Jump to content

DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
WWWwombat

Who should/will the Dems run in 2020?

Recommended Posts

On 4/30/2019 at 1:09 PM, Tyzack said:

 

Campaigns are expensive. It's not unreasonable to judge a candidate success by how much money they raise; note that the criteria weigh acctual amount and total number of unqiue donnors equally.

Except of course if that was true then the 2016 general election would have been Jeb Bush v, HRC.  Indeed if you look at those that were best at fund raisisng among the 2016 Republican Preisdential hopefuls almost none of them ever polled very well. Indeed, it was not only Trump but Ben Carson and others who were at best mediocre at fund raising at this stage of the campagin that got the attention and votes of the primary voters.

 

So I would suggest that in a tight field of 2-4 candidates your comment may in fact have some validity in a scenerio where their are well over a dozen possible candidates ability to fund raise at this stage is much less important then having gotten the attention of the voter pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 10:41 AM, Lenlo said:

Ha! Its true.

 

Personally I dont think age matters, beyond how it effects their policies. Just physical health. Sanders is old but I would wager he is more physically fit and healthy than Trump. He made a big point of pushing his doctors reports during his campaign in 2016.

Biden or Sanders should have Obama as their VP.
This will scare the Republicans into believing Obama is secretly plotting to become president again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

Biden or Sanders should have Obama as their VP.
This will scare the Republicans into believing Obama is secretly plotting to become president again.

He cant though. The 12th Amendment says "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States". Since he ran 2 terms, hes not eligible for presidency, so I think hes out for this one to.

 

I also doubt he would ever want to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2019 at 9:49 PM, Lenlo said:

He cant though. The 12th Amendment says "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States". Since he ran 2 terms, hes not eligible for presidency, so I think hes out for this one to.

 

I also doubt he would ever want to.

Huh I missed that part..

It would have been a fine troll attempt at messing with Republicans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2019 at 9:49 PM, Lenlo said:

He cant though. The 12th Amendment says "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States". Since he ran 2 terms, hes not eligible for presidency, so I think hes out for this one to.

 

I also doubt he would ever want to.

The argument I have seen is that the 22nd Amendment only makes it impossible for him to be elected President again.  It does not actually render him ineligible to be President, so in theory he could be a Vice President as that is not being elected to President.  I myself, find the argument to be weak, but it does also point out that maybe we need to be much more careful in how we word things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Drakkon said:

The argument I have seen is that the 22nd Amendment only makes it impossible for him to be elected President again.  It does not actually render him ineligible to be President, so in theory he could be a Vice President as that is not being elected to President.  I myself, find the argument to be weak, but it does also point out that maybe we need to be much more careful in how we word things.

That's the argument I remember hearing about it. 

 

I'd just find it hilarious if Joe Biden ran for 1 term with Obama as VP, and then not run for Re-election and then step aside, and let Obama take the role.

Then the next Democrat president does the same.
This would cause a huge number of Aneurysms among the Republicans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 7:30 AM, SinisterDeath said:

That's the argument I remember hearing about it. 

 

I'd just find it hilarious if Joe Biden ran for 1 term with Obama as VP, and then not run for Re-election and then step aside, and let Obama take the role.

Then the next Democrat president does the same.
This would cause a huge number of Aneurysms among the Republicans.

 

 

Might want to look at the actual language of the 22nd Amendment.

 

:No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term."

 

 

So Obama would be ineligible to become President and even if he could become VP could never become President again. 

 

AS the VP he would be the preciding officer in the Senate and able to cast a vote if the senate was deadlocked 50/50. Any other powers he holds or influence he has is really dependant on what the President wants him to have. Most Vice President's have hand little or no power or influence in the Administration.  Indeed, it was only under the Carter Administration that the VP first became a "political player" with the two most active VP's likely being Bush 1 under Reagan and Chaney under Bush II.

 

I think that since who controls the House can easily change from by-election to by-election and the Speaker of the House automaticly becomes President if the President becomes incapaciated and the Vice President is unable to take on the powers of the Presidency no one  in the Democratic Party would be willing to "troll" the Republicans by nominating Obama as VP less a Republican or Pelosi would become President if Biden could not serve out his term.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2019 at 11:56 AM, SinisterDeath said:

Biden or Sanders should have Obama as their VP.
This will scare the Republicans into believing Obama is secretly plotting to become president again.

Just nominate Michelle instead as your nominee. That would give you the Trifecta of having a Female, a Balack and an Obama as President.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, CUBAREY said:

Just nominate Michelle instead as your nominee. That would give you the Trifecta of having a Female, a Balack and an Obama as President.

Well at that point, why not just have Michelle run as President, making Obama the First-Man, and Biden as the VP again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

Well at that point, why not just have Michelle run as President, making Obama the First-Man, and Biden as the VP again?

Because Biden as the VP is not likely to bring back the working class white vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CUBAREY said:

Because Biden as the VP is not likely to bring back the working class white vote.

They claim he's going to bring that vote, but will he really?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

They claim he's going to bring that vote, but will he really?

He is the only one running the the Democrat Party that is even attempting to reach that subgroup and without them Democrats have to depend on record numbers of all their other constitutencies coming out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2019 at 12:31 AM, Nolder said:

Does anyone have any recent polling from PA?

Last poll in PA seems to be the Quinnipiac Poll of 5/9-5/14 that had Biden with 39% support Sanders with 13%, Warren and Harris each with 8%.  This is the Rea ClearPolitics aggragatePoll which includes three polls going back to the end of March. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/pa/pennsylvania_democratic_presidential_primary-6860.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of the polls included Trump?

I want to get an idea of how Trump is doing vs Biden in PA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nolder said:

None of the polls included Trump?

I want to get an idea of how Trump is doing vs Biden in PA.

Noone is doing that type of poll at present. It should be noted that Biden has always been popular in Northeast PA, Lehigh- Allentown-Bethleham area which  are the old steel mill towns that swung 20% -40% between the 2012 and 2016 elections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 4:11 AM, Nolder said:

Why not?

Cost for one. Also it would destroy the very cncept that 90% of the Democratic candidates have any realistic chance. The media makes money covering the primary as a horse race, to suggest that almost theneitrie field is filled with nags would be counterproductive.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting to feel bad for Democrats. Joe Biden is a hill no party should have to die on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...