DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
SinisterDeath

House Resolution #1 (2019)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/house-democrats-1st-bill-targets-big-donors-voting-access/2018/11/30/8562c098-f48f-11e8-99c2-cfca6fcf610c_story.html

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/11/30/18118158/house-democrats-anti-corruption-bill-hr-1-pelosi

Vox listed these as goals of the bill.

Campaign finance

• Public financing of campaigns, powered by small donations. Under Sarbanes’s vision, the federal government would provide a voluntary 6-1 match for candidates for president and Congress, which means for every dollar a candidate raises from small donations, the federal government would match it six times over. “If you give $100 to a candidate that’s meeting those requirements, then that candidate would get another $600 coming in behind them,” Sarbanes told Vox this summer. “The evidence and the modeling is that most candidates can do as well or better in terms of the dollars they raise if they step into this new system.”
  • Passing the DISCLOSE Act, pushed by Rep. David Cicilline (RI) and Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (RI), both Democrats from Rhode Island. This would require Super PACs and “dark money” political organizations to make their donors public.
  • Passing the Honest Ads Act, championed by Sens. Amy Klobuchar (MN) and Mark Warner (VA), which would require Facebook and Twitter to disclose the source of money of political ads on their platforms, and share how much money was spent.

Ethics

• Requiring the president to disclose his or her tax returns.
  • Stopping members of Congress from using taxpayer money to settle sexual harassment cases or buy first-class plane tickets.
  • Giving the Office of Government Ethics the power to do more oversight and enforcement and put in stricter lobbying registration requirements.
  • Create a new ethical code for the US Supreme Court, ensuring all branches of government are impacted by the new law.

Voting rights

• Creating new national automatic voter registration that asks voters to opt out, rather than opt in, ensuring more people will be signed up to vote. Early voting and online voter registration would also be promoted.
  • Restoring the Voting Rights Act, part of which was dismantled by a US Supreme Court decision in 2013. Ending partisan gerrymandering in federal elections and prohibiting voter roll purging.
  • Beefing up elections security, including requiring the Director of National Intelligence to do regular checks on foreign threats.

which means for every dollar a candidate raises from small donations, the federal government would match it six times over. “If you give $100 to a candidate that’s meeting those requirements, then that candidate would get another $600 coming in behind them,” 

I love this from a 3rd party perspective. Those guys need as much money as they can get to even hope to compete with the big boys.

Passing the DISCLOSE Act, pushed by Rep. David Cicilline (RI) and Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (RI), both Democrats from Rhode Island. This would require Super PACs and “dark money” political organizations to make their donors public.

Passing the Honest Ads Act, championed by Sens. Amy Klobuchar (MN) and Mark Warner (VA), which would require Facebook and Twitter to disclose the source of money of political ads on their platforms, and share how much money was spent.

I don't know the specific details of those acts, but I see no reason to not support this. Given all the crap Facebook & Twitter's been up to, I can see this getting bi-partisan support.... or at least public support from joe schmo democrat/republican.

Requiring the president to disclose his or her tax returns.

Yea... how about we just take that out of this bill if you want to give it a chance to pass?

Stopping members of Congress from using taxpayer money to settle sexual harassment cases or buy first-class plane tickets.

How.. are they going to stop this?

Or are we going to actually... you know. Audit these guys instead of just giving them a free-pass on business expenses?

First-Class tickets? What if they pay the difference? What if, and it happens, they can buy a first class cheaper than not-first class?

What if First Class is the only seat available and they have to take that flight?

Giving the Office of Government Ethics the power to do more oversight and enforcement and put in stricter lobbying registration requirements.

So... Pelosi wants to give the OGE more oversight/enforcement to a position granted by the President? That she sees as corrupt?

Well at least that might get republican support...

To put it another way.

Who's overseeing the OGE? 

image.jpeg.0afc5550bfc9051279f7e9bfd6caab70.jpeg

Create a new ethical code for the US Supreme Court, ensuring all branches of government are impacted by the new law.

That is... very vague. 

Creating new national automatic voter registration that asks voters to opt out, rather than opt in, ensuring more people will be signed up to vote. Early voting and online voter registration would also be promoted.

Not against this really. I just hope this includes mailings that remind voters of upcoming votes, times/dates/locations.
This can easily be done when you get a license/update it.

Restoring the Voting Rights Act, part of which was dismantled by a US Supreme Court decision in 2013. Ending partisan gerrymandering in federal elections and prohibiting voter roll purging.

Well, redistricting has to happen, so how do we do it in a way that is unbiased?

And voter roll purging needs to happen from time to time.

Are they really just trying to get republicans mad and claim dead-voters again?

Beefing up elections security, including requiring the Director of National Intelligence to do regular checks on foreign threats.

You tack on voter-ID laws, and you'll get a ton of republican support for just this.

