DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Hurricane

Ryrin

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curfew for our county has been lifted! We don't have to worry about getting arrested if we're running late getting home . . .  Whew!

Not sure stores will be staying open any later, though.

22 hours ago, Daruya said:

Curfew for our county has been lifted! We don't have to worry about getting arrested if we're running late getting home . . .  Whew!

Not sure stores will be staying open any later, though.

Oh, my curfew! 

• 2 weeks later...

It's not sensational anymore so it's not newsworthy.  With a hurricane, it's more "one and done." And with the beach sustaining little damage compared to town (PC and PCB are not the same, although they are adjacent), the "world" thinks "Oh, PCB is doing fine" especially when they see the Tourist Development Council advertising "Everything is fine in PCB! Come on, tourists!"  

A group from my church is going on Saturday to a "tent city" to provide more tents (if needed), tarps, and pallets. The pallets can be used to raise the tents off the ground.  We've had constant rain all this week so the ground is very wet. Plus we had a cold front move in yesterday so it's cold, too. People are collecting warm clothing and blankets and trying to get them out to the people that need them.

On our own home front, the roofers have been getting our new roof on. I don't like these new shingles as much as our original ones but I imagine I'll get used to them. We are still waiting on the drywall to get installed so we can re-insulate the attic. We still need an electrician to rewire our well (currently has temporary wiring), and check our stove, and our wiring in the attic but overall we are in pretty good shape. I hope the electrician comes soon because we have few options for cooking without a stove, unless we use the grill. Since it's been raining all week, we haven't been able to do that, either. 

We were outside pretty late last night building a temporary shelter for our horses. It was cold and rainy and hubby's horse, who is 22 years old, was shivering.  So they have a PVC and tarp shelter now right next to their temporary paddock.

• 2 weeks later...

Insurance companies and mortgage companies . . . grrrrrr

The mortgage company has tied up (i.e., refused to release any of the funds provided by our insurance company for repairs of our house, even the completed repairs) because they have horribly inefficient processes. They got one of the issues fixed today (after 2+ weeks) but still maintain they are waiting on verification of our general contractor's W-9. I just checked the IRS website, and that can either be done via phone or their e-services portal. They've had his W-9 for 2-1/2 weeks . . . and they can't make a freaking phone call?  Or put his TIN in the e-services portal?  *headdesk*

In the meantime, the contractor is not going to do any more work on our house until he gets paid for what has been completed. What that means is that we are missing ceilings and insulation in 5 rooms and 2 hallways . . . and it's going to be cold tonight.

This is frustrating and exhausting and stressful. But every time I start getting riled up I have to remind myself that at least I have a house, as cold as it is.  There are so many people here that are still living in tents. https://www.mypanhandle.com/news/hurricane-michael-displaced-residents-living-in-tents-brace-for-cold-weather/1623043662

We picked out the flooring for the boys' rooms, I think. We're looking at the luxury vinyl plank (20-mil wear). NO MORE CARPET!!!!!

We bought a storage shed earlier this month that is supposed to be delivered this week. At least that will give us a little storage until we can get our pole barn replaced. According to the company that originally installed our barn, they're looking at April before they could get to us because they have so many lined up already.  I am looking to upgrade the pole barn roof to a heavier gauge metal, too; the 29-gauge just didn't cut it. I'd prefer 24-gauge but will have to settle for 26-gauge.

My horses are still stuck in the round pen. We can't build new fencing until we get all the debris cleared but we need professional help with that because there is a lot and we are a good way off the main road where pickup is mandated. And since the insurance company says our fences are not covered, we have to pay that out of pocket . . . and fencing can be expensive. I've been trying to locate some of the fiberglass step-in posts to put up more temporary fencing but nobody has any.

On the plus side, my horses got new-to-them blankets this past weekend that fit them SO much better than their previous blankets! After Dr. Bess found time to come check Taz's eye and fit both our horses for blankets, we donated the 3 we had that didn't fit them very well so that other horses would have nice, warm, waterproof blankets.

Thanks for "listening" to my ramblings!

Mortgage company still hasn't sent the check. As of today, they say they were able to verify the W-9 but were waiting for the check to be authorized. Hubby asked what date we could expect the check and they hemmed and hawed some more. He told them that if he didn't have the check in-hand on Wednesday to give to the contractor, we'd be going to an attorney.  He also told them that our general contractor's son-in-law is an attorney that has started going after the mortgage companies that are doing this.  Hopefully that will motivate them. We don't want to go that route but this is ridiculous. The roof has been done for 2 weeks! We need to get the drywall put in so we can get the insulation put back in so we aren't heating the county when we try to stay warm this winter but until the contractor gets paid for completed work, he's not starting any of the other work we need done! Fortunately, it's not cold right now but it's going to get cold again next week.

*sigh*

• RP - LEGACY

Saying prayers for you and your family. I work at an insurance company so I get to deal with insureds, agents, mortgage companies. Sometimes it can be a complicated mess. I know I try to do all I can for each call I get, but there are times when I've done all I can, and have to hope the next person does what they need to.

Hope progress can resume soon on your home. I'm glad to be been able to get what you have been able to, but so frustrating that the "red tape" has delayed the repairs continuing.

(Big hugs) If there's anything I can do, let me know.

Our insurance desk adjuster was on a conference call with us and the mortgage company last week and he was coming down pretty hard on the Loss Draft rep on the phone. He was pretty incredulous that they wouldn't cut a check for the roof because the report they had said it was done. So he was on our side, which was nice.

So we found out this week that one of the local hospitals is reducing its capacity to about 25% of what it was pre-Hurricane Michael. What does this mean?  800 lost jobs.

We found out today that the mall will not be reopening and will be demolished due to damage from Hurricane Michael. What does this mean?  500 lost jobs.

Those are the big hits. Other businesses are not reopening, as well. So many lost jobs . . .

Edited by Daruya

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:29 PM, Daruya said:

So we found out this week that one of the local hospitals is reducing its capacity to about 25% of what it was pre-Hurricane Michael. What does this mean?  800 lost jobs.

We found out today that the mall will not be reopening and will be demolished due to damage from Hurricane Michael. What does this mean?  500 lost jobs.

Those are the big hits. Other businesses are not reopening, as well. So many lost jobs . . .

That is so sad. Was the hospital damaged too?

We finally have cable, internet and phone at home again!  After 65 days! The cable has been working a little for the past couple weeks but not very well. Tonight it's working like a champ AND we have internet again!  Wooo-hooo!

Wallboard has been put up in the house. They got the seams taped and skimmed but there's still a LOT of "mudding" to do, then DH will prime and paint. He likes to paint and it will save some money, plus insurance will pay us for the time he spends doing it. 

We ordered a storage shed on November 5 and was told it would be delivered in 3 weeks. It still hasn't been delivered. When DH calls about it, he's told that people who ordered in October are still waiting. The shed is built, just needs to be delivered from Alabama to here. Sounds like they need to hire more drivers . . . 

Really tired tonight so going to go to bed early. Will try to spend more time on DM this weekend now that I won't have to hot-spot in.  :smile: