DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Rhea

White Ajah - Getting Lean in 2019!

We're back! 

For those who are continuing from 2018, let's not grow weary! Keep up the good work!

For those who are joining us for the first time this year, read on so you can see what we're about:
aa4c68b98856cbc58c6da71a972adc28.jpg

How many of you have resolved over and over again to lose those extra pounds and get in shape? 

How many times have you made the same New Year's resolution only to quit a few weeks (or days!) later? 

I know I have... and I'm SICK of it!     :mad:

In 2012 and 2013 I lost over 80lbs. I got a new job in 2014 and since then I have put all the weight back on, and then some!!! 2018 was actually the worst for me because I was in grad school and out of commission for surgery over the summer break. I really need to make a lifetime change. Its not easy and I can't do it alone. So here I am and I hope you will join me!

Lets try to keep on this theme from last year and post at least once a week:

Meal Plans: This will be to help us decide what we'll eat for the week ahead of time so we'll avoid as many temptations as possible. We can share recipes and strategies to cut down time in the kitchen. That's especially important for those of us who are working parents!

Weigh-in: Yea, it's gotta be done. I wont pressure anyone into revealing their weight if they don't want to. What I'd love to see is a post on whether we lost 1lb, 3 lbs or stayed the same for that wk. If we know what your goal loss is then we can help you count down. 

Fitness: Tell us what you did this week to get active. Give tips and suggestions to those who are struggling to find time to fit in some exercise.

Other topics will also be posted each month in Rhea's Health Living Digest to help motivate us as we get fit in 2018! 

If you're game, stick with me here and watch as we finally make good on these long overdue fitness goals!  

I’m in. I think I’m going to work on changing behaviors, moving towards health and not focusing on certain weight loss. I will weigh in once per week to see if those new behaviors are effective.

I am trying to focus on behaving better as well. I have been on too many "diets" in the past. I know that I need to pay attention to my portions, eat healthy and exercise. 

I've been sooo tired lately though. Anyone have any tips for boosting energy?

I bought a fitness tracker to count my steps! I'm very excited about it!  The one on my phone works, but since I don't always have it on me, there are steps that aren't counted.

Also, I'm starting the Couch to 5k program tomorrow.  My school district has a "Be Well" program to promote good health and we can get a discount on our health care payment if we participate in enough events.  Anyway, I signed up for Couch to 5k, but since I was the only one who signed up at my school, they made me the coach.  Now I'm in charge of trying to get others to participate too!  So after school three times a week I'm hosting running sessions!  I hope we get a good turn out, but I don't think I will.....

Also, I'm still ice skating twice a week (about 2 hours total) and I want to return to Irish dance (I took most of November and December off since the kiddos were working on their recital dance and I wasn't getting much instruction).  And I've been taking a 20-30 minute walk on my lunch break.

Continuing these things in 2019 will make me healthier!

3 hours ago, Rhea said:

I am trying to focus on behaving better as well. I have been on too many "diets" in the past. I know that I need to pay attention to my portions, eat healthy and exercise. 

I've been sooo tired lately though. Anyone have any tips for boosting energy?

Portion control is huge and a great difficulty for me. Aside from getting enough sleep, minimizing stress, exercise seems to give me more energy.

9 minutes ago, Mashiara Sedai said:

I bought a fitness tracker to count my steps! I'm very excited about it!  The one on my phone works, but since I don't always have it on me, there are steps that aren't counted.

Also, I'm starting the Couch to 5k program tomorrow.  My school district has a "Be Well" program to promote good health and we can get a discount on our health care payment if we participate in enough events.  Anyway, I signed up for Couch to 5k, but since I was the only one who signed up at my school, they made me the coach.  Now I'm in charge of trying to get others to participate too!  So after school three times a week I'm hosting running sessions!  I hope we get a good turn out, but I don't think I will.....

Also, I'm still ice skating twice a week (about 2 hours total) and I want to return to Irish dance (I took most of November and December off since the kiddos were working on their recital dance and I wasn't getting much instruction).  And I've been taking a 20-30 minute walk on my lunch break.

Continuing these things in 2019 will make me healthier!

That is awesome and sounds like a lot of fun.

I signed up to a C25K group at work, to see if running with some people will help me stick to it. We start in a couple of weeks.

