DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Forsaken and the "New" Tongue

The Don

One thing that has been bugging me in my last read-through is that the Forsaken grew up speaking the Old Tongue, were locked away for 3000 years, and all the sudden speak a whole new language. In the case of Aginor, within a few weeks or months. Nobody that has ever come into contact with them commented about a funny accent. I know it's nitpicking but its just one of those things that I noticed and can't un-notice.

Not sure about the others but would make sense Ishy spoke it since he kept getting spun out.  if you go by the companion the "new" tongue started appearing  during the AOL possibly around the breaking but is unknown if was spoken before then.  It mentions part of the problem was scholars considered it beneath notice since the Old tongue was the language of nobles, educated, scholars so there was no real desire to study the language or history of "commoners".

My guess is an RJ answer would be the forsaken were given a crash course as they were freed and got adjusted to the new world.  Since it's likely they needed some education before being sent out, Dem for instance would need some updating on what Shara was like, Samm in Illian etc.. Possibly a weave or items that acted as translators.  Also possible since the "new"tongue was considered a lot less complicated, that is was a lot easier to pick up.

Edited by Sabio

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, The Don, for asking this question that's been on my mind as well.  And thanks, Sabio, for providing a plausible reason.  I like the idea of the DO giving them each a "crash course" the best.  For someone that can put souls into new bodies, it probably isn't too much of a stretch to add a "Rosetta Stone"-type of transference into the mix.