in a such a delightful way!

Puzzle 5 (no math for this one):

Two fathers and two sons sat down to eat eggs for breakfast. They ate exactly three eggs, each person had an egg. The riddle is for you to explain how.

2 hours ago, Gentled Ben said:

Grandfather, son, and grandson enjoyed three eggs for breakfast together.

You got it, Ben!  One point for you!

Puzzle 6:

Futoshiki also known as "More or Less" is a logic puzzle with simple rules and challenging solutions.

The rules are simple.

You have to fill the grid with numbers so that: 
- The numbers are from 1 to the size of the grid i.e. 1 to 5 for a 5x5 puzzle. 
- Each row and column must contain only one instance of each number. 
- The numbers should satisfy the comparison signs - less than or greater than. 
- For bigger puzzles the letters (A,B,C etc.) follow after the number 9.

futoshiki.jpg

Nice puzzle, Mashiara. I've not seen these before. Took me a bit to figure it out.

More_Or_Less.JPG.93575f4d09a7f556716b5c3fc0a7c821.JPG

On 2/2/2019 at 4:09 AM, JamesBrown said:

Nice puzzle, Mashiara. I've not seen these before. Took me a bit to figure it out.

More_Or_Less.JPG.93575f4d09a7f556716b5c3fc0a7c821.JPG

Yes, you got it JamesBrown!  I'd never seen these before either.  I enjoyed it!  But when I tired a 5x5 puzzle, I couldn't figure it out!