DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
WWWwombat

Who should/will the Dems run in 2020?

4 hours ago, Nolder said:

Dude put black balls in our reservoir to help slow evaporation. I'm not a scientist and I can't say with absolute certainty it doesn't work but I've always been told black absorbs heat. I don't see why these balls wouldn't absorb heat, transfer it to the water and speed evaporation.

Uhhh Wrong thread? lol

*EDIT*
So I totally misread the dude in that this morning, and for some reason I thought you were telling Tyz to put black balls in his reservoir. o_O

I must have looked back at it half a dozen times before I got that you were talking  about your mayor.

As for the purpose of those, it makes sense.

Black doesn't so much absorb heat as it doesn't reflect all wavelengths of light.

An example is in a Garden.
If you're in the South West, you basically require some form of shade, else you'll fry your garden.

If you invest/research into Shadecloth, they have every color under the sun for sale, with a variety of thicknesses and how much sunlight they let pass through (10% to 100%)
Sometimes, certain colors are better if you want to let certain wave lengths of light through, but not all.
Black, will not reflect (thus absorb) all of those light wavelengths and thus offer the most shade of any color of any %.

An added side effect of this is the heat trapped in that cloth can be beneficial for creating condensation back into your garden, specially at night.

Also have to remember about heat transfer.

The surface of those balls will be hot, the surface under water will be water temperature. 
So the water is actively cooling the balls, while the balls are transferring heat to the water & the air around them.
Conversely, if the sun is shining directly on the water, the sun is heating only the water, which reflects/intensifies in itself. The water then heats the air, and the surface boils/evaporates away.

Edited by SinisterDeath

3 hours ago, Nolder said:

I'd love to understand how. Everything I know tells me it shouldn't.

They block direct sunlight, and have the best weight to shade (I guess) you'd call it ratio.

"That's a wicked over simplification; you're essentially saying that white people will only vote for white people; i'd point you to the elections of 2008/12 when Obama won with parts of that vote. "

Nope not at all. The white working class would vote for Biden not because he is white but because he has a record of championing their interestes. He comes from the working class, he identifies with it and those in the white working class know and appreciate that fact. All the other Democratic 2020 candidates that have been named, are geared to represent the interests of minorities and splinter groups. They simply do not speak the language of the white working class and in the eyes of that working class have been quite willing to sacrifice its interests to benefit the minority groups they champion. 

Obama, especially in 2008 ran as a "unifier" thus it's not surprising that large segments of the white working class voted as they traditionally did for the Democratic candidate.  

Edited by CUBAREY

10 hours ago, CUBAREY said:

Obama, especially in 2008 ran as a "unifier" thus it's not surprising that large segments of the white working class voted as they traditionally did for the Democratic candidate.  

I'm pretty sure the unifier theme will be baked into the democratic ticket; only someone who can claim that mantel will win, given as though Trump has shown no interest in representing any more than 35-45% of the population.

Hickenlooper fits your "working class" background criteria; from "Main Line" outside Philly, went to school to be a geologist, laid off, started a brewery...

He doesn't have the name recognition or "instutional" support of the top 5.

I'd toss him the group of "good governor-based candidates" (along with Inslee, and the governor of Montana), who would be solid candidates against a Jeb/Rubio/even cruz type re-election, but I don't think they  have the head-line-narrative-driving talents needed this cycle.

"Hickenlooper fits your "working class" background criteria; from "Main Line" outside Philly, went to school to be a geologist, laid off, started a brewery..."

Do you actually know what the "Main LIne" is? No one who can be said to be a product of the Main Line can be considered to be working class. 

