DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Cross

Ponderings

7 hours ago, Cross said:

*slaps hands down on her art desk* tryin’ ta start somethin’?!

What do you think??? 

that you're a troublemaker :P

its almost impossible to put to writing all the benefits art has on society. partly because a good deal of is it emotional. art provokes. it evokes. it's our first form of writing, our first historian. often it bridges the gap between the literate and illiterate, leveling and accessing a playing field. it can help us see new worlds, new ways of thought, see through the eyes of another. visit someone else's passions and soul. provides a deep breath for contemplation and appreciation. not to mention it forms the world around us, designs of buildings, furniture, clothes, every single item we use in life. 

it also helps form and shape and even manipulate opinions, and tides of society. which can be both good and bad. i.e. propaganda. the nazi's wielded it like a weapon. an effective one. and then so did the allies. art was used as a rallying cry for thousands of women (rosie the riveter) 

I think art is another form of communication with the same capabilities as verbal language and body language.  I think just like words and action, art can harm but heal and help as well.  When it comes down to it, it's visual communication and sometimes certain messages and emotions are better left unseen.

I think that if there isn't sentient life out there, then it is an awful waste of space. 

Art benefits society by opening the doors of creative thought and imagination. Which leads to invention and improving one's life. I am not an artist either, but I can appreciate it's purpose in fulfilling a need to be creative. 

11 hours ago, Minuet said:

I think that if there isn't sentient life out there, then it is an awful waste of space. 

I follow "The Tweet of God"on Twitter. It's mostly humorous but can be insightful. I read this recently and it popped out at me.

"I created the entire universe for the sake of one group of one species on one planet in one solar system in one galaxy."

On 9/17/2018 at 5:47 PM, Cross said:

that you're a troublemaker :P

its almost impossible to put to writing all the benefits art has on society. partly because a good deal of is it emotional. art provokes. it evokes. it's our first form of writing, our first historian. often it bridges the gap between the literate and illiterate, leveling and accessing a playing field. it can help us see new worlds, new ways of thought, see through the eyes of another. visit someone else's passions and soul. provides a deep breath for contemplation and appreciation. not to mention it forms the world around us, designs of buildings, furniture, clothes, every single item we use in life. 

it also helps form and shape and even manipulate opinions, and tides of society. which can be both good and bad. i.e. propaganda. the nazi's wielded it like a weapon. an effective one. and then so did the allies. art was used as a rallying cry for thousands of women (rosie the riveter) 

Thank you for your well thought out reply. I've always had a sense that art is very valuable but you have explained it beautifully and expanded it into areas I hadn't thought of.

I think art is very important for children too. I really dislike when art and music programs are cut due to lack of funding.

1 hour ago, Ryrin said:

I think art is very important for children too. I really dislike when art and music programs are cut due to lack of funding.

Especially when it is so beneficial to the learning process. People complain about the youth of today not being able to think and function as well as previous generations I think not having art and music is part of that issue. The other of course is video games and the lack of parental involvement. It is all tied into what is wrong with our public education system. 

Just as a disclaimer: I did home educate my boys. They are both very functional, intelligent men who have awesome careers. Both are in positions where a bachelors degree was required for employment and neither of them has one. One even supervises people with master's degrees. It isn't because they are super smart, it is because they have critical thinking skills that aren't taught and art and music help develop those skills. They are a gateway for expression which leads to critical thinking. 

very very good point about critical thinking. something you evolve to do when you appreciate art but something you do much more of when you create it. 

well unless you're doing that modern paint splatter stuff, thats just emotional. 

but in the creation of it so many things have to pass through your mind revolving around design, intention, purpose, etc etc

As a musician, pretty much my whole life has revolved around art in one form or another. My government is regularly cutting funding to amazing programs, and all the art training is funded almost entirely by donors. It's a really sad state to be in, especially given how much art does. It's so much more than just fun, or a diversion, or whatever else people might call it. Ignoring that it's just so good for education, for teaching skills, and hard work, and perseverance and persistence, and encouraging the creativity that people seem to be happy to let die as soon as real work comes up. Ignoring all that, there is so much more to art. All the people I know who do it, who make things, who fight so hard to be able to do it, they're all terribly clever. They're the tops of their schools and leaders in their societies, all the kinds of people who could have done anything, could have chosen any path and thrived. But they chose to make art, and I am so thankful for it. 

Cross and htc, I absolutely agree with you that all art in its most basic form is communication. Even when it's just between your own mind and the instrument, or the canvas, or whatever it is you use to say it. Artists can use that medium to express something they can't say in any other way, even if it's just something for them alone. 

