DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I could be completely wrong about this, I haven't read WoT since AMoL. However, I've been listening to the audiobook on Libby while at work, and I believe Mat is Jak o' the Shadows. It's probably been discussed before, and I have to head back to work so I don't have much time to list my reasons, but I remember thinking that back when I was reading it, and it just came to mind again. 

... Wow, I can't believe I either didn't remember, or never figured that out. Either way, it makes much more sense that way. 

On 1/13/2019 at 6:24 PM, DemandredFO said:

Matt is Aemon reborn

On 1/13/2019 at 7:46 PM, Sabio said:

Or of Aemon's blood.  RJ to my knowledge always refused to answer that.

After reading up more about Aemon, that makes perfect sense. He has his mannerisms quite nicely. 

When Matt is healed in the White Tower, we see his flashback POV as Aemon commanding the Heart Guard.  Aemon was married to an Aes Sedai Queen who drew too much of the OP and melted Manetheran away when he died, and for the betrayal of the Aes Sedai and the men of Aridhol not coming.  Oddly enough, the Ogier supposedly couldn't come in time, yet they had the Ways in which to travel through.  I don't believe they were dark at that time.

The parallels between Tuon channeling and being empress of Seanchan and Matt's behavior also lend to him being Aemon. 

The one thing is in the WOT companion, it doesn't mention him being Aemon.  Sadly it mentions very little about that part.  I have never been able to decide for myself if RJ meant him to be or not.

I don't think they were letting anyone use the ways at that time.  Aemon had to march days from the battle he was at to get home, when they could of used the ways.  So I am guessing by that time they were dangerous.