DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Was Masema insane?

TheSociopath

I think he started on the path of insanity the moment he found out Rand was the Dragon.  If you remember him in book 2 and 3 he was already very obsessed with Rand.  So it probably didn't take much of a push or compulsion to get him to go totally over the edge.  I think some of his decision might of been forsaken commanded, like his refusing to use a portal but then saying he would use a portal because he wanted to stay with Perin.  That seems like a forsaken manipulating him to stay close to Perin, probably to get Masema to murder Perin.

I did a quick look in the companion but I didn't see anywhere a confirmation on who was speaking to Masema.

That is Lanfear's markers though. She manipulates peoples minds by constantly disrupting their dreams and hence their sleep. These almost always triggered riots. That is mostly what she did in the AoL, though Moghedien was far more dangerous in this regard, just as Graendal was more dangerous in the mental battles. What I mean is that Masema's activities in Ghealdan point to Lanfear being behind them. It also happened before the FoH, since there were rumours of the Prophet and what he was doing in the FoH after Rand got to Cairhein. I also always thought that Lanfear had alot to do in TGH, just not sure if that included Masema. Could Verin have been ordered by Lanfear to do something? That does not make sense. The only way is if Lanfear did it in Ghealdan, using Masema's devotion to Rand against him.

Edited by wotfan4472

I have always thought gren simply because she was operating in that part of the world. she also was the one tasked to watch and kill Perin.  Masema was a nobody in TGH, even in TDR he would of been nobody the forsaken would of cared about.  Once he started gathering mobs and was clearly a bit mad could I see anyone seeing him being of any use.  The companion at least makes him sound mad and obsessive on his own, so a lot of his mob stuff was his own doing.  All a forsaken would of needed was a little guidance here and there.  Once Perin appeared is when he really gained use.

I did find this on a fan site" Masema planned to escape from Perrin and his army, and then return to kill Perrin as ordered by the "Dragon Reborn", actually one of the female Forsaken"  The fact he was ordered to kill Perin makes me think Gren and not Lanfear since she was helping Perin later.  While Gren was told to kill Perin.

Edited by Sabio

From a Q&A this is the only hint BS would give:

Matt Hatch

This has to do with the Luckers’ Shiny Dragon theory. Masema mentions having a vision, someone tells him to kill Perrin. So, my question, was the individual telling him to kill Perrin a male or female?

Brandon Sanderson

He saw a male.

Matt Hatch

He did, but was the individual a male or a female?

Brandon Sanderson

(Laughs appreciatively and pauses)

Yes, yes he was a male or a female.

Matt Hatch

(Laughs) Was the individual a male?

Brandon Sanderson

(Thoughtful, deep intake of breath, pause)

Matt Hatch

…as classically defined by his physical…(laughter)

Brandon Sanderson

(Says, yes I get what you are asking)…

Matt Hatch

...I’ll say it this way, does this individual have the soul of a man or a woman?

Brandon Sanderson

mmmhmm. (pauses looking up for a good twenty or thirty seconds)

Brandon Sanderson

Female.

Matt Hatch

Excellent.

20 hours ago, TheSociopath said:

In the intro to tGS, it's revealed that Masema had been manipulated by a forsaken. When did this start?

And to a lesser extent, does anyone disagree with me that it was Lanfear/Cyndane?

I will have to reread the intro of tGS, as I didn't get that Masema was being manipulated by a Forsaken.  I really thought that was a mad delusion of Masema's.  Do we have other evidence that Masema was being manipulated by the Forsaken in another book?

There is no smoking gun stating it, but the fact we know a forsaken was in touch with him does make it seem one might of been manipulating him at times.  The companion says Masema was possibly mad so seems likely he was just insane with a forsaken pushing him here and there when needed.  Being mad they wouldn't need to do much since he was creating alot of chaos all on his own.  The companion also states  BS confirmed the "Dragon Reborn" Masema saw was a female forsaken.  But he won't say which one.