"The Philadelphia Main Line, known simply as the Main Line, is an informally delineated historical and social region of suburban Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Lying along the former Pennsylvania Railroad's once prestigious Main Line, it runs northwest from Center City Philadelphia parallel to Lancaster Avenue (U.S. Route 30"

Today, the "Main Line" is another name for the western suburbs of Philadelphia along Lancaster Avenue (U.S. Route 30) and the former Pennsylvania Railroad Main Line, extending from the city limits to, traditionally, Bryn Mawr and ultimately Paoli,[8] an area of about 200 square miles (520 km2). The upper- and upper middle-class enclave has historically been one of the bastions of "old money" in the Northeast, along with places like Long Island's Gold Coast, Westchester County, New York, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, and Fairfield County, Connecticut.

It is home to some of the wealthiest communities in the United States, such as Gladwyne, which has the 14th highest per-capita income in the country for places with a population of 1,000 or more. The eastern section of Villanova was also ranked 39th in "The Elite 100 Highest Income Neighborhoods in America" with a median annual household income of $366,904.[9]"   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Main_Line

Further a person that goes to college, gets a professional degree and whose answer to being laid-off is to start a brewery. He would fit the description of working class, if he was from Northern Philadelphia, worked in a brewery after hiigh school, them went to college and made something of himself..

In contrast Biden was born in Scranton, into a working class family that eventually moved to Delaware but which never rose above working class stauts until Biden worked himself through college and law school. (Compare the median income of places like Gladwyne or Villanova ($366,000) to that of Scranton ($38,000). Add to that that Hickenlooper's birth town was in the very center of the Main Line, one of the oldest and whitest bastions of old money while Biden is from Scranton  the geographic and cultural center of the Lackawanna River valley, and the largest of the former anthracite coal mining communities

If we take Hickenlooper's actual town of birth (Narbeth PA) the discrepency is still quite large as the median income is just under $80,000 compared to Scranton's $38,000. Hickenlooper is a product of one of the most privileged areas of the country, solidly at the very least upper middle class, Biden comes from an industrial working class area that is at best working class.

31 minutes ago, CUBAREY said:

If we take Hickenlooper's actual town of birth (Narbeth PA) the discrepency is still quite large as the median income is just under $80,000 compared to Scranton's $38,000. Hickenlooper is a product of one of the most privileged areas of the country, solidly at the very least upper middle class, Biden comes from an industrial working class area that is at best working class.

Slightly interesting is that the county I live in has a Median income of $53K.

Much further away, Henneppin County (Minneapolis, which I wouldn't even put as having all that wealthy of a population) sits around $70k.
So I find it funny that a Median Income of $80k is considered Upper Middle, or Upper class... Unless we're talking about 1970s and not today's money.

1 hour ago, CUBAREY said:

Further a person that goes to college, gets a professional degree and whose answer to being laid-off is to start a brewery. He would fit the description of working class, if he was from Northern Philadelphia, worked in a brewery after hiigh school, them went to college and made something of himself..

The president is the poster child for upper class white privledge. His only identiy with the "working class" is that cultural elites excluded him.

Edited by Tyzack

6 minutes ago, Tyzack said:

The president is the poster child for upper class white privledge. His only identiy with the "working class" is that cultural elites excluded him.

Working class would kick him out of a BBQ when he puts ketchup on a steak.

1 hour ago, SinisterDeath said:

Slightly interesting is that the county I live in has a Median income of $53K.

Much further away, Henneppin County (Minneapolis, which I wouldn't even put as having all that wealthy of a population) sits around $70k.
So I find it funny that a Median Income of $80k is considered Upper Middle, or Upper class... Unless we're talking about 1970s and not today's money.

By Ty's standards he is a product of an area whose median income is around $388,000 which I would consider in the upper reaches of the upper middle class or lower reaches of the upper classes. Also note the figure $80,000 is per person. Most people live in two earner families so while I would qualify $80,000 as meh middle class a $160,000 household is upper middle class by American standards  (By worldwide standards almost all Americans would be deemed at least middle class and most wealthy as worldwide the cutoff for the top 1% is around $32,000)

1 hour ago, Tyzack said:

Trump does not claim to be working class, he claims being concerned with the same issues that concern the working class. Also besides being rejected by the Elite Trump also has language (his use of what you would call offenisve language, and inarticuteness) in common with the working class. Also Trump is not the "dream" candiate for the working class, but at least he talks about the things they are concerned with and in ways that they recognize as authentic.

33 minutes ago, CUBAREY said:

By Ty's standards he is a product of an area whose median income is around $388,000 which I would consider in the upper reaches of the upper middle class or lower reaches of the upper classes. Also note the figure $80,000 is per person. Most people live in two earner families so while I would qualify $80,000 as meh middle class a $160,000 household is upper middle class by American standards  (By worldwide standards almost all Americans would be deemed at least middle class and most wealthy as worldwide the cutoff for the top 1% is around $32,000)

$338K would definitely be upper-middle if not upper class here. Even in the cities where cost of living is higher. California standards? That might be middle class...

Side note:

I looked up my township on https://datausa.io/ (where I got the previous figures)

And holy shit. Median Income $15k? Average age 61.5? I'm positively rich by those figures! lol 

33 minutes ago, CUBAREY said:

Also besides being rejected by the Elite Trump also has language (his use of what you would call offenisve language, and inarticuteness) in common with the working class. Also Trump is not the "dream" candiate for the working class, but at least he talks about the things they are concerned with and in ways that they recognize as authentic.

Dunno about you, but most working class I know are deeply religious and fairly conservative in what language they use, how they use it, and where they use it. (Language in the Shop, vs Language in Church, vs language in Public)

I don't think they recognize anything he says as authentic. 
Rather I think they merely tolerate him because they feel everything he's doing is Trolling the left, so they just laugh at all the angry libtards and say #somuchwinning.

Edited by SinisterDeath

"Rather I think they merely tolerate him because they feel everything he's doing is Trolling the left, so they just laugh at all the angry libtards and say #somuchwinning."

I think that there is much wisdom in your thoughts, Young One.

"Dunno about you, but most working class I know are deeply religious and fairly conservative in what language they use, how they use it, and where they use it. (Language in the Shop, vs Language in Church, vs language in Public)"

I think that most working class people are somewhat religious, deeply religious is a strectch. As for them distingusihing what language they use on setting, I agree, which makes their reaction to Trump's speech close to how you describe it, Trump trolls those who make no distinctions and would simply outlaw any speech that offends them in any way.

I think that there is much wisdom in your thoughts, Young One.

Easy to pick up on that kind of stuff when you're surrounded by Trump voters. :wink:

I think that most working class people are somewhat religious, deeply religious is a strectch.

Probably depends on the area TBH.

Here, I'd say deeply religious.

Like, pray at Restaurants religious.

Like, actively avoid video games, tv, or books that deal with magic in them religious.

As for them distingusihing what language they use on setting, I agree, which makes their reaction to Trump's speech close to how you describe it, Trump trolls those who make no distinctions and would simply outlaw any speech that offends them in any way.

I can definitely agree on that, that's one of the reasons he actually has the support of many Comedians whom can't stand SJW's and any other kind of limits on speech... Which causes much Infighting since many comedians are traditionally liberal. (Re: the rise of Amy Schumer in Hollywood, even though she sucks as a comedian)

From my perspective of not being Democrat or Republican, I enjoy pointing out hypocrites on both sides of the fence, often playing devil's advocate.

I tend to see each side wanting to ban language/ideas they don't agree with, but neither side admitting they do the same thing... This isn't so much a "What aboutism" as it is, "same shit different asshole".

"Probably depends on the area TBH.

Here, I'd say deeply religious.

Like, pray at Restaurants religious.

Like, actively avoid video games, tv, or books that deal with magic in them religious."

Where I live and have lived most of the working class people tend to Catholic but not hardcore church goers or the type that pray publicly. In Florida I also encountered a good number of evangelical and born again christians but most were not the "fundamentalist" variety although more outwardly religious then the average person who identified themselves as Catholic.

"From my perspective of not being Democrat or Republican, I enjoy pointing out hypocrites on both sides of the fence, often playing devil's advocate.

