DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Best WOT romances

Sajius

Ok so there is a lot of talk on the other thread about the Worst Wot romances, but what about the best. While there is less good than bad I want to see what others think. 

For me it's going to have to be only two.

1. Rand/Min: One of the only fully fleshed out romances with actual character behind them.

2. Mat/Tuon: An opposites attract scenario but with plenty of charm during earlier books.

Halima and Delena.

It matched the raw, believable passion of the other romances, and was burned out of existence with balefire, setting an example that the others can only aspire to.

...Sorry, but you covered the only tolerable ones.  Even Rand/Min was a bit out there.  "Well, I guess I'm going to love him anyway so I should probably just love him."

Mat and Tuon may not cause a lot of swooning, but at least they interacted in some significant manner before magically being in love.

now, I know that there are a lot of other issues with Perrin and Faile, but they did actually interact before falling in love.

Not saying that theirs is the best.

Mat and Pips?

Here's a slightly more serious idea, but how about Rand and Lanfear? It's certainly one of the most interesting romances (it just doesn't have a happy ending) at least during the early series.

On 9/28/2018 at 12:46 PM, Sajius said:

Can you imagine if the Lewis Therin in Rand cause him to be attracted to Lanfear. Think of the anguish it would cause Rand and the amount of new things they could use Lanfear for.

To be honest, I reckon it was the LTT in Rand that prevented him fully wanting Lanfear.

The best romance is undeniably that of Perrin and Faile, for being both the most fleshed out and the most character driven.

Most of the other romances in the book are all plot driven. Mat has to marry Tuon because of Prophecy. Rand has to marry Min/Elayne/Aviendha because of Min's viewing. Gareth Bryne has to love Siuan because the rebel Aes Sedai needed a general.

Only Perrin and Faile love each other because they wanted to.

4 hours ago, TheSociopath said:

I'm sure that you've seen some of the various complaints about Faile and Perrin which basically can be summed up to 

"its an abusive relationship"

Out of curiosity, how do you respond to those?

On my read throughs of WoT I never have seen the "abusive relationship" that some claim. While I'm sure that if I did look I could find some questionable parts, my theory is if I didnt see it without looking then there probably isnt to much there. 

Personally for me their relationship was mediocre and could be summed up pretty easily. Perrin loved her, Berlain chased Perrin, Faile gets mad at Berlain, Faile also loves Perrin.

fair enough. 

I haven't actually read much of Perrin's arc post tSR since my first or second Reread. 

However, from what I remember, I think I agree with your assessment.

I found it pretty mediocre, although if it hadn't been so elongated, I think it could have been above average.

• 7 months later...

The romances in WoT o er sorta suck....

everyone is so frazzed and desperate most of the time no real time for romance and stuff in many ways

sadly....

That's the one thing I noticed g about Game of Thrones... which I mean it's obvious to bring up here....

The series has a lot of points about serenity and firendship and stuff that are really important like

Ned Starks whole "F True friendship is never made on the battlefield"

Wheel of Time is just one neverending battlefield... there's no prequel... there's no real setup.....

The only setup is a completely raving mad Lews Therin... that's it.. that's all we get everyone else more or less

meets each other except for basically people in Two Rivers....

That said I thin Elayne and Rand get some decent... something.....

I think also Gawyn is a pretty good rendition or por prototypical handsome male lead sorta deal....

It's all basically well enough I guess is what I'm saying but it feels very limp e compared to the stark chivalry of Stark