DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

First time rereader

QWee

Hello world!

Name's Marcus, long time fan but first time poster!

I first started my WoT adventure back in the summer of 2011 as an audiobook experience (first time I listened to a book instead of reading). Initially, I only listened to the books as I was working out/jogging. Listening as I commuted to school wasn't much of an option as I only lived 5 mins away. Needless to say, it took me quite a while to work my way through the books. I finished the final book the 1st of December 2013 - My listeningen pace increased significantly around the 8th book as I figured I didn't have to jog while listening. The final book took me around a week - I just couldn't stop at it.

I might add that I started out listening to the Swedish version of the books, but as only around half of the books are translated to Swedish (for a reason I do not know - considering how popular fantasy (and WoT) is in Sweden) one are forced to migrate to the English version sooner or later (or whatever language one prefers). Around the 5th book I transitioned to English, and it was quite confusing as some names (mostly locations) differ et.c, but in the end it was very educational - and I know that my English vocabulary has increased significantly since.

On and off over the years since I finished the series, I've had flashbacks and walks down memory lane remembering the adventure of WoT, sometimes giving me the chills. For me, it has been obvious that I would reread the entire saga, someday. Now this day has arrived. This time I intend to do it right, reading them all (no audiobooks) in the language of origin.

Two weeks ago I ordered the first 3 books ("new" paperback edition) and I'm about halfway through the first at the time of writing. I'm amazed how much really happened in the first book, how many characters and plotlines that are introduced that I may not had reflected over until later in the series. I'm hooked again, and already looking forward to adding the later books to my shelf. Gonna look real nice!

This time however, I figured I'd involve myself more with the community and other fans, hence why I'm here writing this introduction. Last time I had some vivid discussion with a close friend at Uni along with my brother, but not much more than that really. I remember browsing the wiki from time to time, but that was quite hazardous due to spoilers.

What do you guys and gals recommend doing to immerse oneself further in the story and the universe (I just got my membership approved here, so I haven't really browsed around anything yet)?

As a non-native Englsih speaker, I guess I have to end with Sorry for my bad English, but I hope you understand!

Regards,

Marcus

Your English is better than most people's!

Welcome to DM - it's really wonderful to meet fellow WoT fans from all over the world! I'm from South Africa, and there are people on here from almost every country you can think of. Quite a few Swedish people, in fact!

There are so many areas here, each with it's own interests and approaches. One can divide them loosely into 3 types, namely the discussion areas, the role playing areas, and the social groups. The social groups are really very hard to describe - you really have to hang out in them to understand what they're all about. Please feel free to venture everywhere, and test all the waters. Most of the Social Groups have "open" boards where non-members can mix with the members themselves.

If you have any questions, fire away!

Thank you all for the kind words!

@Elgee

Suppose I have to be honored being adressed by the Amyrlin Seat herself - even without an audience! ;)

Thank you for the tips, I think I'll start with discussions at first and then venture forward from there. I'm not that much into role playing myself, tbh I haven't done much of it either, but the social groups might be worth checking out! Sounds perfect for a slow day at the office! ;)

P.s. impressive post count by you all! Keep it up! :D

Be seeing you!

2 hours ago, QWee said:

P.s. impressive post count by you all! Keep it up! :D

It's because we're older than dirt *grins*

I think my 12th year anniversary is coming up, and I'm still considered a young'un ... lol

On 2018-08-07 at 12:17 AM, Songstress said:

The social groups are a great place to make friends... I only regret taking a year before I looked at the social community section of the site!

I'll try to remember that! Just gonna have to find/take time from all my other commitments (i.e books, movies and shows). :P

Each of them has a bit of a different focus and flavor...  the White Tower and Warders is generally the largest and most active, with a variety of subgroups included within that cover a big range of topics (for instance, I'm in the Blue Ajah there, which is mostly focused on sci-fi/fantasy fandoms and gaming).  Since it's so big and complex, the WT has an introductory class when you join to help you explore and find your way around. 

I'm also a member of the Black Tower, which is pretty much an outlet for insanity.

If you're generally mischievous and a little evil, you might enjoy Shayol Ghul...   If you write, craft or create art of any sort, you'll want to check out the Tuatha'an...  The Band of the Red Hand is known for music and food... and I haven't really spent much time with the Aiel, Wolfkin or Ogier. :blush:

The Dragon Reborn Role Play sub board is the RP community, and they are a maze in themselves - if you're into role playing, I'm sure someone will come snag you and drag you in :laugh:

Otherwise, any of the social groups has private boards for members only, but you're welcome to peruse and post in any of the threads you can see, and get a feeling for how the group interacts, how active they are, and what they like to talk about.  And if you like what you see, there should always be a pinned thread in the forum to post in if you want to join officially.  Many of us post in several groups that we haven't joined just to join in the conversations, and that's perfectly OK.  :laugh:

On 2018-08-09 at 5:53 PM, Songstress said:

Each of them has a bit of a different focus and flavor...  the White Tower and Warders is generally the largest and most active, with a variety of subgroups included within that cover a big range of topics (for instance, I'm in the Blue Ajah there, which is mostly focused on sci-fi/fantasy fandoms and gaming).  Since it's so big and complex, the WT has an introductory class when you join to help you explore and find your way around. 

I'm also a member of the Black Tower, which is pretty much an outlet for insanity.

If you're generally mischievous and a little evil, you might enjoy Shayol Ghul...   If you write, craft or create art of any sort, you'll want to check out the Tuatha'an...  The Band of the Red Hand is known for music and food... and I haven't really spent much time with the Aiel, Wolfkin or Ogier. :blush:

The Dragon Reborn Role Play sub board is the RP community, and they are a maze in themselves - if you're into role playing, I'm sure someone will come snag you and drag you in :laugh:

Otherwise, any of the social groups has private boards for members only, but you're welcome to peruse and post in any of the threads you can see, and get a feeling for how the group interacts, how active they are, and what they like to talk about.  And if you like what you see, there should always be a pinned thread in the forum to post in if you want to join officially.  Many of us post in several groups that we haven't joined just to join in the conversations, and that's perfectly OK.  :laugh:

You speak of Ajahs and warders; are these gender constricted? I know this is the Internet and gender has become a sensitive and discussed subject worldwide. But keep it simple; male and female.

Chaos and dark might be right up my alley. Guess I have to check out both of them! For the creative parts, I neither have the time nor talent to pursue that goal! :P

I suppose the best way is to just stroll around until I see something the catches my eye! 

9 hours ago, QWee said:

You speak of Ajahs and warders; are these gender constricted? I know this is the Internet and gender has become a sensitive and discussed subject worldwide. But keep it simple; male and female.

Not gender constricted, no. Anyone can be a Warder or Aes Sedai or Asha'man or Wise One. Usually you're restricted to the path you can follow within a subgroup, though. For instance at the White Tower and Warders you can either choose the Aes Sedai path or the Warder path - you can't be both. You can be an Aes Sedai or Warder at the WT&W AND you can be a member of the Black Tower, though.

13 hours ago, Elgee said:

Not gender constricted, no. Anyone can be a Warder or Aes Sedai or Asha'man or Wise One. Usually you're restricted to the path you can follow within a subgroup, though. For instance at the White Tower and Warders you can either choose the Aes Sedai path or the Warder path - you can't be both. You can be an Aes Sedai or Warder at the WT&W AND you can be a member of the Black Tower, though.

I see, thank you for the clarification! :)

• 2 weeks later...