DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Failed Weaves and Withered Plants

Oddpositions

[OOC: The following scene was done through PM with Lih (Lillian Sedai) and myself (Viviane.)]

~

It was a lovely day in the gardens; that much was true. The delicate blossoms and rich green leaves danced in the gentle breeze that had picked up from the north, Viviane’s hair followed suit and started to get in the way of her vision. She gave an exasperated sigh, stopped the weave she was performing, and pulled the red locks away from her face, making a quick and sloppy braid to avoid the same thing happening again in a few moments.

Starting up again, Viviane let the Source flow into her and drew upon threads of Earth and Water. The later came easily enough, it always did, but only a small trickle of Earth came to her… Same as the last twenty attempts… This particular weave was a family secret used at the shop for generations beyond count. One of Rowan’s ancestors, who had trained in the Tower, discovered this little ‘Novice Trick.’ The weave in question was normally used on fabrics… Rowan decided to break from tradition and try it on some plants.

A large flax plant sat before her and she tried in vain to settle the weave upon the plant in an effort to improve its natural make-up. If Viviane’s theory was correct, the trick would work much more efficiently on the actual plant instead of the dead fibers that made up the fabric. Improving the plant would greatly expand its yield and quality… If only she could make the bloody thing work!

The weave collapsed upon itself with little fanfare and Viviane hung her head in defeat.

The rising upset in Vivian was plain for Lillian to both see and hear. It was not some foreign concept or feeling for her, she herself had once been in Vivian's position. Decades may have dulled her memory, but she could still recall her frustration with the earth element. Her own mentor had shown nothing but disappointment at her failure, she would not treat her own student so. Especially when the problem lay not in weakness nor laziness.

"It isn't what you would think.” Smiling reassuringly as she shuffled closer to Vivian, Lillian took the girl's nearest hand in her own and squeezed it gently. "It isn't because you aren't trying hard enough, in fact, it is because you are trying too hard.” That had Vivian's attention, and now Lillian would make use of it.

"You've over-practiced enough that you've ingrained your water use subconsciously as a crutch. That is one of the dangers of pushing yourself too quickly.” A hint at Vivian’s… extra activities.

Edited by Oddpositions

Lillian surprised Viviane, the Source flooding entirely from her grasp. She let out a gasp of shock at both the Sister’s appearance and the lose of Saidar. Lillian Sedai had always been gentle and kind towards Viviane, it was a refreshing change from some of the Sisters that held their nose too high in the air. Viviane knew her place, but all of these women had been in her position before; it would have been a nice change of pace if some of them had remembered that fact from time to time…

The Aes Sedai offered words of wisdom as to where Viviane may have been misstepping; that was not to mention the fact that Lillian Sedai clearly knew that she had been practicing much more than she should have while unsupervised. Accepted were allowed to do so, but sometimes Viviane pushed it.

“I didn’t know that was possible, Lillian Sedai, honest,” Viviane replied meekly, “I’ve always been weak in Earth and in Fire… I had thought that if I just kept practicing at them both, I would grow into those elements; but it seems like my efforts have only made things harder. Oh, how I wish for and crave the shall! It’s frightening to think that I may fail my test, should I ever be summoned, if I don’t get a grip on my command of all five elements… What if I am summoned and I still can’t even make a flower blossom or light a candle? I must get better at this!”

Viviane’s eyes glowed with fierce determination as she looked back to the kindly face of Lillian Sedai.

"Sometimes one should know when to be patient and, when necessary, know when to take a step back so they may take two steps forward." Lillian doubted that the girl would know where this was about to go, but it was for her own good.

"For the next ten days, you are forbidden to embrace the source." The look on Vivian's face betrayed surprise and more, but Lillian simply forged on. "If you embrace it for even a moment, I will find out and your time shall begin anew. Once it is done, we shall re-examine your earth weaving and you shall have the fresh eyes necessary to do so, eyes unclouded of frustration."

Viviane’s eyes goggled at Lillian Sedai’s words.

Ten days!? She thought to herself incredulously.

There was nothing for it, however; Accepted were expected to follow anything the Sisters had commanded of them, no questions asked. It was hard not to burst out with a cry or a shout, but Viviane was Accepted and almost a woman in the eyes of the Tower. She would not act like a Novice; especially when there were other members of the Tower wandering the Garden. It would be the talk of the Tower if she let her emotions get the best of her.

Practicing the flower bud meditation, Viviane breathed in and out. Within moments she felt the calm descend upon her and let the frustration, anger, and outrage melt away from her mind.

She nodded, blush rising in her cheeks, “Yes, Aes Sedai.”

Edited by Oddpositions

Taking her blade, she got to her feet as she added. "Your other classes involving Saidar are canceled and other tasks shall replace them. And when we renew your training, you will not resume your private self-improvement sessions."

Pausing for effect, Lillian's countenance softened. "If you wish to study beyond the curriculum, you may come and find me so I can at least supervise you. If you burn out, you not only harm yourself but put others at risk. When someone burns out they also lose control and anything can happen".

"Think about that during the week, and on my offer. I'll see you at dinner tonight". At that, Lillian left Vivian's company. There was still plenty to do before the day was done and it gave Vivian time to gather herself. Lillian was her teacher, not her mother, and she doubted that Vivian would appreciate her acting like one.

Lillian Sedai left Viviane with much to think on. As soon as the Aes Sedai was out of sight, Viviane’s face crumpled for a moment. She scrubbed the back of her hand over her face, acting as if she had an itch. Upon lowering the hand, her face had regained that mock Aes Sedai clam. With an effort, she slowly left the Gardens, walking with a certain grace that would certainly not suggest to the others that she was upset.

What does the woman expect me to do!? Next, she will tell me that I am to scrub chamber pots like a common servant! Pffaw… The nerve of that… Viviane thought to herself with rage.

The whole scene replayed back in her mind as she walked back to her quarters. Lillian wasn’t like most of the other Aes Sedai. She was caring and tender, in her own way… Despite the anger, Viviane had no other option than to trust in the Aes Sedai. What else could she do? Anything less than following instructions would result in further punishment, and perhaps even see her kicked out of the Tower! That could not be allowed to happen at all.

With a stiff upper lip, Viviane promised herself that she would do anything and everything that Lillian Sedai asked of her, even if it slowly killed her inside.

The plain wooden door to her room slowly creaked open and Viviane walked through the doorway. It shut behind her and all the emotions she had been holding back suddenly came to the forefront of her mind.

Viviane ran to her bed and punched one of the flat pillows, all the while crying silently to herself.

The forced abstinence sounded like the worst possible kind of torture, yet again, what were her alternatives?

Viviane would preserver.

Even if it killed her.