DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The casting thread

Barmacral

The ageless look is caused by the Oath Rod.  Normally, the channelors would simply age extremely slowly.  This is why LTT looked like he was around 40 even through he was well over 300 years old when he died.  Same is true for the Kin,some of whom were a few hundred years old.  

The Oath rod literally stops natural aging at a certain point, but the person begins to give off an aura of maturity, and you can tell that they are older than they look.  

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ll be surprised if the show addresses the ageless look beyond maybe a comment about not being able to put an age to someone. RJ was great in describing it in words, but it’s something else entirely trying to pull it off visually. It could get expensive (Marvel has done some excellent de-aging CGI, but I doubt it was cheap), or just look terrible, or both. Movie makeup and lighting are great at making people look good. They just need to have Aes Sedai look young for their age, and (more importantly) carry their year and maturity in their acting.

16 hours ago, mandersen said:

I’ll be surprised if the show addresses the ageless look beyond maybe a comment about not being able to put an age to someone. RJ was great in describing it in words, but it’s something else entirely trying to pull it off visually. It could get expensive (Marvel has done some excellent de-aging CGI, but I doubt it was cheap), or just look terrible, or both. Movie makeup and lighting are great at making people look good. They just need to have Aes Sedai look young for their age, and (more importantly) carry their year and maturity in their acting.

I was watching Rachel Weisz in Bourne 4 and was thinking throughout the movie oh that is a younger girl who looks like Rachel and discovered at the end it was her. So yes movie makeup and lighting can make the right sort of middle aged woman look ageless, so I have little doubt they can achieve the Aes Sedai look on the show. 

On 6/18/2019 at 6:11 AM, johnnysd2 said:

I think Pike is perfect. Utterly perfect, and very close to how I have always pictured her. Some of the popular choices would just be dreadful decisions. Awesome choice if she takes it. Pike can be very youthful looking, older at times, arrogant and with just that touch of potential darkness that Moiraine has.

Agreed, fine actress, and just the sort you need to build the first season around.

Looking at what they have announced I wonder if they are going to keep it far more of secret who the chosen one is among Rand, Matt, Perrin. Focus on Morraine and her quest through season 1and a big reveal toward the end of the season. 

In terms of casting Jenna Coleman deserves a lot better than the poor writing they gave her in Victoria series 3, she could make a good Nynaeve. Physically not far off her and she can do fierce. Older than the Nynaeve from the books but if all the other core actresses are a bit older too that probably still works. 

18 hours ago, mandersen said:

They will probably use make up, and given them a elf-like look.  You remember how the elves in the hobbit and Lord of the rings looked.  That's how imagine the "ageless" look appearing on screen,

6 hours ago, DemandredFO said:

she's probably too old to play Egwene but Nyneave maybe.

Far too old for Egwene. Egwene is 16/17 at the start of the books and Emma Watson is 29.

Nyneave maybe, but depending on how close they are keeping to the physical descriptions from the books, because if they you are talking small, slight and dark haired. Used to work with a Welsh girl who matched the physical description exactly, which is probably where RJ got his inspiration for Two Rivers folk, 

True DragonFairy....but he has been working on other projects too the past two years. The hiatus between filming the last and current season was 7 months. He could fit in WOT imo. The age is a problem indeed.

I always felt Jodie Foster would make a great Moiraine. Rosamund is a good actress too though.

If Jodie Foster were Moraine(too late now but oh well) Anthony hopkins could be Ishamael. Actually now that I think of it and having watched westworld, he'd make a great Ishy who'd draw eyes and then killed in season two or whatever in favor of someone else for Moridin.

Anthony Hopkins is great at blurring the lines between good and evil that's basically what Ishamael does. Lanfear might be a name too, just based on her interactions with Rand and she's not in every scene. They need to be careful with her because you need someone who can play an ex with serious issues but not overplay the psychotic elements

14 hours ago, DemandredFO said:

Anthony Hopkins is great at blurring the lines between good and evil that's basically what Ishamael does.

Not sure that Ishamael blurs those lines. He seems pretty straight up evil to me. But, if you want someone who blurs good and evil well, you want Tom Hiddleston. He'd work better with Ishamael's description, too, Hopkins is too old. Not to disrespect Hopkins, who is a great actor.

6 hours ago, Sunrose said:

I believe Lana Parilla could make a good Lanfear

OK, don't laugh at me, but a weird-sounding but actually possibly good idea I have for Lanfear is Kat Dennings.

On 7/15/2019 at 4:08 AM, Sunrose said:

Maybe Joe Manganiello as Logain.

Not a bad idea. I wouldn't say no to Ben Barnes or Henry Cavill.