DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Supercon - Discworld

Elaevia

Hi all  - welcome to the Gray Ajah's Discworld thread!

There are many things that I love about this series (one of the many things!) is B.. S Johnsons' ability to make things that don't work the way they are meant to and similarly Leonard of Qurim's inability to name his great inventions. One of my favourites is the 'Going-Under-The-Water-Safely' device because it submerges on a marine environment.

Do you have a favourite?

Could you name something in a Quirmish way?

I have to confess that I'm new to Discworld. My first introduction was listening to an audiobook of Unseen Academicals last month, and I found enough wry witticisms in there to decide to start with The Colour of Magic and see what happens.

I don't know what "Quirmish" means, but here are some quotes from The Colour of Magic that I enjoyed.

It is a little known but true fact that a two legged creature can usually beat a four legged creature over a short distance, simply because of the time it takes the quadruped to get its legs sorted out.

Rincewind tried to force the memory out of his mind, but it was rather enjoying itself there, terrorizing the other occupants and kicking over the furniture.

Only elves and trolls had survived the coming of Man to the Discworld; the elves because they were altogether too clever by half, and the trollen folk because they were at least as good as humans at being nasty, spiteful and greedy.

And from Unseen Academicals

“The female mind is certainly a devious one, my lord."
Vetinari looked at his secretary in surprise. "Well, of course it is. It has to deal with the male one.”

“Contrary to popular belief and hope, people don't usually come running when they hear a scream. That's not how humans work. Humans look at other humans and say, 'Did you hear a scream?' because the first scream might have been you screaming inside your head, or a horse backfiring.”

“I would like permission to fetch a note from my mother, sir'

Ridcully sighed. 'Rincewind, you once informed me, to my everlasting puzzlement, that you never knew your mother because she ran away before you were born. Distinctly remember writing it down in my diary. Would you like another try?'

'Permission to go and find my mother?' ”

“The last thing she wanted was to see her friend getting ideas in her head. There was such a lot of room in there for them to bounce around and do damage.”

oooo, Unseen Academicals is actually my least favourite, except for one small cameo. The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic have a different feel for the rest, and for me he starts to hit the tone that carrys through the rest shortly afterwards  and certainly by about ummmm ....... Guards Guards. 

OMG you have sooooo much to look forward to James Brown, if only you knew! :)

A Quirmism might be.... 'the floor dirt sucking machine that socks get stuck in' (and the  your husband cuts it apart to get the sock out so then it won't suck any more. not holding a grudge.)

Edited by Elaevia

• Elgee locked this topic