I tend to see each side wanting to ban language/ideas they don't agree with, but neither side admitting they do the same thing... This isn't so much a "What aboutism" as it is, "same shit different asshole".

If you look at the last 25 years or so I think you will find that most conservatives are much more willing to allow people to express  divergent views. Of course their are exceptions such as the Kneeling at NFL games, but that is an exception and even then many Republicans make the distinction of disliking someone for their views and attempting to use the law to quite them. It's one of the reason that the vast majority of the Interlectual Dark Web membership are card carrying liberals but have broken with the conventional SJW led left. Why these same people are received in conservative circles even though they have many ideas we fundamentally disagree with. Our disagreements may reach core issues but we do not see each other as outside the acceptable political dialogue.

7 hours ago, CUBAREY said:

Where I live and have lived most of the working class people tend to Catholic but not hardcore church goers or the type that pray publicly.

Well that's why!

Catholics can be notoriously bad at being religious...

They produce more atheists and non-theists than pretty much any religion! :wink:

In Florida I also encountered a good number of evangelical and born again christians but most were not the "fundamentalist" variety although more outwardly religious then the average person who identified themselves as Catholic.

Evangelical kind of started down in that general region. (The south)

It's kind of making it's way across the whole nation, even up north here. Though we also have a bunch of 7th day Adventists out of nowhere...

If you look at the last 25 years or so I think you will find that most conservatives are much more willing to allow people to express  divergent views.

Maybe? Those I've encountered IRL tend to want to ban books, ban certain speech, etc.

Of course their are exceptions such as the Kneeling at NFL games, but that is an exception and even then many Republicans make the distinction of disliking someone for their views and attempting to use the law to quite them.

See, I've seen several that talk about criminalizing things like that. Not necessarily here at DM but IRL Which is something I'd say goes beyond just disliking someone and wanting laws/policy to punish people that do that.

I've also seen/heard many talk about rounding up all protesters (peaceful legal ones) and putting them in jail.

It's one of the reason that the vast majority of the Interlectual Dark Web membership are card carrying liberals but have broken with the conventional SJW led left.

I don't explore the Dark Web... unless anything that's not Facebook/Twitter is considered dark web.

You're probably finding that some older-internet using liberals (Millennial/generation X) are just getting more conservative with age, as is normal.. They are probably now classified as Libertarians.

Intellectual Dark Web is not the Dark Web.

It's a cute name some people with alternative platforms have given themselves to make them sound a bit more edgy and intelligent.

In reality they are basically just The National Review but on YouTube. A bunch of liberals and a few milquetoast conservatives who are determined to gatekeep and oust anyone edgier than Steven Crowder.

18 hours ago, CUBAREY said:

I wasn't using income as a standard, I was using common and relatable life experinces. No one could relate to Trump because their parents used ... questionable legal means ... to make them millionaires by 5th grade.

People related to him by feeling exculed from a society they felt - and were told - that they belong. They identified because, unlike them who were powerless, he actually fought by to try to be included in the society he thought he belonged. 

The generic story of going to college, getting laid off in a professional career, and starting your own business is a modern retelling of the classic american tale. 

That's what I was getting at; not comparative studies of mean incomes. I stopped reading those when I was driving home litterally from one of my first days on the job after college and heard a news report that I was making around 25% over the average income for a family of 4, because I was definitely aware that i was being paid on the very low end of my expected window and living in an apartment which, at the time, reflected that. 

"I don't explore the Dark Web... unless anything that's not Facebook/Twitter is considered dark web."

I was referring to the Intellectual Dark Web, i.e. the group of  educated, soft speaking intellectuals that are although anathema to the Snowflakes and intersectionalists  are known for their ability to focus on policy and positions and do not use Ad Hommenum attacks. The cited webpage names most of them and lists their credentials. http://intellectualdark.website/   This is a loose association of people with divergent views on many things but who are willing to discuss almost any topic with anyone who is willing to have a civil discourse. An interesting fact is that most of them would describe themselves as Agnostic, Skeptics or Atheist but others range from Orthodox Jew, to loosely christian to reformist Muslim. 

9 hours ago, Tyzack said:

I wasn't using income as a standard, I was using common and relatable life experinces. No one could relate to Trump because their parents used ... questionable legal means ... to make them millionaires by 5th grade.

People related to him by feeling exculed from a society they felt - and were told - that they belong. They identified because, unlike them who were powerless, he actually fought by to try to be included in the society he thought he belonged. 

The generic story of going to college, getting laid off in a professional career, and starting your own business is a modern retelling of the classic american tale. 

That's what I was getting at; not comparative studies of mean incomes. I stopped reading those when I was driving home litterally from one of my first days on the job after college and heard a news report that I was making around 25% over the average income for a family of 4, because I was definitely aware that i was being paid on the very low end of my expected window and living in an apartment which, at the time, reflected that. 

Be that as it may, it does not explain why any working class person would identify with Hellenkupper. He is a Main Liner, and had the wherewithall to start a brewery after being "laid off" from his professional job. Most working class people who get laid off find themselves unable to get any job for a rather long time especially if you are talking of the last 30 years.  

Also your candidate does not work as a Horatio Alger Type, that means coming from nothing and raising yourself from the boat straps not being born in an exclusive area, going to high quality schools (likely on his parents dime) them to a professional positon which you get laid off but you have the economic ability to start a brewery (which is not a mom and pop business that you can start on a couple of thousand dollars).

13 hours ago, Nolder said:

Intellectual Dark Web is not the Dark Web.

It's a cute name some people with alternative platforms have given themselves to make them sound a bit more edgy and intelligent.

In reality they are basically just The National Review but on YouTube. A bunch of liberals and a few milquetoast conservatives who are determined to gatekeep and oust anyone edgier than Steven Crowder.

Just because they can speak in multi-syllables, pass the 8th grade and believe that everyone should be heard does not make them part of the National Review. The only two that might be considered National Review material would be Douglas Murray and Ben Shapiro ( but as Shapiro is from California, a Jew and a lawyer I see how you might consider ill of him, or is it that he does not geneflect at every picture of Trump that is put in front of him that you dislike? Also the only one's they tend to exclude from the group are White nationalists, which of course is your real gripe.

9 hours ago, CUBAREY said:

Just because they can speak in multi-syllables, pass the 8th grade and believe that everyone should be heard does not make them part of the National Review.

I mean that they want to be the next NR not that they are literally part of it.

The only two that might be considered National Review material would be Douglas Murray and Ben Shapiro ( but as Shapiro is from California, a Jew and a lawyer I see how you might consider ill of him,

Wtf are you talking about?

or is it that he does not geneflect at every picture of Trump that is put in front of him that you dislike?

I dont like Ben because he's a two faced lying sell out.

It has nothing to do with California, his Jewishness, or his being a lawyer.

I don't know where you got the impression that I dislike 2/3 of those things.

It's true though that unfortunately many people from California are awful and in a general sense I dislike them. I'm not going to automatically dislike someone from there though.

Also the only one's they tend to exclude from the group are White nationalists, which of course is your real gripe.

Ok that's the last time you accuse me of something like this without any sort of reason or proof. Holy shit he doesn't like Ben Shapiro he must be a Nazi! 

I'm telling you right now the next time you accuse me of something like this you better have a picture of me seig heiling with a tiki torch in hand or some other form of proof for such a statement. If you don't I'm going to make an issue of it with mods and/or admins. This is the one time I'm going to ask. Please stop.

13 hours ago, CUBAREY said:

Also your candidate does not work as a Horatio Alger Type, that means coming from nothing and raising yourself from the boat straps not being born in an exclusive area, going to high quality schools (likely on his parents dime) them to a professional positon which you get laid off but you have the economic ability to start a brewery (which is not a mom and pop business that you can start on a couple of thousand dollars).