If you nail people from both sides with this, you'll get the support of the American People... specially if both Clinton & Trump get nailed hard.

I mean we can stipulate that this bill isn't going anywhere; its roughly analogous to the 40-some-odd times the House voted to repeal the Affordable Care Act...

Anyway...

3 minutes ago, Tyzack said:

I mean we can stipulate that this bill isn't going anywhere; its roughly analogous to the 40-some-odd times the House voted to repeal the Affordable Care Act...

Anyway...

Pretty much yea.

Still though, there are sections that I think they could pass, if they broke it up, instead of trying to hamfist everything together.

I meant to go into detail, but the quoting system's annoyning.

Wait a second.

28 minutes ago, Tyzack said:

I meant to go into detail, but the quoting system's annoyning.

Wait a second.

Image result for dial up meme

Seriously though, quoting is easy as using your blinker while driving.

Just highlight the text you want to quote, and click 'quote selection'.

If that doesn't work, you can manually place a quote box, and place text in it.

Moving quote boxes is a pain. But if you type text below a quote, you can move it with the little square + on the quote box.

3 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

which means for every dollar a candidate raises from small donations, the federal government would match it six times over. “If you give $100 to a candidate that’s meeting those requirements, then that candidate would get another $600 coming in behind them,” 

I love this from a 3rd party perspective. Those guys need as much money as they can get to even hope to compete with the big boys.

Passing the DISCLOSE Act, pushed by Rep. David Cicilline (RI) and Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (RI), both Democrats from Rhode Island. This would require Super PACs and “dark money” political organizations to make their donors public.

Passing the Honest Ads Act, championed by Sens. Amy Klobuchar (MN) and Mark Warner (VA), which would require Facebook and Twitter to disclose the source of money of political ads on their platforms, and share how much money was spent.

I don't know the specific details of those acts, but I see no reason to not support this. Given all the crap Facebook & Twitter's been up to, I can see this getting bi-partisan support.... or at least public support from joe schmo democrat/republican.

Requiring the president to disclose his or her tax returns.

Yea... how about we just take that out of this bill if you want to give it a chance to pass?

Stopping members of Congress from using taxpayer money to settle sexual harassment cases or buy first-class plane tickets.

How.. are they going to stop this?

Or are we going to actually... you know. Audit these guys instead of just giving them a free-pass on business expenses?

First-Class tickets? What if they pay the difference? What if, and it happens, they can buy a first class cheaper than not-first class?

What if First Class is the only seat available and they have to take that flight?

Giving the Office of Government Ethics the power to do more oversight and enforcement and put in stricter lobbying registration requirements.

So... Pelosi wants to give the OGE more oversight/enforcement to a position granted by the President? That she sees as corrupt?

Well at least that might get republican support...

To put it another way.

Who's overseeing the OGE? 

image.jpeg.0afc5550bfc9051279f7e9bfd6caab70.jpeg

Create a new ethical code for the US Supreme Court, ensuring all branches of government are impacted by the new law.

That is... very vague. 

Creating new national automatic voter registration that asks voters to opt out, rather than opt in, ensuring more people will be signed up to vote. Early voting and online voter registration would also be promoted.

Not against this really. I just hope this includes mailings that remind voters of upcoming votes, times/dates/locations.
This can easily be done when you get a license/update it.

Restoring the Voting Rights Act, part of which was dismantled by a US Supreme Court decision in 2013. Ending partisan gerrymandering in federal elections and prohibiting voter roll purging.

Well, redistricting has to happen, so how do we do it in a way that is unbiased?

And voter roll purging needs to happen from time to time.

Are they really just trying to get republicans mad and claim dead-voters again?

Beefing up elections security, including requiring the Director of National Intelligence to do regular checks on foreign threats.

You tack on voter-ID laws, and you'll get a ton of republican support for just this.

If you nail people from both sides with this, you'll get the support of the American People... specially if both Clinton & Trump get nailed hard.

Section 1: Public campaign reform-

I agree with all of this. It is needed. 

Section 2: Disclosure of personal finacial assest of public figures

I'm all for this. While privacy is important, so is disclosure (and trust) in public figures. 

Section 3: Generic reform

I'm also for this; there's no punishment if people aren't paying themselves. As for plane tickets; if they are being flown on money, if they're paying for themselves, whatever.

Section 4: Court ethics

There are two people on the supreme court who have been credibly accused of sexual harrassment, and currently the office of government ethics doesn't have much power; it sends reports to congress. I guess this works in a system where congress takes ethics/itself seriously. The idea behind giving OGE stronger powers is that congress has abdicated it's oversight responsibilty.

Section 5: Auto-registration (and de-registration),  reinstatement of the Voting Rights Act, and election security.

I'm for this. The government knows when you are born, how old you are, and when you die. That's really the only information it needs to control voting. 

