DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gray Ajah Thanksgiving- Thankfulness

Dar'Jen Ab Owain

I'm thankful for...

My family.

Being still employed. I've survived twelve layoffs in the last ten years.

Being in my right mind. (I hope. You'd let me know if I wasn't, right?)

Being born late enough to enjoy indoor plumbing, fast transportation, and the internet.

My friends, old and new.

I'm thankful for so very much this year in spite of the continuing frustration of rebuilding, dealing with insurance, etc.

I'm thankful that everyone in my family is safe.

I'm thankful my horses are safe and that we only lost 2 chickens to the hurricane.

I'm thankful that my family (us, my parents, and my sister) have homes to live in even if they aren't whole right now and that my parents survived the destruction of their home and had another home to move into, even though it means they can't sell it now until their home is rebuilt/repaired).

I'm thankful we have a new roof! They finished it yesterday. We were one of the lucky ones to get a roofer lined up so early; some people are being told it will be up to a year, potentially, to get their roofs done.

I'm thankful for running water and electricity (and no more trips to/from the pond hauling water for the horses, chickens, and toilets)!

I'm thankful that I will be able to go to my parents' home and cook Thanksgiving dinner for them! The turkey is thawing in the fridge, I have all the ingredients for squash casserole, and we have plenty of potatoes!  I do need to get some Red Lobster biscuit mix, though. I'm going to cheat with those this year!

I'm thankful for linemen that came from ALL over the United States to get our power grid repaired.

I'm thankful that the hardship we endured through this brought us closer together.

I'm thankful for the groups that came to the area and gave of their time, talents and treasures!  From food and water donations that poured in from all over, and the feed and hay that has been donated to horse owners in the affected area. It's going to be a tough winter for hay . . . but we'll make it somehow. We may have to buy alfalfa cubes and end up spending a small fortune on them but some way, some how we will manage!

I'm thankful that we are doing okay enough that we do not have to avail ourselves of the free items anymore so we can leave them for those who really do need them.

I'm thankful for my church for getting into the trenches of the community and helping to cut trees that blocked people into their homes, tarping damaged roofs, being able to see needs and provision them (food, water, toiletries, tents, clothing).

In short . . . I am just thankful and blessed!

No, not really! It's so easy to get caught up in the frustrations and being overwhelmed so it helps to take time to think about all the things I have to be thankful for. 

Last year, my list would have been much different.

I’m thankful that my oldest son came home yesterday from his surgery for thyroid cancer. It could be so much worse.

I’m thankful to be able to be with my oldest son out of state.

I’m thankful my youngest son is serving his community as a firefighter/EMT on Thanksgiving.

I’m thankful for my husband who is making a Thanksgiving dinner for the firefighters at the station. He is smoking a turkey and making all of the sides.

I'm thankful for all of my friends both human and animal.

• Elgee locked this topic