• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dreadbane

I only have one suggestion.

Couladin:

41F58940-C09D-4982-B6EB-E3DF9142A64E.jpeg.e154ace371322e1bb10fa82604ad97d4.jpeg

Mostly because my wife is a Steelers fan and she wants to see Andy Dalton get beheaded.

Edited by Dreadbane
Uploaded picture.

I may be a day late and many dollars short, but now that the show has been greenlit, I want to be more active and less of a lurker... 

I have always seen Sam Elliot as Thom.  Age, looks, height, all correct.  

I haven't put much thought into it, but my first choice for Egwene would be Odeya Rush , but I don't know if she can do a passable British accent, which I think all of Two Rivers dwellers and Andormen should have.

For Rand my first thought was Liam Hemsworth, but he's really not tall enough and already late twenties.  I think they need to cast some proven actor that is actually 6'6" or taller and early 20s at most. 

I was going to make a full list of the 'Supers', but wow I've already gone 1.5 hours without finding anyone for the superboys alone.   :-\

One final thought, Rafe knows Zachary Levi from his time with Chuck, I think he might be a very good Rhuarc or Bael (Zachary is 38 and 6'3").

I have to keep reminding myself that Hollywood has ways of making people the height that is needed for the role, but I can't keep it in my brain, lol.

I agree Sam Elliot would be great for the role of Thom.  He's whip-thin and has the facial hair.  If Elliot cannot be contracted, as busy as this man must be, I feel that Ian McShane's acting chops would make an excellent Thom too, even if he doesn't look the part.  If gleemen were a thing in our world, I could easily imagine him becoming one of the famous.  I know he's busy right now with a lot of things including acting as Mr. Wednesday in the TV series American Gods, but Lord knows (No pun intended) how troubled that is.  Maybe he could squeeze in the time.

Honestly, I could see McShane filling other roles; Lews Therin, Demandred, Mazrim Taim come to mind for him for me.

Is it silly of me to suggest Henry Cavill for Perrin?  He has a very hairy chest and looks the part to me, if he lets his hair grow.  I know he's kind of old for the part, but...it'd be really nice to see him play the part.

For Graendal...Christina Hendricks.  She's got great acting abilities, and honestly to me, she's just so attractive.  Sex incarnate.

I'd love to see Clancy Brown in this series too.  He was an amazing Brother Justin in Carnivalè and amongst many other roles, he has continued the evil vibe on Venture Brothers.  Perhaps he could be The Dark One, and do the V/O work for it?  Or maybe Demandred, or Mazrim Taim?  Yes, I know I'm double-dipping here, but I think that he'd rock any of those.

I'm at a loss for now, but I'm sure I'll come back with more ideas. 

I've a question about accents...Why do we need to have the Two Rivers Folk and main characters have British accents? They aren't used in the sound recordings and no mention of any kind of accent is noted in the books (Despite the unfortunate idea of giving the Royal Andoran  family members pseudo- British accents.).  To my recollection, the only accents noted in the series were the clipped tones of the Cairhienin (sp?) (very clipped) and the Seanchen (drawling)

.I've also noted in previous discussions where an attempt was made to ascribe an actual nation/region to the WOT nations a continual assertion that Andor/The Two rivers is equivalent of England/Ireland..Again Why? On the same subject, describing the Aiel as Scottish based solely on their hair color is  off in my opinion since their battle tatics are clearly drawn from the Zulus (weapons  and tactics) and their cultures is more closely akin to the Japanese (Je'etoh)  Also, I heard Mr. Jordan once describe the  Seanchan as a mixture of The Mongol and The Ottoman Empires.

Sorry about the above off topic discussions of nations to the point that it diverges  from my original query regarding accents; but, parts of that discussion also impact the accent issue, IMHO. 

tud

Sorry about a second post so soon after my first, but this one is squarely on topic: who should play the characters.

For Moiraine, I think that Racheal Wiez(Sp?) would fit the bill. I think she is actually close to be the actual age of Moiraine (early forties) ,she has almost the correct stature and coloring. Alternatively, you could cast Racheal Striling, a very fine British actress.

For Lan, it would have to be someone tall and older..Cavil almost fits the bill except he's too good looking...Lan's supposed to be forbidding looking/grim.

For Nyneave you could cast Natalie Portman .

For  Egwene, you could try Camilla Mendes from Riverdale. She possesses the correct age, coloring and height.

For Rand, Mat and Perrin, I think you'd have to go with newcomers or relative unknowns. no one else fits the bill.

I agree that Sam Elliot would make a pretty good Tom.

Thinking about it, I think Cavill would be better cast as Galad..He has that pretty boy look to him (And that's not a knock. I actually think he's a pretty good actor).