Section 6: Quoting

It still sucks on mobile.

2 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

Image result for dial up meme

The DJ at the company party last night kind of veered into this at times.

"credibly accused", if that were true dont you think it would have been hashed out during the appointment process?

Your just gonna keep beating the Kavanough horse huh?

2 minutes ago, Lenlo said:

"credibly accused", if that were true dont you think it would have been hashed out during the appointment process?

Your just gonna keep beating the Kavanough horse huh?

I can say with 100% confidence that i never did anything which could have been construed as sexual assault. 

It isn't that high of a bar to clear.

"Public financing of campaigns, powered by small donations. Under Sarbanes’s vision, the federal government would provide a voluntary 6-1 match for candidates for president and Congress, which means for every dollar a candidate raises from small donations, the federal government would match it six times over. “If you give $100 to a candidate that’s meeting those requirements, then that candidate would get another $600 coming in behind them,” Sarbanes told Vox this summer. “The evidence and the modeling is that most candidates can do as well or better in terms of the dollars they raise if they step into this new system.”

Whats the limits, how does one opt in or opt out of the program. Also very importantly what are the limits to government contribution? In reality this really does not help third parties. Most third party donations are by a small group of people that give a relative large amount. If you can only accept donations of $100 or less then both the Republican and Dmeocratic parties can make this work for them as they can more easily structure donations to individual candiates to meet the $100 dollar limit. Also, I think the effort is misuguided both Republican and Democratic candidates could easily raise thusands of donations of $100 or less and thus be eligible for the 6-1 government matching funds parts. Also would candidates still be allowed to contribute without limitation their own money and if not how does this not violate current Suprem Court Holdings?

"Passing the DISCLOSE Act, pushed by Rep. David Cicilline (RI) and Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (RI), both Democrats from Rhode Island. This would require Super PACs and “dark money” political organizations to make their donors public.

Passing the Honest Ads Act, championed by Sens. Amy Klobuchar (MN) and Mark Warner (VA), which would require Facebook and Twitter to disclose the source of money of political ads on their platforms, and share how much money was spent."

I have no serious problems wiot this provisions except that they are not inclusive enough. the Disclosure Act should require all none individuals to disclose the donor list for any money they raise for political efforts. The concept of "dark money political organiziations" can be and is easily manipulated to cover some organizations and not others for partisan reasons. Let's require everyone to disclose their donor list and the amounts they spend on supporting or opposing specific candidates and measures.

The Honest Ads Act is well intentioned but I see no rational bases to limit its's applicaiton to Facebook and Twittter, make all media of whatever type required to list the soucre of any and all of the political adds posted, aired or included in their given medium and require all of them to disclose the amounts each organization spent.

"Requiring the president to disclose his or her tax returns."

It's a non-starter include it only if you want the bill dead on arrival.

"Stopping members of Congress from using taxpayer money to settle sexual harassment cases or buy first-class plane tickets."

First is doable and correct (as long as Congrressmen and Senators can use their salaries to pay for such cases) the second is misguided and rather unworkable as others have noted.

"Create a new ethical code for the US Supreme Court, ensuring all branches of government are impacted by the new law."

The Federal Courts including the Supreme Court are already subject to a highly visible and well thought out ehtical code and and attempt to have Congress impose a different ethical code likely runs afoul of the Seperation of Powers and the independence of the Judiciary clauses of the Constitution.

"Creating new national automatic voter registration that asks voters to opt out, rather than opt in, ensuring more people will be signed up to vote. Early voting and online voter registration would also be promoted."

Likely violates constitutional provisions that give the authority to regulate actual elections (and the registration process) to the individual states.  Also what is the mechanism for opting in or out? In the present you opt in when you either register seperately or check the box when getting or renewing a drivers license. In what process will this opt in mechaninsm be inhoused and do you still not need to insure that citizens are the only ones who will be registeres under this scheme?

"Restoring the Voting Rights Act, part of which was dismantled by a US Supreme Court decision in 2013. Ending partisan gerrymandering in federal elections and prohibiting voter roll purging."

Good luck trying to get that passed. UJnless of course you will apply the requirements to all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Frankly today efforts to unconstitutionally limit the vote if actually occuring as are likely to being taking place in New England, the West, etc. then in SOuthrern states.

"There are two people on the supreme court who have been credibly accused of sexual harrassment, and currently the office of government ethics doesn't have much power; it sends reports to congress. I guess this works in a system where congress takes ethics/itself seriously. The idea behind giving OGE stronger powers is that congress has abdicated it's oversight responsibilty."

