DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
haycraftd

How do you like my paintings?

Over the past few months,  I remade my flat--and left for home right as everything was getting settled.  I redecorated the flat, replacing several flags with paintings, and it changed everything--I'm still evaluating it.  I found there's a big deal in the "recreated art" industry--I got all of this from Etsy and they were relatively inexpensive--two from an artist in Denmark, another in Great Britain, and a final one Russia.  Framing cost as much as the painting itself and the framer I went to went crazy over every one I got.  Is this Warder growing up? (I'm 31).  Does this Warder have an eye?

Sooo---this was my first (from Denmark): Woden's Wild Hunt, first painted in 1972 by Peter Arbo:

1140249091_Odins_Wild_Hunt.thumb.jpg.054f54120dc86ab89aa8c78cb4e8a3bd.jpg

The next was an "inking" of a faery Wild Hunt (Great Britain):

Another_faery_Wild_Hunt.thumb.jpg.1b8a960a80a118c9bd39e5b0920a6ca8.jpg

(And yes, I'm well aware that any gamer is wondering whether I was inspired by Witcher 3 with these two--well, yes--that and I'm studying Vikings and this is big Scandinavian mythology).

Then I decided to get a painting based off a copy of an 1895 illustration of Odin (Denmark) :Another_Odin.thumb.jpg.1f3bd411f1e748b81810d8d906d73b03.jpg

This Odin illustration reminded me very much of Gandalf, really.

After putting them all up, I decided I needed one more--and so found something in Russia.  I found a good painting (first painted in 1903 by Carl Schweninger) of the goddess of the moon, Luna:

Luna.thumb.jpg.7f40246036879546d9d5597afe4a515e.jpg

I left Britain only a couple of days after I put Luna up, only returned to Edinburgh a week ago, and so I'm still evaluating everything.  How is it, do you think?  It surprised me at how easily everything was.

The first one reminds me of The Battle of Falme!

I like them, the Faery Wild Hunt especially. Odin looks too kind in that picture! He does remind me of Gandalf.

The first one---wow!

I read about a woman who wanted to start a business. She had taken some art appreciation classes and put the knowledge to work. She buys amateur paintings for cheap at garage sales, flea markets, etc. Anything that looks good to her. Then she frames them nicely and displays them in her snooty gallery. She makes a shabby painting found in a bin look like a high-class work. She'll buy something for ten dollars and sell it for one hundred dollars.

Thanks!  I've not been able to choose the painting I like the most, really.  My flat is a tiny, so Odin (yes, @Ryrin, it is too kind to him) is the first thing you see coming in, look right and Woden's Wild Hunt is over my sofa, and look left the Faery Wild Hunt and Luna are on different walls over my bed.  Faeries and the moon watching over me!      

@Rhea--you're right, the first one is Falme--I can see it.  A painting of the Heroes of the Horn riding into Falme, sweeping out the Seanchan!

I started by looking for Wild Hunt mythology on Etsy and it was actually somewhat difficult at first because there was so much art about Witcher 3.  Then I found the recreated art business, with artists offering to paint specific paintings, with different prices for different sizes.  The Russian artists who did Luna also had me choose whether to paint it on canvas or on handmade paper, even.  We'll send it to you in a week and you can return it for __ days!  And it worked!      

@JamesBrown--that makes sense.  The canvas by itself wouldn't amazing, but tailored with the right frame, it can turn into something entirely different.  It would be kind of like how so many renovate their house before selling it, wouldn't it?  

I would love to see better quality photos of those - especially the Russian one. I have a great fondness for modern Russian painters.