Hey, I just noticed something, a lot the actors I've mentioned are British.  Here, I complained about the idea of making the Andorans have a British accent and I recommend British actors. So much for my credibility!*G*

Tud 

Edited by Tud

My belief is that for all of the long lived, major characters you'd want unknowns. I'd imagine if this show is successful it's going to go for at least 7 years. If you're going to incorporate some bigger names I'd leave them for smaller roles that have a big impact yet would be killed off (Ishy/Baalzamon, Lanfear)... Think Sean Bean as Ned Stark.

As much as Sam Elliot is the spitting image of what I have in mind for Thom, I don't think he's a good choice. He's 74, so his longevity may be an issue. Plus, his southern drawl doesn't quite fit the character and I've never seen him in a role that didn't feature it.

I'd also potentially rule out the following:

Any actor with a semi-promenent role in GoT. Love GoT and it's really well cast... but I'd hate the show to feel too much like GoT by having the same actor portray a similar character in WoT. IE... we don't want Emilia Clarke to play Moiriane even though she'd be good for the part with her natural hair color.

One of the best realistic suggestions for Thom Merrilin that I've come accross, is Neil Patrick Harris. Thom has to be able to do all kinds of acrobatics, take down a Fade in a knife-fight, etc. The old favourites to play him are just that - too old.

My first choice for Morgase is Rachelle Lefevre (she played in Twilight too):

Rachelle Lefevre is a Canadian actress. She has starred in the television series Big Wolf on Campus and had recurring roles in What About Brian, Boston Legal, and Swingtown. Wikipedia
Born: February 1, 1979 (age 38), Montreal, Canada
Height: 5′ 6″

2jNU9fw.jpg

5Le8B3G.jpg

To play her daughter, Elayne (who's supposed to look like her, just younger) I would pick English actress

Rachel Hurd-Wood:

best known for her roles as Wendy Darling in the 2003 film Peter Pan, Corrie McKenzie in 2010's Tomorrow, When the War Began, and Sibyl Vane in 2009's Dorian Gray. Wikipedia
Born: August 17, 1990 (age 27), Streatham, United Kingdom
Height: 5′ 7″

E0HLqqV.jpg

On 10/5/2018 at 4:27 AM, SinisterDeath said:

Steve Buscemi as Padan Fain

YES. YES. and more YES.

While he is a busy man with a busy schedule, Steve Buscemi could pull of Fain very well. It's the kind of shifty back and forth that would really bring Fain to life.

Plus if they got a big actor they might expand the Fain story line, something I'm totally down for. 

• Community Administrator
7 hours ago, Sajius said:

YES. YES. and more YES.

While he is a busy man with a busy schedule, Steve Buscemi could pull of Fain very well. It's the kind of shifty back and forth that would really bring Fain to life.

Plus if they got a big actor they might expand the Fain story line, something I'm totally down for. 

I can see him both as the Peddler all shifty like. And at the same time, I could see him hiding among the White Cloaks all clean shaven sitting behind a desk.

Lucy Lawless has played a redhead before, maybe she could be Morgase?  It'd be a lovely refreshing role for her, a little more passive than some she has played in the past.

Or, instead of Lucy Lawless there (She could be a Wise One, like Amys instead!) Polly Walker could be Morgase.  Or a Wise One.  Either would work, because both are great actresses.

28 minutes ago, Maedelin said:

Lucy Lawless has played a redhead before, maybe she could be Morgase?  It'd be a lovely refreshing role for her, a little more passive than some she has played in the past.

Or, instead of Lucy Lawless there (She could be a Wise One, like Amys instead!) Polly Walker could be Morgase.  Or a Wise One.  Either would work, because both are great actresses.

I'd say both are a little to old to be Morgase... she's like mid-late 30's in the books. Both of them are 50+.

On 10/7/2018 at 9:48 AM, Elgee said:

One of the best realistic suggestions for Thom Merrilin that I've come accross, is Neil Patrick Harris. Thom has to be able to do all kinds of acrobatics, take down a Fade in a knife-fight, etc. The old favourites to play him are just that - too old.

This is a really good idea.

On 10/5/2018 at 2:35 AM, Ryrin said:

My bet is they will cast relative unknowns in the younger roles. 

I like Timothy Omundson for Thom.

Agreed; most long running TV shows cast respected/career/theatre actors as adult leads, maybe one or two known names, but then build up a cast of young, aspiring talent. 

