DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Supercon - The Dresden Files

blank

The Brown Ajah invites you to take part and geek out in our first ever SUPERCON

This year we will be hosting a Dresden Files discussion!

9780451461971-us.jpg

For those who don't know the Dresden files is an urban fantasy series written by Jim Butcher and without giving too much away has wizards and vampires and wolves oh my!

Well, werewolves to be more precise.

It currently has 15 books with more to come.

Spoiler Policy.

General stuff is ok. Example, "I really like the character Mary Sue, she's funny and tough and I identify with that."

Specific stuff is not ok. Example "I really like Mary Sue because of that time she punched the main character in the face because it was revealed he was her long-lost husband who died in the war."

I do love spoilers so feel free to use spoilers tags. If you are very vigilant about avoiding spoilers do not follow this post by email as spoiler tags do not show up in an email. Alright, here we go!

I'm going to try and pop in with a question about once a day but feel free to get the discussion going and ask your own!

Question 1

What made you pick up the Dresden Files?

Or

If you've not read it...what's stopping you?

I have to say, I'm just not a fan of urban fantasy.

Fantasy? Fine. Urban fiction, especially crime fiction? Fine. But somehow when the two are mixed I can't enjoy it. I've picked up the first book more than once and set it down without regret after 50 pages.

But I recognize talent enough to know that the issue is with me. I'm not one of those cantankerous sorts who thinks, "What on earth do you people see in this rot?"

my best friend kept recommending it, it inspired him on several ideas for one of our comics. and plus he just enjoyed it. so finally sis got me some for my birthday a year or two ago. been making my way through it ever since. the humor and gore is was keeps me entertained. and the realism. which is odd to say for fantasy, but dresden keeps it real, has limits.

I'm about halfway through the 1st book, and ended up putting it down when I moved back across the country. I keep saying I'm going to pick it back up when we get settled! I am really enjoying it, which surprised me, because generally I do not like urban/modern fantasy. Harry is just such a cantankerous git, I can't help but enjoy him so far!! :biggrin:

The Dresden Files is by far one of the greatest series I've read - it's a relatively easy read and I love hearing the story from Harry's POV.

5 hours ago, Mrs. Cindy Gill said:

Everybody I knew well has been telling me to read these forever. Took a while to get past the name but once I did, I loved the books. I'd have rethought the name though.

I'm curious as to why and what you would have replaced it with?

5 hours ago, WolfbrotherKronos said:

The Dresden Files is by far one of the greatest series I've read - it's a relatively easy read and I love hearing the story from Harry's POV.

I'm curious as to why and what you would have replaced it with?

Anything that didn't bring to mind a terrible time and place in history that afaik has nothing to do with the books?

A friend of mine loved the books and would always read them next to me in class and laugh a lot. I have made it through the first book and a half, and I kind of gave up. I get really annoyed with Dresden and then I'm not attached enough to the story to get over it. May try again at some point. Right now I have a huge enough "to read" pile (no, seriously, there is a huge pile of library books on my headboard's shelf and I own books I've yet to read...)

On 01/07/2018 at 11:50 PM, JamesBrown said:

I have to say, I'm just not a fan of urban fantasy.

Fantasy? Fine. Urban fiction, especially crime fiction? Fine. But somehow when the two are mixed I can't enjoy it. I've picked up the first book more than once and set it down without regret after 50 pages.

But I recognize talent enough to know that the issue is with me. I'm not one of those cantankerous sorts who thinks, "What on earth do you people see in this rot?"

I totally get you! I’m a big fan of urban fantasy though. But I would say it’s different from the usual fare but I’m not sure if it will be different *enough* for you hahha

Question 2

Do you have a favourite character? 

Mine is Thomas. Cant resist a tortured soul. 

Oh I do love Karrin. And Michael. Maybe Michael is my favourite. He's just so good. 

Question 3.

Dresden files deals with a lot of wizards, werewolves and vampires etc. Certain books revolve  around certain groups. Do you have a favourite?

In this book series mine is the Fae. I really love what Jim Butcher did with the whole Court systems. In most books I'm usually a staunch werewolf fan so this surprised me!

think i have to jump on the fae bandwagon here, though his introduction of the vampires really caught my eye. it was a different imagining of it. i'm not that super far into all the books so there may be more vampire based ones coming that could sway me that way. but like tress said, summer knight really really showed a developed world, hierarchy etc