DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

July Chitter Chatter

Ryrin

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. I still remember the first time I ever had it. We were visiting relatives in California in 1992, and we went out to an ice cream parlor, and I had never seen Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream before (which is really weird now to think about but no place near us had it growing up), and I remember thinking "they put cookie dough in Vanilla?!" Since Vanilla was my favorite before that, this was a wonderful revelation. 

On 7/8/2018 at 3:03 PM, Minuet said:

Cheesecake with blueberries and graham cracker crumbs  That is if I am at Cold Stone.

Store bought I prefer mint chocolate chip

I love Cold Stone. Banana with Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

3 hours ago, Cross said:

cookie dough, mint chocolate chip, rocky road, chocolate, expresso, cake batter, cookie butter. .......

what? i have an ice cream maker

I have an electric one we have never used.

11 hours ago, Dar'Jen Ab Owain said:

Cookies and cream. It's been my favorite since I was a kid.

But there are times when plain vanilla is best, especially with mixes with other flavors for floats and such.

I have to agree on that. Vanilla is such a rich, strong, vibrant flavor as long as people don't 'cut' it. I think it gets a bad rap because for some reason they insist on making the ice cream a boring color. If they made ice cream the actual color of vanilla (dark, rich, brown), I think people would stop conflating it with 'plain.'  Also, if people always made it with real vanilla. I've had some 'vanilla' ice creams with almost no vanilla in them whatsoever and so it's basically 'cream' flavored instead. I do love that it goes with pretty much every other flavor though (or is the base for so many other ice cream flavors.) 

A roommate of ours bought imitation vanilla once for cooking. When she moved out she kindly left it... I had to throw it away. It was terrible. It tasted 'nothing' like actual vanilla!  

to do that though would require food coloring. and there is a growing group of people who dont want to eat a bunch of food coloring. vanilla ice cream is the color because that's simply the color of iced cream. the beans themselves don't impart nearly any color to what they touch, only flavor. and vanilla extract much they same, it can tinge a white a little beige but thats about it.

5 hours ago, LadyWordsmith said:

Also, if people always made it with real vanilla.

I agree real vanilla is very flavorful and yummy.

Also, if you are making homemade ice cream, consider using vanilla sugar. You take your sugar and seal it with a vanilla bean for 2 weeks and you get vanilla sugar. Adds to the favoring the natural way.

• Club Leader

I just bought some Blue Bunny that has caramel ice cream, caramel ribbons and little chocolate pieces filled with caramel. It's a nice change from the usual caramel praline ice cream that I can't have, since I can't eat nuts anymore. 

Sounds delicious. We eat ice cream maybe 3 times a year now due to my blood sugar/ prediabetes status. Hubby reversed his by ditching the ice cream, bread and donuts. I am struggling. At least my numbers are improving. I miss ice cream, however. 

Cookie dough anything these days. But i'm a BIG fan of subtle flavor palette such as Almond Pistachio, and Matcha. :D

And, now once again in between jobs. tho the next one is working for the husband... so just waiting on fingerprints and sign-offs from the main company. So super busy these days. (like always..)

7 hours ago, Minuet said:

Sounds delicious. We eat ice cream maybe 3 times a year now due to my blood sugar/ prediabetes status. Hubby reversed his by ditching the ice cream, bread and donuts. I am struggling. At least my numbers are improving. I miss ice cream, however. 

Try to do something now. I didn't and now I have diabetes.

34 minutes ago, Arie said:

Cookie dough anything these days. But i'm a BIG fan of subtle flavor palette such as Almond Pistachio, and Matcha. :D

And, now once again in between jobs. tho the next one is working for the husband... so just waiting on fingerprints and sign-offs from the main company. So super busy these days. (like always..)

My husband likes pistachio ice cream!

On 7/10/2018 at 7:33 AM, LadyWordsmith said:

I have to agree on that. Vanilla is such a rich, strong, vibrant flavor as long as people don't 'cut' it. I think it gets a bad rap because for some reason they insist on making the ice cream a boring color. If they made ice cream the actual color of vanilla (dark, rich, brown), I think people would stop conflating it with 'plain.'  Also, if people always made it with real vanilla. I've had some 'vanilla' ice creams with almost no vanilla in them whatsoever and so it's basically 'cream' flavored instead. I do love that it goes with pretty much every other flavor though (or is the base for so many other ice cream flavors.) 

A roommate of ours bought imitation vanilla once for cooking. When she moved out she kindly left it... I had to throw it away. It was terrible. It tasted 'nothing' like actual vanilla!  

Totally agree. I love the flavor and sent of vanilla but it needs to be real. Have you seen the price of a vanilla bean? :-O

On 7/13/2018 at 7:04 PM, Cross said:

just made brownie batter ice cream with brownie bites in it

Yum!  I didn't eat any but I was at a gathering and someone made brownies with nuts in a cast iron skillet!

13 hours ago, LilyElizabeth said:

I just bought some Blue Bunny that has caramel ice cream, caramel ribbons and little chocolate pieces filled with caramel. It's a nice change from the usual caramel praline ice cream that I can't have, since I can't eat nuts anymore. 

Was it good?

How come you can't eat nuts anymore?

8 hours ago, Ryrin said:

Totally agree. I love the flavor and sent of vanilla but it needs to be real. Have you seen the price of a vanilla bean? :-O

Yes! Or even the price of real vanilla extract. A friend of mine was moving once and in cleaning out her kitchen of 'extra things' gave me a 'pint' bottle of mexican vanilla for free. It was amazing! Lasted me years even with all the baking I do (and my liberal use of vanilla in baking.)