1.) Ever since AP in high school I've always seen the Horatio Alger sterotype as almost a propoganda level bs. 

2.) Starting a brewery isn't easy. It's relatively easy to get a loan for it yes - but that's because the equipment needed is resuable and not that expensive. The WSJ did a story on this like 8 years ago when "micro breweries" first emeraged as a growing trend.  However, running a successful brewery isn't easy. 

... I mean I should say "at scale" and "depending on what you brew, where you are, and what your distribution model is"

Edited by Tyzack

Re: Biden

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bidens-leading-the-iowa-polls-but-that-doesnt-mean-much-yet/

But according to FiveThirtyEight’s database of Iowa polls,4 most candidates who polled at roughly 30 percent more than one year before the caucuses have not won the caucuses or the nomination. From 1980 to 2016, eight different candidates hit the 30 percent mark in a survey taken at least one year out. Only three went on to win the Iowa caucuses: Walter Mondale in 1984, Bob Dole in 1988 and Clinton in 2016. Mondale and Clinton later won their party’s nomination, but Dole came up short against George H.W. Bush.

And some candidates polling at 30 percent or more withdrew or didn’t end up running. For instance, Gary Hart was the front-runner for the 1988 Democratic nomination and two surveys more than a year out found him polling in the high 50s, but after Hart got caught in an extramarital affair, he dropped out of the race. About a month after the Supreme Court ruled in Bush v. Gore to decide the 2000 election, a poll looking at the 2004 Iowa caucuses found Gore at 39 percent. Gore decided against another bid in late 2002.

Three others ran but failed to win the Iowa caucuses or their party’s nomination in the 2008 cycle. Clinton and John Edwards each hit the 30 percent mark in at least one poll more than a year out but both lost to Obama in Iowa. Meanwhile, Rudy Giuliani polled at 30 percent once but skipped the caucuses, instead opting for a Florida-first campaign strategy that completely failed.

14 hours ago, CUBAREY said:

"I don't explore the Dark Web... unless anything that's not Facebook/Twitter is considered dark web."

I was referring to the Intellectual Dark Web, i.e. the group of  educated, soft speaking intellectuals that are although anathema to the Snowflakes and intersectionalists  are known for their ability to focus on policy and positions and do not use Ad Hommenum attacks. The cited webpage names most of them and lists their credentials. http://intellectualdark.website/   This is a loose association of people with divergent views on many things but who are willing to discuss almost any topic with anyone who is willing to have a civil discourse. An interesting fact is that most of them would describe themselves as Agnostic, Skeptics or Atheist but others range from Orthodox Jew, to loosely christian to reformist Muslim. 

As you well know I listen to the Joe Rogan podcast... a lot... so I've probably seen several of these people on their before.

That said, Jordan Peterson is... questionably intellectual. He's like one of those guys that gets into quack science but can pass it off as legit because he's smarter then you.

One of the things he's been called out before on, is defending his various arguments by saying something like "Go read this whole book". And when questioned directly about said book, he falls back on something like "well I forget where, but It's definitely in a book I read once". Or something like that.

And if I go by anything his Daughter said during her time on the Joe Rogan podcast, Peterson is definitely suffering from some kind of Insomnia, and that can mess with your memory big time.

Ben Shapiro... I'm not a big fan. Maybe I need to listen to him more, but I only figure it's because I don't like the way he talks. There are just some people that don't jive when they hear/see each other.

In Lawyer terms during disclosure, it's like when another law firm attempts to overwhelm you by sending you 150 boxes full of documents filed with no system known to man. 

When Shapiro does it during his arguments, he does it because some people... like Joe Rogan will just take his word for it. Others, well if you do argue something you disagree with, he'll throws it out but tosses another 50 arguments your way. Inundating you with rhetoric & arguments that you just don't have time to process before getting to the next topic. 

If Shapiro slooows the hell down, maybe i'll be more willing to listen to him?