My initial thoughts for a somewhat more realistic cast list:

Rand – Louis Hoffman (from the Netflix series Dark, although he's not that tall but they can always work round that)

Lan – Daniel Wu (from Into the Badlands)

Egwene – Ally Ioannides (also from Into the Badlands); Camilla Mendes from Riverdale I thought was also a good match

Nynaeve – Jessica Henwick (from Game of Thrones and Iron Fist/Defenders)

Moiraine – Morena Baccarin (from Firefly and the Deadpool movies)

Thom Merrillin – Miltos Yerolemou (from Game of Thrones, where he played Syrio Forel)

Padan Fain – Callum Keith Rennie (from Battlestar Galactica and  Jessica Jones)

Lanfear – Eva Green or Katie McGrath (the latter from Merlin and Supergirl)

Elaida – Maria Doyle Kennedy (from Orphan Black and The Tudors)

Galad – Bradley James (from Merlin)

Of course, some of these are more likely than others. Into the Badlands seems to be doing really well for AMC, so those actors are likely locked in there for a long time to come.

Edited by Werthead

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with Morena Baccarin for Moirraine. She has that ageless look and her former work would be a plus to be added to the new unknowns for the main five (Rand, Nyneave, Perrin, Matt and Egeene). I’m pretty sure casting will get it right though like they did on SOF&I/GOT. 

• 2 weeks later...

Whoever shouted Cavill as Galad I think that's a good call. He really gives off that charming but uber-straight laced goody two shoes vibe (that went completely unused as Superman). Might be too big a name though.

Buscemi is a good shout for Fain, but he maybe a bit too old now at 60.

Alicia Vikander I think would be a good Moiraine. Got the acting chops, pint-sized stature, around the right age (30) to hold down an ageless look for 10 years. Well known but not too big a name either.

Katherine McNamara could be a good Elayne, though I don't think I've seen her act in anything.

Maybe Rosamund Pike for Morgase.

My total off the wall would-never-happen-but-would be-hilarious-and-crazy-enough-to-work-if-it-did choice for Thom, Taika Waititi:

shutterstock_5700574f.jpg

Aging him up 10 years or so would be easy, but of course he's busy making movies.

Tom Holland could be a good Mat, but he's way too big a name.

On 10/5/2018 at 5:54 PM, dexterryu said:

My belief is that for all of the long lived, major characters you'd want unknowns. I'd imagine if this show is successful it's going to go for at least 7 years.

we don't want Emilia Clarke to play Moiriane even though she'd be good for the part with her natural hair color.

Agreed. Casting this needs to keep a good 10 year run in mind if everything goes as well as we want it to.

And I'd say we don't want want Clarke as Moiraine full stop. I don't think she's a good actress.

On 10/12/2018 at 9:36 PM, Werthead said:

My initial thoughts for a somewhat more realistic cast list:

Rand – Louis Hoffman (from the Netflix series Dark, although he's not that tall but they can always work round that)

Lan – Daniel Wu (from Into the Badlands)

Nynaeve – Jessica Henwick (from Game of Thrones and Iron Fist/Defenders)

Elaida – Maria Doyle Kennedy (from Orphan Black and The Tudors)

Definite no to Hoffman. He's not just "not that tall", he's properly short, like 5'7". Nearly a full foot shorter than Rand is supposed to be. That's something I think should be noted, Rand's height isn't arbitrary, it's part of his heritage and character. He's the kind of tall you can't fudge with camera angles and tricks, whoever is cast needs the height. Same for Perrin, he needs to be physically imposing, it's part of his character, it's how/why he learned to be so considerate and careful.

Wu also seems quite a bit too short.

Henwick, as big a crush as I have on her and would like to see in this, is wrong for Nyn. The Two Rivers is supposed to be ethnically homogeneous, basically cut off from the outside world for about 2 thousand years, few leave, few outsiders ever visit. That's part of Rand standing out too, because of his height and eye/hair colouring. It's also what makes the Emond's Fielders the audiences eyes and ears learning about the wider world of WoT, they're simple country bumpkins knowing not that much more than the audience does.

As you mention Orphan Black, I'd like to see Tatiana Maslany in this. Maybe a Forsaken, Lanfear or something.

On 11/11/2018 at 7:10 PM, Maedelin said:

I kind of think that maybe Kiernan Shipka (In a wig or not, I don't really care) for Min Farshaw.  She has a delivery method and a low voice that makes me feel like she'd do a great job in the role.

Isn't Min supposed to be several years older than Rand? Mid/Late-20's? Shipka is 19 and looks younger.

By the time they finish writing Season 1 and 2, (Even just wrangling one season out is gonna be difficult) cast the principle parts, scout the right locations and get everything rolling, Kiernan will be a few years older.  If they do enough makeup, and play their cards right, she'll be fine.

Even though she's supposed to be several years older than TTR men, it's rarely mentioned after book 6 and if you listen to the audiobooks, rarely is her voice correctly shown.

I appreciate your comments.  I would like to remind you that the series will probably not strictly follow the series.  I see no reason that Min's stated age in the series means much of anything in the long run.  It is not a major plot point like Rand's height, which you stated and I agree with.  They will need someone tall for his character.