C25K is a running program where you train three times a week for eight weeks, the workouts getting harder as the weeks progress.  It mixes running and walking to make it easier.  There's an app you can download that helps.   

For my running sessions at school.... I ran alone on Monday and Friday.  I had one other person join me on Wednesday.  ?  But that's okay.  I'll try again this week and hope people join me.  If not, I'm fine running on my own!

I skated for two and a half hours today.  It was lovely, but my knees hurt now.

Checking in!  I'm at 145 lbs.  I need to get to 137 lbs (I think) to meet my goal for the school district.

My running is going well!  It's hard, but I'm enjoying it.  I haven't had anyone else join me, so I'm running solo, but I kinda like it that way.  It makes me feel like my goal is worthwhile, working at it on my own.  Having help is not a bad thing, but being able to say I did it by myself might give my confidence a boost!

For my skating, I'm working on my Adult 5 skills.  I need to be able to do back crossovers clockwise and counterclockwise (which I can already do).  I need to do forward outside three turns on my right and left foot (I can do these 75% of the time).  I need to do forward swing rolls (I had a private lesson on these so I'm confident I can pass them).  I need to do a beginning two-foot spin (this is more tricky.  I can only get around two times.....).  And the one I'm most concerned about is skating backward on one foot along the curve of a circle.  UGH!  I can do backward one foot on a straight line, but adding in the curve is too hard!  I'm hoping I can master the last two by the end of February when I take my end of session test!  

Impressive, Mashiaria! Good on you for sticking with it.

For me, I don't have weight to lose, but I do aim for strength training three times a week. Two of those sessions require me to get up at 3:30am, so some mornings it's a real struggle.

But hey, if it was easy, everyone would do it.

I've been swimming laps 5 days a week. Back stroke and side stroke. Today was the first day back for our bike group social ride. It was a lot of fun. almost 8 miles.

I know what I need to resolve. Night eating. I'm a night owl. I like to read, listen to Podcasts, listen to audio books.

we got an exercise bike so been burning more calories than before and it feels good. the scale says i need to lose another ten pounds but i dont necessarily feel like i do. hoping its muscle mass but who knows i could be fooling myself. 

@Ryrin i read that you shouldn't really eat beyond 9pm, and not again until after 9am. might help to try and keep to a schedule

I’m trying to keep a schedule. Lol, my chihuahua loves my later night snack runs. I might have to disappoint her.

I started cycling again. It’s been beautiful outside. Last night was 10 miles.

I decided that I’ll never do it on my own and signed up for the program. There is a menu counted specially for me, video exercises and daily routine: drinking enough water, getting enough sleep etc.

And the most important part for me - you need to send reports of your weekly progress.

I’ve already lost 5 kg. ?

7 more to go.

I hear you kukaso! I can't do it on my own. I've gotten very out of shape over the last 3 years of grad school and since I'm done, passed all my exams, and on to a new job soon (fingers crossed) it's time for me to get back to where I was before school. So today I went back to Weight Watchers. 

Well, I don't think I'm lean exactly, but I can now run a 5k!

The programme is really good, but the suportive people in work have been the best bit, particularly went we got up to running for 20 minutes. I couldn't have got this far without them.

I can now run a 5k in about 43 - 45 minutes. A bunch of us have signed up for a race in a couple of weeks and I would be very happy if I could do it in 40 minutes.

Elaevia, that sounds cool ☺️

I began running couple of years ago with c25k and finally ran 7*3 relay with my sisters. Races are such a motivation ?

Congratulations, Via!

I guarantee you'll be motivated at the time of the race. The adrenaline gets pumping, and I'll bet cash money that you make a better time than you would have thought possible.

Good luck!

I did it!

It was a really good atmosphere - lots of people at the start and people came out of their homes on the route too - the little kids were particularly cute holding their hands out for high fives on the way past.

I was really proud of myslef that I ran the whole way, even up a really steep hill bit, and managed a time of 37 and a half minutes.

Wohooooo!

Nice!

Well done, Via. I knew you could do it, and you set a PR (Personal Record.)

How long until you run another one?

As for me, I'm coming to realize that I'm not gaining weight, but I'm developing a muffin top at my waistline. No type of exercise seems to do anything to it.