Hmm--I'm happy to show everything, but I'm extremely bad at photos--so if I'm taking it, I might get it a bit fuzzy.  Let's see--for the first, Woden's Wild Hunt/Falme:

Another_Odin_Wild_Hunt.thumb.jpg.d37db7217b2eea43c7697db0549943c4.jpg

Or maybe this:

20190125_180712.thumb.jpg.c10e49cc6ba8775f4bc9e9bac83a8197.jpg

The Faery Wild Hunt--the clearest picture is probably the one I took before I went to frame it:

Wild_Hunt.thumb.jpg.342779a52297912b400cf0df8a8d36d7.jpg

And this:

Wild_Hunt_2.thumb.jpg.d0a91e5563b70982c13c174165082999.jpg

Now Odin--I've taken a few.

Another_Odin.thumb.jpg.f1e6dd113f2f874fb86b291d167cfbc3.jpg

or this:

20190125_180900.thumb.jpg.f3f5e89fdb1ed1db7d943389783b9aad.jpg

Now, on Russian Luna, I can't seem to get the best:

Here's a picture of her before I put it up:

My_best_shot_at_Luna.thumb.jpg.67cf5fb6924202ad73797373ca575fa0.jpg

Or this right now:

20190125_184535.thumb.jpg.7a845e87d69c603741bfe1ecd61dbaa7.jpg

Luna was the longest one to come because she came from Russia, and the picture there seems to give her justice--

image 0

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/553341872/luna-moon-art-lunar-decor-moonlight?ga_search_query=luna&ref=shop_items_search_1&crt=1

This advertisement is fairly close to how good it actually is.  I've looked at the others and my photos are probably better.

It was a big thing putting everything up.  This building's three receptionists seem to have decided I'm an adopted (little, of course, even though I'm older) brother.  They were about as excited as I was about the paintings and in helping me get them up.

As long as we're comparing to WoT....

The Luna painting could be a stylized version of Lanfear.

The Odin painting brings to mind Thom Merrilin, or perhaps Jain Farstrider. Maybe old man Mat.

The Wild Hunt obviously suggests Perrin, perhaps in the Wolf Dream.

On 1/26/2019 at 7:10 PM, JamesBrown said:

As long as we're comparing to WoT....

The Luna painting could be a stylized version of Lanfear.

The Odin painting brings to mind Thom Merrilin, or perhaps Jain Farstrider. Maybe old man Mat.

The Wild Hunt obviously suggests Perrin, perhaps in the Wolf Dream.

I like what you did there *grins*

Hahaha, thanks!

The Wild Hunt--that wolf at the bottom's got to be Hopper--right?  Guiding Perrin through the Wolf Dream. :smile:

I'm guessing the Russian artists know what they're doing.  I found them offering deals to paint several paintings for the price of one--I couldn't take a deal because I only needed the one painting. 

Luna (Lanfear :smile:) shipped about three days after I ordered.  It took a good two weeks to get here, going through customs and all--(it spent a good long while in Latvia)--and then framing it took a few more days, because the framer had to send it to a workshop in Aberdeen to get things right--but when I finally put everything up it was all worth it. 

I just finished everything up in my flat.  Here are the last two.

I put some America into it with this, if it itself came from Norwich, England:

Bald_Eagle.thumb.jpg.cd4e5751d4438f483011b06cf554c299.jpg

And then I put some Arthurian legend in here, with the Lady of Shallot, first painted in 1875 by John Grimshaw:

Shallot_hand.thumb.jpg.cb8be5638db1e07c979149e34f85dc87.jpg

I, naturally, can't get a good shot on this because I never can and it's in the wrong light, but this is also Russian, from the same artists that did Luna.  Seeing as I'm kind of a Viking guy, friends have noted it could also be one of those Viking ship burials.     

Edited by haycraftd

Yes, this one's covered in green. (Etsy picture).  985658894_EtsyShallotpicture.thumb.jpg.e37f96794bcdaaf03fcf9eb9f953d3e8.jpg

Late September, when I bought "Woden's Wild Hunt," is my first time getting involved in trying to do anything seriously art-related--creatively, I've written a few stories and played a few instruments, but I can't draw/paint and didn't think I had an eye for it.  It's been somewhat fun finding out that I do.  

Edited by haycraftd

We seem to have the same taste in art 🙂