DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Cross

Ponderings

what are you pondering right about now? 

idle questions, musings, and even fleeting ideas hit every single one of us. they arent enough to warrant an all out study, but do take us down interesting paths of thought that can be amusing or provoking. this is the place to share yours, so whether you're wondering about the merits of current political ideologies or more simply how chairs would work if our knees bent the other way. share with us! we can either discuss and plumb the depths of an idea or just share your momentary amusement. but in all cases thoughts will be provoked!

Why do they make ordinary vehicles able to achieve speeds so much faster than what the speed limits are world wide?

ok that one i have a theory on, because we're leaving a driveway we're on our way to drive and on parkways we're our way to park somewhere

On 7/25/2018 at 3:42 PM, Basel Gill said:

Exactly how dumb is a box of rocks?

Very

hey i have some rocks that’d argue with that!

speaking of, fossils, i know the process but has there ever been any instances of human fossilization?  can ypu imagine hundreds of years in the futurebwing an archeologist and finding one?

How To Become A Fossil After You Die

If you want to become a fossil, and achieve textbook fame in tens of thousands of years and get studied as an educational example of bad ecological behavior, die intact, and be buried somewhere in the Great Plains. And make sure you have all your teeth.

It never ceases to amaze me: we all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinion than our own.

--Marcus Aurelius

On 8/7/2018 at 12:25 PM, thehumantrashcan said:

How can something be truth to one person and a falsehood to someone else?

Truth and falsehood are subjective and often applied to matters of faith or metaphysics or spirituality or... belief. So... you believe something, I believe something else, we call what we believe truth, what we don't believe we may call falsehood.

more objective terms are fact and not fact maybe, or objectively unsupported or something like that. Words you apply to science or to the physical world and what can be objectively determined, or at least have hypotheses tested and retested and results replicated etc.  so not words you can apply to beliefs.

On 8/18/2018 at 5:13 PM, JamesBrown said:

--Marcus Aurelius

I love my children more than myself.

I agree. All that's needed here on Earth for life to survive is water and a little energy to make it liquid. Well, in the universe, there is abundant water and energy. so I can't think of a reason life would rise here and not elsewhere.

As for intelligent life that we can interact with, well that's another matter. The universe may be teeming with bacterial life, but is there anyone out there who will pick up a phone?

inclined to agree with james, given how specifically attuned the earth is that allows life to thrive here, yes mathematically there is life elsewhere even possibly beyond the microbial scale. but sentient? i don't think so. 

I think the universe is so large it's almost impossible for there not to be sentient life elsewhere. I'd bet on it.

Interesting tidbit. 

"The Vatican’s robust astronomy program, run by an Argentinean Jesuit named Father José Gabriel Funes, is part of that search. The Vatican Observatory is headquartered in Italy at Castel Gandolfo, where the Pope has a summer villa. But it also operates a telescope at the Mount Graham International Observatory at the University of Arizona. Funes has said for years that there’s no conflict between the possibility of alien life — even intelligent life — and the teachings of the Catholic Church. “Just as there is a multiplicity of creatures on Earth, there can be other beings, even intelligent, created by God,” Funes said in 2008. “This is not in contrast with our faith because we can’t put limits on God’s creative freedom.”

while personally i couldn't care less what the vatican has to say, i do agree. God is infinite and He is a Creator. there's no reason to think he stopped creating at earth. and its entirely possible for sentient life to be out there. there are no limits. i just personally dont think there is. and its based on nothing more than my gut. which is why i hold loosely to it

life yes. sentient self aware creating beings? nah. 

if there are i dont think we'll see them this side of armageddon. if they can make it here i dont see any good reason for them to interact. not with how we are as a global society. 

Oh, they may be sentient but not able to travel at warp speed or put themselves in suspended animation to get here. Same as we are. 

What benefits does art provide society? Does it hurt society in any way?

Edited by Ryrin