And when a piece of art touches you? When what they are expressing, what they have managed to say, it is such an amazing thing to recognise that thought in another person. 

As a performer, it's amazing to feel so completely wrung out by a performance you've given, so emotionally drained because you gave everything you had to give, but it's so much more amazing when you see that you've affected someone else, that you weren't just putting all that effort and energy and emotion into the air, you were holding up a mirror to someone else, you were joining them, and they felt it too. It's such a beautiful thing. 

I love how you can feel something from a piece of art that has been there for centuries, and know that endless people are connected to you throughout history because you have all felt connected to this thing that someone made. And that you can simultaneously know that no other person will ever experience it the way you are experiencing it in that moment. 

And on a completely selfish note, it feels so good. When you are creating art with someone else? Even if you're following a script, if you're playing music from the page, what you are doing in that moment, with another person, can never be repeated. It's the most alive you will ever feel, knowing that you are making something new and beautiful, and you are sharing it with someone else. The more alone you feel, together in your own space, weaving it together, the better it is to watch. The more engaged, the more impassioned, the further away you are from the real world, the more people understand what it is you are trying to say. And even if they don't, it doesn't matter, because you'll always have that moment. 

Ok. Rant over. XD I have a lot of feelings about art. I always have far too much to say. 

Also, in other news, Neil Gaiman has a book out called Art Matters and I thought that would be a good thing to drop into this thread. 

BB, that was just awesome. I really didn’t expect such deep and meaningful thoughts and I’m so grateful you and others took the time to share. I enjoyed your perspective of performing art.

A friend and I are “doing” art at least once a week. Very simple things but we find great satisfaction in it. 

22 hours ago, Cross said:

very very good point about critical thinking. something you evolve to do when you appreciate art but something you do much more of when you create it. 

well unless you're doing that modern paint splatter stuff, thats just emotional. 

but in the creation of it so many things have to pass through your mind revolving around design, intention, purpose, etc etc

I really don't like the paint splatter.

no the splatter stuff doesnt require a lot of actual talent. i dont get it beyond maybe liking some color combos. scam if you ask me. 

also doctor who's van gogh episode. there's a ton on insight on the power of art in that one. 

i would like to touch on something Bard Babe said. about the energy put into a piece. and how she can feel spent after a performance. i can be the same way with some images i make. i heard it once that an artist imparts a piece of their soul with everything they make. 

while i dont know about EVERY piece made, i can see it in some. i was just talking to oskar a bit about this the other day. that my favorite pieces to do, favorite visual stories to tell are the emotional ones. because in those i get to impart emotion. and its a physical act, something you know you're doing when you're doing it. you evoke the emotion you want to impart and personally i feel it. at some points i have felt it so much that i have cried while trying to create that same emotion on a page. 

and it is universal across all artistic platforms. you can hear a difference in the power of a voice when the singer feels what they sing. in the impact of the music when a musician emotes through their instrument. it'll hit you in the heart. thats why some songs and music can brings tears of joy and pain. 

its magic. its connection. its communication on the most basic level

I found that part intriguingly but not surprising. I would think that writing would have that same effect.

honestly the only thing thats been on my mind lately is wondering why is it so hard for some men to listen and think and accept what women say about how sexual crimes process and affect?

I've been thinking the same thing too, Cross.

"Why didn't she say anything sooner!?!?"

Gee, perhaps it was the hatred, the automatic disbelief, the victim blaming, and the literal death threats that prevented a terrified woman from speaking out.

What's makes it even more frustrating all around is that there have been incidences of false accusation; not many, but just enough to provide cover to the misogynists.

oh i loathe that  ‘say something sooner’ crap

and that’s all a part of it. but beyond the external reasons for not coming forward, there’s the internal ones of self blame, doubt, and shame, oh Lord the shame is terrible. denial, convincing yourself that it’s not as bad as you think etc.  thos who say things like our president did about reporting it, have no idea and never looked into it. and most unfortunately dont want to. 

years are common. decades more so. its a tangle knot of blame, pain, and emotional torture to process. 

indeed, i was just talking to a man about that, the false claims, it’s his biggest concern it seems. and like i told him statistically its in the minority, and those false claims are easily debunked when you know and understand the true signs to look for.  but people seem unwilling to learn those.

It's like because the allegations came out later, somehow time made the events not happen? It's silly. Can you imagine being a woman going public against Bill Cosby at the height of his popularity? 

i think with some of that it’s because people dont know the mental/emotional fallout, that they assume you should be ‘over it’ by then. the gentlemen inwas talking to raised the concern that things from his youth would land him in jail if we were able to prosecute those things decades later. 

when there’s a major distinction to be made, he was willing to admit his failings. that’s huge.