DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The casting thread

Barmacral

19 hours ago, mandersen said:

Here’s an idea: Cairhienan could be Asian — short, dark hair and eyes. Could work. I don’t know what her acting chops are like, but I could see Bingbing Li as Moiraine. 

14 hours ago, DragonFairy said:

It's a fantasy with magic all around. Seems to me suspending disbelief would go with the territory!

I think that would be an awesome choice!

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason I have always had more difficulty finding actors who represent my mental images of the young men in WoT. I finally decided who Galad looks like in my mind--a YOUNG Hugh Grant (with dark eyes though, of course). He would have made me swoon!!

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0PDsBzBRwRdEnIARU1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=young+hugh+grant&fr=tightropetb#id=142&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fstaticpopopics.popopics.com%2Fuploads%2Foriginal%2Fhugh-grant-487962.jpg&action=click

Edited by DragonFairy

On 6/13/2019 at 8:03 PM, DragonFairy said:

That's a good idea as long as they're as fair as Li is. She looks like a great Moiraine. She was good in "The Meg" (not my kind of movie but hubby has watched it a few times). Based on that and her eyes, I think she could project Moiraine's serenity and wisdom. I think the hardest part about playing Moiraine will be having her strong presence even though she's of short stature.

Here's a great picture:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0508356/mediaviewer/rm106180864

@Dagon Thyne Can he act? I don't remember Elyas being from Tear. Do we learn that early on, or later?

In his biography, it says he was originally from Tear, but ran away as a teenager to become a soldier in the borderlands, before becoming a warder.   

Edited by Dagon Thyne

Wouldn't be the worst Moiraine but I don't think she is on the Sean Bean level of casting, is she? 

Would hope for one other big name in the casting.  Otherwise, one of the things I'm most looking forward to is discovering some great new character actors.  GoT did this so magnificently and I hope WoT can do the same.

If the Rosamund Pike news turns out to be true, and she accepts the role, and the role is indeed Moiraine, I totally support it. She wouldn’t have been my first choice, but she’s a talented actor and will no doubt do an excellent job. If you have a problem with this casting, I’m sorry but you’re not going to like the series. It could (and inevitably for some other casting choices WILL) be worse. If any of us want a chance of enjoying this adaptation, we’re going to have to shelf our vivid mental pictures.

6 hours ago, mandersen said:

If the Rosamund Pike news turns out to be true, and she accepts the role, and the role is indeed Moiraine, I totally support it. She wouldn’t have been my first choice, but she’s a talented actor and will no doubt do an excellent job. If you have a problem with this casting, I’m sorry but you’re not going to like the series. It could (and inevitably for some other casting choices WILL) be worse. If any of us want a chance of enjoying this adaptation, we’re going to have to shelf our vivid mental pictures.

I think Pike is perfect. Utterly perfect, and very close to how I have always pictured her. Some of the popular choices would just be dreadful decisions. Awesome choice if she takes it. Pike can be very youthful looking, older at times, arrogant and with just that touch of potential darkness that Moiraine has.

The only thing that very minorly gets me is Pike's height, but for a TV adaptation it's not a big deal for me. There are far more important concerns.

I'll add that it's very difficult for a younger actor to bring the sort of gravitas that Moiraine's character needs. 

Edited by Agitel

pike sounds great to me.  this series has come a long way since the eotw prologue debacle.  I bet pike will pull off the sexy and sophisticated moraine needed for television. especially if they die her hair black

Edited by Pandemonium

On 6/19/2019 at 3:39 PM, JenniferL said:

Moiraine is in her 40s. And she might not look exactly how you pictured, but you haven’t seen her in makeup and costume yet. 

Moiraine is in her mid-40's but looks like she's 25.  It clearly states this,   When Rand first sees her, he thinks she's no older than Nynaeve, who is 24-25 in the first book, but then he realized she also has a look of maturity and wisdom in her eyes.  Physically she looks very young.  

The "ageless" look of an Aes Sedai doesn't actually make them look older.   They still look young, but they give off an aura of maturity and wisdom that someone who looks as young as their do shouldn't have.  

Edited by Dagon Thyne

Something that just occurred to me. Siuan and Leane were not the first Aes Sedai to be stilled, and not all previously stilled Aes Sedai were immediately executed, so it seems the change in facial appearance should have been noted before and not have been such a surprise.

Women who have been stilled don’t stick around the Tower and Aes Sedai avoid them as much possible. Stilling is a subject they are deeply uncomfortable with. Typically it takes time for the change to happen, but Siuan and Leane lost their ability under such traumatic circumstances that it happened faster than usual. By the time most stilled women change, they’ve already fled the Tower like Setalle Anan did. 

On 6/25/2019 at 8:13 PM, DragonFairy said:

While it's true that Aes Sedai keep the smooth skin of a 20-something, the books say over and over though that you can't put any age to an Aes Sedai. At first glance they look young, at next glance they look older, then younger again.

The reason they can't put age to them isn't because they physically look older, but because of the aura they give off.  They just seem to be more mature and wise, and you end up with the feeling that they are older than they seems, and it's impossible to what their true age is.  They don't seem to age back and fourth with every glance.