DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
JamesBrown

An Encounter in the Training Grounds

"STAND TO!" I roared.

Across the Warder Training grounds pairs of men, stripped to the waist, relaxed their fighting stances and lowered their swords.

"Take ten," I ordered, allowing them their first rest of the morning's exercises. They made their way across the open ground to the water barrel, murmuring quietly to each other.

At the far end of the yard, several Aes Sedai and Accepted were standing with their typical serene faces, watching the swordsmanship. If they have nothing better to do this fine spring day than watch the strokes and counterstrokes of muscular young men, who am I to complain?

As Master at Arms, my duty is to whip pathetic Algai into shape. This last batch has a handful who show some promise, but it's good we only use wooden practice swords, lest they cut off their own toes. It will take hard work and much time before any of them are ready for their Warder cloaks.

As I left my quarters in the Green, one could see that my eyes were full of purpose, as I walked down to the Training Grounds. Novices and Accepted curtseyed and scurried off to their classes and duties. I paid them no mind. 

There they are. Fortunately, the warderlings were on a break, leaning against the wall, and wiping sweat out of their eyes. It was admirable that the training was strenuous. The training broke many. Being a Warder was an especially hard task and more difficult still to be the Warder of the Captain General of the Green Ajah.

I glanced at James, the Master of Arms. He had the combination of qualities, that I require in a Warder, starting with courage. Strength of conviction, loyalty, integrity, maturity, and balance are the others. It also helps that we have a true friendship.

Master at Arms, I said loudly, in an attempt to be heard across the yard. James turned and walked over.

"James, I know being a bonded Warder is not a simple task. It is a life faced with challenges and often a difficult end. I have waited long to find both a friendship and partner to share in the duties expected of an Aes Sedai. Would you consider the Warder Bond with me?"

I backed away, waiting for his answer.

I gazed into Ryrin's green eyes, not sure that I heard correctly. But her expression told true.

"My lady," I replied, "you were courteous to me when I was but a wide-eyed, snot-nosed Warderling. And as I trained, and achieved my rank, I saw right away that you have the character that anyone, man or woman, could aspire to.

"You are brave, honest, and loyal to your friends. We have worked together, played games together, and shared secrets together."

"However," I said, leveling my stare at her, "what you have asked of me, the bonding of Aes Sedai and Warder, is a heavy price to pay."

Then I smiled. "I would pay the price, and thrice over."

I knelt in the manner trained. "Ryrin, Captain General of the Green Ajah, I would be honored to be your Warder. My oath, my loyalty, and my protection are yours, until death separates us."

honor_respect.gif.d762ad630437f8eb3aac395a733a916b.gif

I was touched and had not expected such a remarkable response. Having only one Warder has always been my desire.

I am very pleased that you will allow me to bond you as my warder, knowing fully the significance of such a bond. My hands moved forward, channeling the bonding weave, as I laid it upon him.

Suddenly, we both had an awareness of the other!!!!!

I feel honored to be the first to congratulate my two friends on their bonding. May the bond stay strong, always. 

James and Ryrin, congratulations to you both. 

(Hugs both. Then straightens her gown and moves to stand beside Lily to allow others to congratulate the pair.)

Thank you, my Sisters.  ❤️

I'm happy for you both!! Congratulations! ?

23 minutes ago, Elgee said:

Congratulations!

Thank You!

Aww that's lovely, congrats guys.

Congrats to both of you!