Group Setting / Home : The Citadel

Thanks to Taymist and Matalina for collating this information

General Information / History: 

The Citadel is the Band's 'base of operations'. Construction began shortly after the Battle of Bandar Eban (DM's version of Falme).  The Ogier were contracted for construction, and everything the Band could afford was put into the project, making it a speedy process from the start. Members of the Black Tower also assisted following the formation of the BT/Band alliance, completing works in record time. 

The Citadel lies in the Two Rivers at the base of the Mountains of Mist. It's 90 miles north east of the Wolfkin Stedding, between the Stedding and Emonds Field.

Security/Approach:

Nobody approaches the Citadel without being seen. Surrounding areas are heavily patrolled, and guard houses exist in each of the local villages. Access for your average Joe Brigand is generally limited to entry through Taren Ferry and the permanent guards at the Waygate.

The Citadel itself is designed in a triangular arrangement with massive stone walls (grey granite) forming formidable outer protection, and there are equally impressive stone watchtowers in each corner.  

Layout:

The (vast) area inside the Citadel walls can essentially be divided into: The Red Keep (military headquarters and barracks); Training Yards; and General Areas (City, Grove, Field of the Fallen), as outlined below.

image.thumb.png.e26b36bac8743b4323b425ef41481cca.png

The Red Keep:

The Keep Headquarters is an extremely imposing building. It houses the highest-ranking Officers in the Band and much of the military planning/political action.

The Barracks of the various divisions are arranged around a central multi-story amoury and mess hall. The 'lower' end of the Red Keep includes stables, a military hospital and prison cells, as well as workshops of various Band-employed guild members (blacksmiths, engineers etc).

The Training yards include pasture/farming space and areas for training in formation (on foot or horseback), as well as specific sparring yards, an archery range and a cavalry course.

General City:

The city area is well-equipped and provides much of the Band's general accommodation and services. One particular inn, The Gap Inn is considered large enough to rival those in Tar Valon.

Next to the city is a grove, planted in honour of the Ogier masons, and the military cemetery (Field of the Fallen), with beautiful wrought-iron gates and haunting rows of white crosses engraved on memory of lives lost in service to the Band.

Outside:

Built alongside the Citadel following the formation of the alliance between the Band and the BT, an Embassy of the Black Tower sits near to the main gates. An enclosed compound, it features basic headquarters and housing for between 10 and 20 Asha'man, and an area specifically reserved for creating Gateways.