DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Sign in to follow this  
jsbrads

Day 2 Rand’s first channeling.

Typical channeling for men is to reach out to the source and touch it... Rand couldn’t see the source yet, wasn’t in The Oneness, and didn’t experience the nausea.

Could it be possible for people who don’t know how to channel to draw from the inside of the source without touch the surface and the taint?

Sorry but what evidence of channeling are you referring to? As far as I Remember the first channeling was him taking the fatigue from Bella. Perhaps he didn't notice the taint, or the power. Nyneave used the power for years without knowing IE. she says "she always knew when her healing would work especially well" so maybe he had touched the source for the first time there. I dont remember clearly if there were any signs of touching the source so early on. Like getting sick or dizzy or anything. maybe you will notice or remember.

I think its more because you are just brushing the surface instead of fully embracing it so you don't feel the taint.  Bella was the first time and his giddiness later in Merelon was the after effects.  It starts out as you want something and it happens, you don't embrace the source.  Which is why anyone not trained in the power usually are very limited to what they can do since they have no idea how to open themselves up to the power.  

It is like a pool; one cannot touch the clear water without going through the oil that surfaces it. So, no. Perhaps the men who were learning to channel on their own, most of the time only got the oil, the taint. No human male could get to the Source save through the slimy surfave, that would taint them each and every time.

Well we know it's possible since the first few times Rand never encountered the taint/filth.  But the first few times was all channeling by accident he wasn't trying to embrace the power.  The madness will still slowly seep into him  I see it as instead of jumping in the water he barely touched it with his finger so he wouldn't really feel the oil yet. What he did was touching the water and quickly removing his hand.  But the longer he keeps his finger in the water and the more times he touches the water the harder it's going to be not to notice or feel the oil.   Since once the person starts to channel they can't stop, so like it or not he will have to keep dipping his finger in the oil.  Just like Nyn when she was wisdom first started channeling without the warm feeling of touching the female half.  

Edited by Sabio

My premise is if you reach out to the source, you touch it on the outside.

But if you reach deep into yourself, in your depths is a doorway to the depths of the True Source. 

If he's not aware he's touching the source then he wouldn't be aware of the taint. Kind of like Nynaeve not knowing she had been wielding the power for years. 

Also, he did have a reaction to it. Maybe not the nausea (which he didn't get until after the lightning strike in Four Kings) , but the headaches in Baerlon and the 'taking foolish chances' and 'exhilaration' with the whotecloaks and again with climbing the mast on Bayle Domons boat. On a first read through you miss those subtle little hints, but they are there.

Edited by Meli

Its not the sensation of channeling, he channels with no idea what he is doing.  All of that is reaction to channeling, everytime he channels the reactions come closer and closer to the actual channeling.  But he has no sensation to channeling everything he feels is the side effects.  After killing Aginor in the blight is when the channeling and reaction happening close together.  His having a hard time walking was a reaction, after they happen almost at the same time, the reactions to channeling stop.

The end of book 1 is when the channeling and reactions happen almost at the same time.  After that he doesn't get the side effects of starting to channel such as taking chances, trouble moving his limbs, etc anymore and starts to experience the filth/taint.  So my guess is a channeler doesn't feel the taint until they survive the channeling and side effects happening at the same time part.

Yes but there is opening yourself to channel and then there is a quick unintentional use.  If you notice before Rand became a channeler, fully aware of what he was doing and willing try to embrace the power, all you get are the side effects from channeling (the taking chances etc,,) but not the filth feeling.  After book 1, when the using the power and the side effects happened near the same time, all he gets is the filth.  The difference is he knows he can channel and needs to embrace the source to channel.  Just like the women who are starting to channel never seem to notice the warmth of touching the female half until they survive the side effects and become aware what they are doing.  A wilder like Nyn, had she stayed in the Two Rivers, never would of felt the feeling of opening herself to the source since she had built up a block, so it might have to do with you have to open yourself up to the power to feel the good or bad.  

In one of Rand's lives in book 2 I believe he was a member of the Queen's guards and was lucky, he thought later he understood why but he didn't care.  He was suffering from touching the male half but was basicly a wilder and it was never said he was feeling the filth.  So I think a lot has to do with someone who channels but doesn't really know it or is never trained how to do it aren't fully opening themselves up enough to feel the filth or warmth.  They are incapable of doing anything more then a quick touch of the surface.   It's possible Rand would of started to feel nausea when he accidently channeled and not probably not understand why.  But there seems to be a difference between inadvertently channeling and intentionally channeling.

Rand felt hot and cold when he channeled at the beginning of book 1.

the only explaination I can come up with is that since he did it while racing on a horse thru the night while running from a fade... he was overstimulated and didn’t have the time to fully experience the scum.

appreciate your perspective here and elsewhere. Enjoying everone’s comments.

I think I found a good example of why at first Rand never experienced the filth of the male half.  In Book 5 when Rand opens himself up to the male half it's described as "he reached out to saidin, filled himself with the one power.  The power itself felt like life itself swelling in him.  Then the Dark ones taint filled him, too.  It was a torrent that threatened to sweep him away, a raging flood he had to fight every moment.  he wanted to hold onto the sweetness of Saidin forever".  

When he first channeled he never opens himself up to it, he channels by accident so never "fills himself" up with it.  Thus he never felt the life itself swelling in him. sweetness, or the filth yet.  He didn't have to fight the raging flood since he was never actually drawing in the power as he does when he learns to channel.

Edited by Sabio

I would challenge Book 5’s description is none chronological. The scum is more often described as a surface phenomena, it happens first. One must go thru the scum to reach the power.

It is far more likely RJ didn’t fully develop the mechanics of the scum in book 1. Or RJ intentionally left it out to maintain a hair’s breadth of chance Rand wasn’t LTT, tho after the LTT prolog and the fever story of Tam...

But if we do believe the story is accurate, then the lack of scum is disconcerting. 

It could also be the more you channel the quicker you feel the filth.  I don't think he left it out, as Nyn never experienced the feeling of channeling when she was wisdom.  I still think the key isn't just being able to channel but opening yourself up to the power to channel.  It's something Rand in book 1 never does,  he just gets desperate and things happen, he never opens himself up or fills himself up with the power.  It's just quick things that occur as he gets desperate.

Rand is still describing the hot and cold in book 1. We never see Nynaeve channel before she knows she can channel.