Both claims are highly questionable and tainted by poltical considerations. The Constitutions already provides Congress with the ability to discipline judges through the impeachment process. Any scheme or regulatroy process that is not the Impeachment Process detailed in the Constitution seriously infinges on the indepence of the Judiciary and would almost definately be deemed as violating specific parts of the Constitution. Congress can not hand over it's limtited oversight responsibilities of the Courts to an Execative or Indpendent agency. It's simply unconstitutional.

58 minutes ago, Tyzack said:

I can say with 100% confidence that i never did anything which could have been construed as sexual assault. 

It isn't that high of a bar to clear.

So have I. So have most men. But there is a pretty wide berth between "could have been construed as" and "credibly accused".

32 minutes ago, Lenlo said:

So have I. So have most men. But there is a pretty wide berth between "could have been construed as" and "credibly accused".

TBH I don’t understand your support of beerface 

2 hours ago, CUBAREY said:

It's a non-starter include it only if you want the bill dead on arrival.

The only benefit I see from this... at all. Is if this ever becomes bi-partisan, that's the first thing that gets the chopping block.

First is doable and correct (as long as Congrressmen and Senators can use their salaries to pay for such cases) the second is misguided and rather unworkable as others have noted.

That's one of the obvious problems I thought of is.. do you include their salary as public money.. or not?

Personally, I don't think I'd define a paycheck as public money.

Some kind of spending account? I'd call that public money.

Likely violates constitutional provisions that give the authority to regulate actual elections (and the registration process) to the individual states.  Also what is the mechanism for opting in or out?

Couldn't that section of the act be a mandate that each state has X amount of time to meet the guidelines/minimums set by said act?

In the present you opt in when you either register seperately or check the box when getting or renewing a drivers license. In what process will this opt in mechaninsm be inhoused and do you still not need to insure that citizens are the only ones who will be registeres under this scheme?

State ID/Driver's license real ID law is supposed to require more information effectively proving you are a citizen. So tying it to the Real ID system/drivers license/state ID.  (which you are required to have for even traveling inside the US. Except if your from Minnesota.)

The main problem is, you only need to renew your Driver's License what.. every 4-6 years? Maybe more? Or every time you have a new address.

1 hour ago, Tyzack said:

I had a co-worker that I can only explain as politically confused.
He sided with many liberal/democrat issues, despised trump/disagreed with most Republicans issues. But he wasn't Democrat or Libertarian.

One of the issues he aligned with, with conservatives was on things like sexual assault and rape charges.

Guy still believes Cosby's innocent.

My hunch? I think he's guilty of something in his past, and doesn't want to support other's going down for something he might be guilty of.

Not saying that's whats going on with Lenlo's support of... beerface.

That's just the vibe I got from that co-worker.... Specially when said co-worker would declare things like 

"I don't care if Rebecca' Blacks "It's Friday" is a horrible song. Have you seen her today? She's hot! Got an amazing body! Would smash. 10/10"

1 hour ago, Tyzack said:

I dont support him. I think he will be a terrible justice, is not qualified, and I find his positions reprehensible.

But I also will not accept someone being falsely accused of Sexual Assault. Im not supporting Kavanough. Im arguing against the allegations. Its the old "I may not like what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

To answer SD, I have had friends in college falsely accused of Sexual Assault. If you search their names, even after being found innocent, it still comes up. That will follow them forever. And they did nothing wrong. I have seen what this does to someone's life. I don't care if Kavanough is PoS, I will not allow it to happen to him on principle.

"Couldn't that section of the act be a mandate that each state has X amount of time to meet the guidelines/minimums set by said act?"

The imposition of federal guidelines/minimums would itself violate the constitutional grant of power to the states to determine their own election process. The Federal government can only really step in if the state process violates constituional norms.

8 hours ago, Tyzack said:

That's Justice Beerface to you. 😎

On that note, I might have finally found a drink I enjoy. Honey Whiskey isn't half bad, for alcohol. 

1 hour ago, Lenlo said:

https://wildturkeybourbon.com/product/wild-turkey-american-honey/

I do not know alcohol, dont ask me for details. I just know I did 12 shots of this last Saturday and it wasn't bad.

Not much one for shots.

But I do love me some Amaretto in Coffee. 😆

Edited by SinisterDeath

4 hours ago, Lenlo said:

On that note, I might have finally found a drink I enjoy. Honey Whiskey isn't half bad, for alcohol. 

I fear for your liver. I discovered it when I was your age...then a week ski trip later and I haven’t touched the stuff since.

3 hours ago, Tyzack said:

I fear for your liver. I discovered it when I was your age...then a week ski trip later and I haven’t touched the stuff since.

I didn't drink before hand, and probably won't drink much after. I dont buy any myself, so I am not to worried. I appreciate the concern though!

9 minutes ago, WWWwombat said:

U should try mead...

That's one I've always wanted to try. I did find a local honey wine which might technically be Mead, but it wasn't branded as Mead. Finding it locally isn't.. easy.